Hitcher wrote:I've no idea but that would seem the sensible option, oh wait this is RM!clashcityrocker wrote:If, (assuming I have understood this correctly) they are finishing early on light days and not claiming o/t on the heavier days (no o/t claims on heavier days, no lapsing on lighter days) why don't they just alter the longs and shorts to reflect the reality of the working week?
Take 15 minutes from Mon/Tues and add them to Thurs/Fri or whatever?
EDIT: And those who do make a stand either end up getting sacked for some little discrepancy (PTs) or life is made very hard for them by having their round become one of the lapsed ones (FTs).
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
actual policy
-
twobags
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
- Gender: Male
Re: actual policy
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Re: actual policy
twobags wrote:Hitcher wrote:I've no idea but that would seem the sensible option, oh wait this is RM!clashcityrocker wrote:If, (assuming I have understood this correctly) they are finishing early on light days and not claiming o/t on the heavier days (no o/t claims on heavier days, no lapsing on lighter days) why don't they just alter the longs and shorts to reflect the reality of the working week?
Take 15 minutes from Mon/Tues and add them to Thurs/Fri or whatever?
EDIT: And those who do make a stand either end up getting sacked for some little discrepancy (PTs) or life is made very hard for them by having their round become one of the lapsed ones (FTs).![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
thanks hitcher but thats only half of it
Or how about they fill your working day?
Just because you finish delivery before the set time should not mean that you go home. There must be something to do in the office?
If, you are told there is nothing to do and are sent home ; then fine.
Surely , longs and shorts should be a thing of the past? All they do is encourage the false manipulation of hours and working practices
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16730
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: actual policy
I don't understand this bit.hampshireman wrote:
Surely , longs and shorts should be a thing of the past? All they do is encourage the false manipulation of hours and working practices
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Re: actual policy
Clash; Maybe I don't either.clashcityrocker wrote:I don't understand this bit.hampshireman wrote:
Surely , longs and shorts should be a thing of the past? All they do is encourage the false manipulation of hours and working practices
I think what I am saying is that all days should be equal. 8 hours or whatever is your day. Work should be made to fill that day ; rather than manipulate the working day.
longs and shorts encourages abuse. In my previous office (where i was full time) we had two short (7 hour) days.
One a Tuesday (light day) the other a Saturday (not a light day)
Tuesday was great for the runners and flyers.
Saturday was great for the early starters.
The manipulation is around the falseness of the hours worked by the office to clear the office.
Working practice is about the allowance of people working out of their hours (for the square root of eff all) to ensure they finish before their time.
I'll give up today ; I know what I want to say but can't articulate today
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: actual policy
Something along the lines of employee knows they have "x" amount of time to deliver the walk they are assigned to, but instead of following correct procedures everyday without fail (which might mean daily conflicts with lino to either cut off or authorise o/t), they change the speed they work at (while breaking security and health/safety rules, maybe sacrificing paid meal relief breaks too) to get the whole walk delivered within the days contracted hours without needing to claim o/t?hampshireman wrote:Clash; Maybe I don't either.clashcityrocker wrote:I don't understand this bit.hampshireman wrote:
Surely , longs and shorts should be a thing of the past? All they do is encourage the false manipulation of hours and working practices
I think what I am saying is that all days should be equal. 8 hours or whatever is your day. Work should be made to fill that day ; rather than manipulate the working day.
longs and shorts encourages abuse. In my previous office (where i was full time) we had two short (7 hour) days.
One a Tuesday (light day) the other a Saturday (not a light day)
Tuesday was great for the runners and flyers.
Saturday was great for the early starters.
The manipulation is around the falseness of the hours worked by the office to clear the office.
Working practice is about the allowance of people working out of their hours (for the square root of eff all) to ensure they finish before their time.
I'll give up today ; I know what I want to say but can't articulate today
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Re: actual policy
Nicely putIloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Something along the lines of employee knows they have "x" amount of time to deliver the walk they are assigned to, but instead of following correct procedures everyday without fail (which might mean daily conflicts with lino to either cut off or authorise o/t), they change the speed they work at (while breaking security and health/safety rules, maybe sacrificing paid meal relief breaks too) to get the whole walk delivered within the days contracted hours without needing to claim o/t?hampshireman wrote:Clash; Maybe I don't either.clashcityrocker wrote:I don't understand this bit.hampshireman wrote:
Surely , longs and shorts should be a thing of the past? All they do is encourage the false manipulation of hours and working practices
I think what I am saying is that all days should be equal. 8 hours or whatever is your day. Work should be made to fill that day ; rather than manipulate the working day.
longs and shorts encourages abuse. In my previous office (where i was full time) we had two short (7 hour) days.
One a Tuesday (light day) the other a Saturday (not a light day)
Tuesday was great for the runners and flyers.
Saturday was great for the early starters.
The manipulation is around the falseness of the hours worked by the office to clear the office.
Working practice is about the allowance of people working out of their hours (for the square root of eff all) to ensure they finish before their time.
I'll give up today ; I know what I want to say but can't articulate today
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: actual policy
There is nothing wrong with Long & Shorts if they accurately reflect the workload on particular days and are applied fairly through agreement.
What they should do is reduce or remove the need for absorption on short days when the traffic is down and reduce or remove the need to resource through overtime on the days when traffic is higher.
In theory at least...this protects jobs.
What they should do is reduce or remove the need for absorption on short days when the traffic is down and reduce or remove the need to resource through overtime on the days when traffic is higher.
In theory at least...this protects jobs.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share