ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

socks...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: socks...

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

DGP1 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I darn mine :oops:
I sometimes use harsh language too :nervous :chuckle :chuckle
ImageImage
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: socks...

Post by krussel »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I darn mine :oops:

Blimey does anyone still do that, teebs "really" :shock: :Very Happy

I ve been through loads of branded socks and they all wear out quick. They are just not designed for 4 hours of solid walking a day unless you buy expensive pro socks which i have tried but found them too hot with wool.

I tend to buy M&S or the higher range Sainsby 80% cotton 20% poly mix. They prob last a few wears till the toes give out to a hole. :shock:

I would give very cheap socks a miss as they normally dont last the day and rub your feet. :sad:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: socks...

Post by chunk »

DGP1 wrote:My socks wear out too, I use 2 pairs now which seems to help, one thin pair and a thick pair over that.
same here with the thick pair on the outside.

don't do it the other way or you will get through the thin pairs very quickly.

why one of each? i find 2 thick pairs too warm!
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: socks...

Post by dvbuk55 »

estelle wrote:toenails are short - and I'm sure I'll regret saying this, but, I have the issue at both ends :whistle
I believe you can have botox for the front and may I suggest a cork for the back :chuckle you just knew didn't you :chuckle
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: socks...

Post by DGP1 »

dvbuk55 wrote:
estelle wrote:toenails are short - and I'm sure I'll regret saying this, but, I have the issue at both ends :whistle
I believe you can have botox for the front and may I suggest a cork for the back :chuckle you just knew didn't you :chuckle
And I resisted too :wink:
Off to the naughty room with you...........I'll be along in a moment :Very Happy
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: socks...

Post by dvbuk55 »

DGP1 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
estelle wrote:toenails are short - and I'm sure I'll regret saying this, but, I have the issue at both ends :whistle
I believe you can have botox for the front and may I suggest a cork for the back :chuckle you just knew didn't you :chuckle
And I resisted too :wink:
Off to the naughty room with you...........I'll be along in a moment :Very Happy
I'll be in the usual place and I'll put the kettle on :cuppa
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: socks...

Post by meercat »

Sweat reacts with the material of the sock and causes uit to break down on a molecular level. That's what I've heard anyway and with cotton that would seem realistuic. The answer is to have them washed asap after wearing and don't have them lying around in the washing basket for 3 days where the damage is done.
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

Re: socks...

Post by estelle »

washing the socks daily then is the answer? and there was me thinking I could get away with the same pair a whole week... :shock:

I went out and got some running socks - they seem to cuddle my feet and so far, I'd say they comfortable. Will report back on how long they last though!
Johnny Remo
Posts: 48
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 07:24
Gender: Male

Re: socks...

Post by Johnny Remo »

Keep an eye out for Aldi/Lidl doing their running gear and stock up. The socks are good and a decent price. The cycling socks are pretty good too, but I find the walking ones not as snug fitting.
Zootsuit
Posts: 92
Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 19:49
Gender: Male

Re: socks...

Post by Zootsuit »

1000 mile heavyweight walking socks. Like walking on air, supposed to be guaranteed not to wear out for 1000 miles, they haven't seen the inside of a RM Magnum though have they! Whatever, having worn out a variety of other work and walking socks really quickly I think these ones are excellent - not cheap but you get what you pay for.