No I don't like the DS for 2 reasons 1. Up till this year I was worse off because of it. 2. I think the application of it to non delivery staff is unfair. I think the old D2D system, although it had its faults was probably fairer than the new system.Himaggen wrote:That's not specific to full / part timers though!TrueBlueTerrier wrote:But don't forget the ESA1 and ESA2 Full timers lost which it appears a lot of PT forget, that went into the DS pot as well.
I personally lost approx £30 a week on D2Ds and £12 on ESA and gained £20 - total lost £22. 30hr PTimers did not get ESA but lost £30 on D2Ds and got £16 on DS - for a loss of £14.
I'm part time and always have been, I lost both D2D & ESA and gained only £16. The only difference between myself and a full timer is that they do more indoor work. I prep all of my D2D and deliver all of them too along with all of the mail; meaning that I should receive 100% 'delivery' supplement because I'm 'delivering' 100% of the mail.
However if you got the full DS supplement because you do a full delivery how do you address fairness in these situations.
1. A rural doing 6 - 8 hours on delivery - should they have a higher DS than a 3.5 - 4.5 townie. (but on average they probably deliver fewer D2Ds)
2. If someone is on light duties would they forgo part or all of their DS.
3. What about those who do Saturday only deliveries should they get the same full whack as everyone else or base it on hours or days.
4. If you based it on hours then that the system we have now. If you base it on hours delivering then you have the situation at 1.
5. Or should we base it on days - if we do that then those doing delivery only 25 hour weeks over 5 days would get significantly more than those who do 3 x 8 hour days certainly more than is fair because of 1 hour difference in contract.
6. What about those duties that have had a reasonable adjustment under DDA and do less outdoor time - surely it would be discrimination if they ended up on worse pay.
I really dislike the DS/D2D changover, but I think that IF RM were going to withdraw the D2D allowance then the Union have in my estimation come up with the least worst method of sharing it out. Not the best, but the least worst.
Also don't forget the D2D payment was an allowance where as DS is a pay supplement, therefore the rules are different and DDA etc all comes into play.