ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Starting tomorrow
-
mailmonkey
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 22:12
- Gender: Male
Re: Starting tomorrow
Managers take the piss to their hearts content with new starters, then constantly threaten those who don't toe the line with non-renewal of the temporary contract, not continuing past the trial period etc, that's why the poor bstrds do it....
Don't blame the new starters for working over, they just want to keep their jobs
Don't blame the new starters for working over, they just want to keep their jobs
-
fng
- Posts: 462
- Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Starting tomorrow
My OT rate goes up after 10 hrsIndy wrote:Other way round isn't it? after 10 hrs it goes DOWNRoyal_Fail wrote:Cheeky bastards heres a 24 hour part time contract but erm we'll need you to work 30-40 hours this should not be allowed.
Yes you will be paid over time rate but its not much different to normal rate till you go over 10 hours OT even then it still sucks welcome to royal mail btw
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
-
briantwigley
- Posts: 135
- Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 18:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Starting tomorrow
If its anything like me you get a 20 minute induction video, a quick read through some crap then straight out hitting the streets. Forgot to bring any food so I was starving, managed to get an 80's style waterproof jacket that went to my ankles though. 3 days training then straight on a duty on my own. No fire training no nothing. But its great really.
-
BoltonPostie
- Posts: 328
- Joined: 09 Jul 2007, 17:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Up s**t creek.
Re: Starting tomorrow
you forgot to mention the dry humping then?briantwigley wrote:If its anything like me you get a 20 minute induction video, a quick read through some crap then straight out hitting the streets. Forgot to bring any food so I was starving, managed to get an 80's style waterproof jacket that went to my ankles though. 3 days training then straight on a duty on my own. No fire training no nothing. But its great really.
Also never when in the office with a manager on no occasion if he drops his pen on the floor bend over to pick it up.
The grabbing hands
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
-
2old4this
- Posts: 130
- Joined: 08 Dec 2009, 13:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Starting tomorrow
AJ1987 wrote:Finally starting tomorrow, well induction tomorrow and then start at the office on Tuesday. Just a few questions.
Only tonight I downloaded the attachments on the 'Welcome to Royal Mail' email. Am i right in thinking I should of included them in the envelope that I posted the signed copy of my contract off in..oops? (they're an 'agreement to work additional hours' form and a 'P46' form)
The contract I'm on is 24hours, starting at 8.30am-2.30pm. My DOM contacted me about two weeks ago and indicated I'd probably be working more hours and be starting at 7am. Will I be paid an overtime rate for any hours I do over my contracted 24 or is it a standard rate upto working 40hours?
Bit nervous about tomorrow! says to wear 'smart casual' clothing. Any ideas what the induction entails? Don't want to go either looking too scruffy nor do I wana wear fancy gear if I'm gona be out getting 'hands on' so to speak haha.
cheers!
Blimey how its changed. When I started it was 2 weeks at the school by charing cross, then 2 weeks out with another postman learning the walk.
-
BoltonPostie
- Posts: 328
- Joined: 09 Jul 2007, 17:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Up s**t creek.
Re: Starting tomorrow
Pre Boer war service doesn't count.2old4this wrote:AJ1987 wrote:Finally starting tomorrow, well induction tomorrow and then start at the office on Tuesday. Just a few questions.
Only tonight I downloaded the attachments on the 'Welcome to Royal Mail' email. Am i right in thinking I should of included them in the envelope that I posted the signed copy of my contract off in..oops? (they're an 'agreement to work additional hours' form and a 'P46' form)
The contract I'm on is 24hours, starting at 8.30am-2.30pm. My DOM contacted me about two weeks ago and indicated I'd probably be working more hours and be starting at 7am. Will I be paid an overtime rate for any hours I do over my contracted 24 or is it a standard rate upto working 40hours?
Bit nervous about tomorrow! says to wear 'smart casual' clothing. Any ideas what the induction entails? Don't want to go either looking too scruffy nor do I wana wear fancy gear if I'm gona be out getting 'hands on' so to speak haha.
cheers!
Blimey how its changed. When I started it was 2 weeks at the school by charing cross, then 2 weeks out with another postman learning the walk.
The grabbing hands
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Starting tomorrow
Was it John Cleese or someone else from the Ministry.2old4this wrote:
Blimey how its changed. When I started it was 2 weeks at the school by charing cross, then 2 weeks out with another postman learning the walk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Starting tomorrow
Well that's their choice. Personally I enjoy sleeping until 8.00am. I'm pretty sure we've established in the past that you and I are (probably) at the same office, so you see what I see. Sometimes I'm five minutes either side of 8.50 due to the unpredictability of my five-mile bike journey, but I always try to start on time or thereabouts. Doesn't really bother me finishing at 1.50 either (I take my break even though our duties are built with them on the end), something which, as a reserve, is a very likely occurrence on the heavier days, on walks you don't know.fng wrote:I couldn't agree more.taurus88 wrote:Always amazes me walking in to a virtually empty office at 8.50, part-timers and all. They start the same time as me but they've already left.fng wrote: My training guy told me to be in at 8 ish on my second day as that is when he comes in to prep the walk....... he and I only get paid from 8:50....... he was in at 8 I was in at 8:49 ( igave them a minute of my time, as it was my first week and i wanted to show willing)I just don't get it. If these guys were young kids that didn't know any better, then maybe, but these are proper grown ups that should know that working un paid is not a good thing. I questioned a couple when i first started, who both came in at least 30 mins early and they both said they like to finish before their time as they are getting away with getting paid while not actually working...... i kid you not.
![]()
![]()
-
pike23
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 12 Feb 2010, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Starting tomorrow
when i started, i did my induction day, a day training with a postman and the following day i went in i was greeted with "we are short staffed today.. fancy doing a walk on your own" to which i agreed to and got hopeless lost at times!

-
BillyPosty
- Posts: 237
- Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 13:12
- Gender: Male
Re: Starting tomorrow
How did it go AJ? Hopefully you're not still roaming the streets at this hour 
-
taptap
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 14 Oct 2011, 12:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: The gap where the letters go
Re: Starting tomorrow
Dont, walk away leave now, go back to whatever you were doing..If you stay...well good luck. 
-
AJ1987
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 29 Apr 2012, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Starting tomorrow
Yesterday - The Induction - wasn't great. Me and 5 others in a classroom all day just watching videos and listening to a woman blabber on really. Each took a turn to push a York and lift a bag. Literally about it. Was there from 9 - 5 and apparently it used to last 3days! God knows how they managed to make it last a day let alone 3.
Today was my first day at my actual office. Arrived and was taken to the DOM. She seemed nice enough to be fair and showed me around and introduced me to a few people. Then had a chat with me in her office. Put alot of pressure on me to use my own car to do the round but luckily enough the guy who im shadowing is the union rep and he told he that i didnt want to use it. The DOM didnt seem best pleased, can't help wondering if this is going to hurt my chances of being kept on. Also worried im gona be keeping te guy who drops me off in the mornings waiting while i sort everything out and bundle things up :/
Followed the guy round on the walk today and he basically gave me the bundles to post and showed me where to go etc. With him now until Friday I think and then Saturday im on my own. Can't help thinking im going to get totally lost! Tomorrow im going to be doing more of the sorting i think and then taking the lead out on delivery. Enjoying it so far just abit worried about the whole car situation! It isnt actually my car it's my GF's and shes going to be needing it in a few weeks so..
Today was my first day at my actual office. Arrived and was taken to the DOM. She seemed nice enough to be fair and showed me around and introduced me to a few people. Then had a chat with me in her office. Put alot of pressure on me to use my own car to do the round but luckily enough the guy who im shadowing is the union rep and he told he that i didnt want to use it. The DOM didnt seem best pleased, can't help wondering if this is going to hurt my chances of being kept on. Also worried im gona be keeping te guy who drops me off in the mornings waiting while i sort everything out and bundle things up :/
Followed the guy round on the walk today and he basically gave me the bundles to post and showed me where to go etc. With him now until Friday I think and then Saturday im on my own. Can't help thinking im going to get totally lost! Tomorrow im going to be doing more of the sorting i think and then taking the lead out on delivery. Enjoying it so far just abit worried about the whole car situation! It isnt actually my car it's my GF's and shes going to be needing it in a few weeks so..
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Starting tomorrow
AJ1987 wrote:Enjoying it so far just abit worried about the whole car situation! It isnt actually my car it's my GF's and shes going to be needing it in a few weeks so..
If you are looking for an easy way out just tell them that your insurance company has refused permission or are asking for a ridiculous premium which can happen but the bottom line is...it's your choice and only an idiot would agree to using there own car.RM Private Cars On Delivery Procedure
Q29. Does Royal Mail encourage employees to use their private cars?
A. No. We will not stop you as long as the journey is legally insured and that you have met all the other criteria. If you do not want to, that is fine by us. Official acceleration, either by bus, bike or crew bus, will be provided as appropriate and as planned for your delivery.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Starting tomorrow
I also thought the car had to be owned by youfishtank wrote:AJ1987 wrote:Enjoying it so far just abit worried about the whole car situation! It isnt actually my car it's my GF's and shes going to be needing it in a few weeks so..If you are looking for an easy way out just tell them that your insurance company has refused permission or are asking for a ridiculous premium which can happen but the bottom line is...it's your choice and only an idiot would agree to using there own car.RM Private Cars On Delivery Procedure
Q29. Does Royal Mail encourage employees to use their private cars?
A. No. We will not stop you as long as the journey is legally insured and that you have met all the other criteria. If you do not want to, that is fine by us. Official acceleration, either by bus, bike or crew bus, will be provided as appropriate and as planned for your delivery.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Starting tomorrow
It changed.DGP1 wrote: I also thought the car had to be owned by you
Q22. The car I drive is not my own and I am a named driver on another person’s insurance. Will I be insured to drive on business use?
A Yes provided you have declared the car as the vehicle to be used, it is owned by your domestic partner or another close family member, you have informed the insurers, and you have the consent of the owner to use it.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share