Well new walk again today, bagging up was a nightmare, hardly anyone knew how to bag it up and the regular didn't leave me a sheet out as I asked him to on Saturday.
I managed ok in the end and was back by 1.30 so a much better day than a usual Monday.
Can't believe how much harder some walks are to others, this is my 6th now and one of the easiest so far, last weeks had about 100 more deliveries and was a killer
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
new walk moans
-
kawoxux
- Posts: 300
- Joined: 18 Aug 2011, 19:36
- Gender: Male
Re: new walk moans
Literally never had training on a specific walk. Went out on my first day with someone (on their walk). Since then its just "see how you go"NewPostieUK wrote:We have 'training'. This involves the trainee asking the duty holder how to bag up, as well as how to deliver, where to start, where to finish, where to pick up bags etc.
Trainee follows duty holder around, helping occasionally, and making notes.
We used to generally get two days training, but now it seems one day is the norm.
I heard of people doing walks 'blind', but this seems to be locals who know the area very well, or two people doing one walk, helping each other, and having time to look at maps, ask around etc.
-
muzzy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: new walk moans
Lol, yeah I bet that was embarrassing.
Thankfully my iPhone and google maps usually sort me out when I'm unsure where to go next. Just type in the house number and road and follow the dot, it's like having satnav
Thankfully my iPhone and google maps usually sort me out when I'm unsure where to go next. Just type in the house number and road and follow the dot, it's like having satnav
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: new walk moans
I must admit that smart phones are a god send for numpties like me with no real sense of direction. 
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
allish123
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 15 Jul 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Re: new walk moans
hi guys ive done 20 odd years and its not the first time ive got lost somewhere new , lol lol in fact it happens to me fairly regular just relax and have a laugh with the people you meet ,it makes the job a lot more bareable.and dont worry if your in a new estate somewhere you have never been to before just phone a lino up an tell em ur lostand come pick you up . theyre paid the big bucks for that. ps its sometimes a good idea to print out a map of the area before you get there 
-
BillyPosty
- Posts: 237
- Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 13:12
- Gender: Male
Re: new walk moans
I do new walks regularly. Our coach is as much use as a chocolate teapot so I just grab someone I've seen do it before and they help me tie it up. I think as long as you know where to park you're not so bad as the bundles (should) lead you back to the car roughly.
I hated doing new walks to begin with but now I think its just another one off the list and if I go over it's a bit of overtime as a bonus.
I hated doing new walks to begin with but now I think its just another one off the list and if I go over it's a bit of overtime as a bonus.