in wok is that a new chinese takeaway near youDarren Bent wrote:and if 30 people do that and it will keep another person in wok as well :)
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
buying holidays
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: buying holidays
-
thumpelina
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 19:59
- Gender: Female
Re: buying holidays
I am new to the job (nearly done 3 months) and a single parent. I cannot get more than 3 days together for holiday as dates are all taken, which in effect means no holiday and little time with the kids during the holidays. This seems unfair. Am I to understand that even unpaid holiday will be out of the question for the same reason?
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: buying holidays
I used a wireless keyboard and mouse. So it might be reason for spelling :)bringon4dayweeks wrote:in wok is that a new chinese takeaway near youDarren Bent wrote:and if 30 people do that and it will keep another person in wok as well :)
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32805
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: buying holidays
I'm guessing you've missed putting in for your holidays,it's usually done give or take a month or 3 in Oct.thumpelina wrote:I am new to the job (nearly done 3 months) and a single parent. I cannot get more than 3 days together for holiday as dates are all taken, which in effect means no holiday and little time with the kids during the holidays. This seems unfair. Am I to understand that even unpaid holiday will be out of the question for the same reason?
You 'should' have more scope next year.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Inde Singh
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 03 Feb 2014, 14:33
- Gender: Male
Re: buying holidays
Can this request be refused? And if so on what grounds? 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: buying holidays
Inde Singh wrote:Can this request be refused? And if so on what grounds?
Yes - there is a time limit for applications - usually February.
Apart from that one - none That I am aware of.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Inde Singh
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 03 Feb 2014, 14:33
- Gender: Male
Re: buying holidays
I have been refused on operational issues, I have recently spoken to HR and been told to apply again and raise a grievance against my manager!
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: buying holidays
It's well worth doing, you won't really notice the weekly cost but you will REALLY appreciate the extra time off 
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: buying holidays
the reason will be there is a maximum number of spaces for the number of holiday reserves your office has, so if a certain amount of people buy leave and use up all the space dom then has no one to cover it, hence why he probably refused you, but he is not allowed to do that, if need be he should be covering it ot or bringing in a temporary contract to cover annual leave etcInde Singh wrote:I have been refused on operational issues, I have recently spoken to HR and been told to apply again and raise a grievance against my manager!
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: buying holidays
Applications have to be in by February 28th. Failure to apply by then is basically the only grounds for refusal.Inde Singh wrote:Can this request be refused? And if so on what grounds?
As far as I'm aware, you cannot be refused the chance to buy more leave.
The DOM/Line Managers staffing issues are theirs, not yours.
Equalities and Diversities Act 2008(or 2009?). Others within the company, and your unit probably, have done it.
To refuse you is flat out discrimination. Unfair treatment. Technically, it's favouritism to those that have bought extra leave.
Get the Rep/Area Rep in, get your managers boss involved.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
esporito
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 01 Sep 2014, 22:19
- Gender: Female
Re: buying holidays
Hi can anyone actually tell me how much buying extra holidays will cost?
I am on a 27.5 hour contract so if I want to put my holidays up to 5 or 6 weeks ( 2.5 or 7.5 extra days) how much does that actually cost me in real terms? I've been told various things from 1% to 4% of annual wage...only been in job 1 year and told due to that I will pay more than someone I job say 5 years.
Really I just want to know if buying holidays is a good deal
Thanks.
I am on a 27.5 hour contract so if I want to put my holidays up to 5 or 6 weeks ( 2.5 or 7.5 extra days) how much does that actually cost me in real terms? I've been told various things from 1% to 4% of annual wage...only been in job 1 year and told due to that I will pay more than someone I job say 5 years.
Really I just want to know if buying holidays is a good deal
Thanks.
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: buying holidays
Way Forward Agreement 2000esporito wrote:Hi can anyone actually tell me how much buying extra holidays will cost?
Section 4. ANNUAL LEAVE
Leave purchase option
Over and above standard entitlements, employees with less than 20 years' service will have the chance to
increase their holiday entitlement to (or towards) 6 weeks per year, by foregoing an element of basic pay.
This will offer those employees who might find it attractive to take more time off from work, earlier in their
career, additional annual holidays in lieu of pay. This choice must be exercised for at least one whole leave
year, and for each whole week of additional leave the basic pay will be adjusted by 2%.
-
esporito
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 01 Sep 2014, 22:19
- Gender: Female
Re: buying holidays
Ok so the most I will pay is 2% for a whole week?
Why doesn't my dom know this? He is telling me that I get 22.5 days anyway so can only buy either 2.5 or 7.5 days to make holidays up to either 5 or 6 weeks.
2% for a year to buy 2.5 days (equivalent of around 14 hours) seems a lot.
Why doesn't my dom know this? He is telling me that I get 22.5 days anyway so can only buy either 2.5 or 7.5 days to make holidays up to either 5 or 6 weeks.
2% for a year to buy 2.5 days (equivalent of around 14 hours) seems a lot.
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: buying holidays
Not really a lot. 2%pw over 52 weeks would mean you are paying 104% of a weeks wages to get an extra week's leave. So it's only costing you 4% more than a week's pay. If you are on 27.5 hours I think that would only be about £11-12. I think that's worth it to have a paid week off work. If you have to travel to work you will probably save that on fares. I used to buy the extra leave.
But bear in mind you probably won't be able to take the extra leave when you might want it.
But bear in mind you probably won't be able to take the extra leave when you might want it.
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: buying holidays
He might not know, or he might not want you to buy additional leave because he will have to arrange cover for your duty.esporito wrote:Why doesn't my dom know this?
But that's his problem not yours.