ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Overtime

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by chrisj »

P13 wrote:
chrisj wrote:I did something similar today - however, I actually a full work on overtime as well as my walk. 1/2 a walk is 3 hours and a full work is 6 hours on overtime (+ own duty) regardless of who preps the walk.

The manager offered me 7.5 hours previously but as I was finishing he increased it to 8 hours. However, this probably for goodwill as we are desperately short and I have done loads of OT as well as helping with prepping and redirection; sometimes unpaid

So, if I were you, I will claim at least 1.5 hours for the prepping on top of the 6 hours.

I should like to add that overtime on top of your own duty is not just about how long the job takes: It should include additional break and an incentive for the inconvenience. And when on delivery OT should also include additional break, massive inconvenience and goodwill as well as cost of petrol and/or travel time.

So if half a walk takes about 1.50 hours to 2 hours then it should be about 3 hours paid.

Before anyone says, I am a mug or hero; I only do it for the money and to help junior managers and the really kind ones.
You could always add another bit to cover the extra cost of insurance and wear and tear for using your own car :arrrghhh
There is a tacit sort of agreement in this case; the only thing missing is that it was not firm and hours/money was not entrenched. The poster did not go over in his round but was asked to prep a walk and he took half of that walk on OT along with his regular walk. The postman does not have a chance of adding anything to the pay details without the managers/phg depending on the office.

fishtank, I presume you work in deliveries not mail centre? Or do you folks actually use overtime slip or dockets in your office. My manager was dead against it and I have not seen it used since I started working in delivery.