ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Callers Office allowance?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
maninred
Posts: 213
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 20:11
Gender: Male
Location: In trouble....again

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by maninred »

dvbuk55 wrote:
maninred wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
maninred wrote:I get the £30.46 Leadership Allowance every week and the 8 hours SA every Saturday. :dance
How big's your callers office?
We are just a small office with 30 duties. I'm the only one who does the RLE duty.
So why do you get the leadership allowance?
Because I am the Person In Charge (PIC) when the manager goes to the numerous WCM, DOM and various other off-site meetings for the day.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by fishtank »

13. Leadership Allowance

This allowance replaces the existing supervisory postal allowance (sometimes also called PHG “A”
or postal chargeship allowance), but with the criteria for the allowance remaining unchanged
(except that in future payment will be during conditioned hours only). Note that the “A” in PHG “A”
relates to the additional supervisory “Allowance” and not to “A-level” tasks. The allowance reflects
additional supervisory responsibilities and not simply carrying out administrative tasks of the sort
that have always been appropriate to PHG/LA2 grades.


Paid where there are no senior officers present and the following criteria are met (during conditioned
hours only):
(a) supervision is for at least one and three quarter hours a day (separate periods of 30 minutes may be
aggregated)

(b) between 0600 and 2200 there are at least six employees (including the allowance holder) on duty in an office,
section or railway station, and effective supervision cannot be given by a substantive supervisor

(c) primary responsibility is taken for a section of work or employees during the preparation for first delivery and
the sole Manager on duty is in charge of at least 30 employees and is unable to be reasonably expected to exercise
adequate supervision;

(d) in charge of a sorting office or railway station at night with at least four employees (including the
allowance holder) are on duty, or three in the case of a TPO;

(e) exceptionally for a single period of one and a half hours supervision on station duties;

(f) if an inspection has established the need for supervision in addition to that which can be normally provided and
there is a minimum requirement of two hours supervision;

Allowance holders should only be expected to undertake manipulative work during their supervision periods as
long as this is consistent with their being able to exercise effectively the required degree of employee control.

That one maninred... :whistle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by dvbuk55 »

maninred wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
maninred wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
maninred wrote:I get the £30.46 Leadership Allowance every week and the 8 hours SA every Saturday. :dance
How big's your callers office?
We are just a small office with 30 duties. I'm the only one who does the RLE duty.
So why do you get the leadership allowance?
Because I am the Person In Charge (PIC) when the manager goes to the numerous WCM, DOM and various other off-site meetings for the day.
Every day? He must be really involved with such a large office to manage. I'm the only one who does the RLE duty too but we have 160 staff - so I should probably get £150 leadership allowance - I might ask for it when I go back from leave next week :nana Mind I never work Saturdays
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I know you're only asking a question Human...and after all that's what we're here for...but how much do you really think it's worth? I would have thought myself lucky being able to sit inside in the warm and dry instead of being outside on Delivery :hmmmm

Not having a dig mate, but lets get realistic about things, in this business nowadays Posties are being Bullied and Harassed on a daily basis and facing every more unrealistic workloads! The people that run our callers office seem to have a pretty easy ride. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
maninred
Posts: 213
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 20:11
Gender: Male
Location: In trouble....again

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by maninred »

When I first took the job in the RLE my union rep told me to make sure that the DOM paid me the leadership allowance. I asked the DOM about it and he has paid me the allowance every week. I don’t think that I will question him about it. :cuppa
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by dvbuk55 »

maninred wrote:When I first took the job in the RLE my union rep told me to make sure that the DOM paid me the leadership allowance. I asked the DOM about it and he has paid me the allowance every week. I don’t think that I will question him about it. :cuppa
I would be a little bit careful if I was you - what started off as a little perk could end up you paying it all back if HR get wind of the payment without justification.
bedfordrl
Posts: 386
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 22:16
Gender: Male
Location: North East Hampshire

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by bedfordrl »

Dorset Plodder wrote: The people that run our callers office seem to have a pretty easy ride. :cuppa
I wouldn't think that would refer to our office, whoever goes into the cage normally ends up bug eyed with throbbing forehead veins.

When it gets busy it goes mad as they are in on their own answering the phone, answering callers and sorting out the specials,tracks ,van keys etc etc.
Even the mildest mannered posty ends up shouting at the callers bell as the caller gets irate because he is taking so long to answer them because he is the phone sorting out an enquiry etc,

A while ago after our old proper PHGs retired no one wanted the job and we ended up getting new staff in on vacancies and shoving them straight in there, one managed to escape onto a round and one resigned.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by dvbuk55 »

I think new starters should spend a day in the callers office, they will find how important it is to complete the 739 correctly with as much information as possible.
maninred
Posts: 213
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 20:11
Gender: Male
Location: In trouble....again

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by maninred »

dvbuk55 wrote:
maninred wrote:When I first took the job in the RLE my union rep told me to make sure that the DOM paid me the leadership allowance. I asked the DOM about it and he has paid me the allowance every week. I don’t think that I will question him about it. :cuppa
I would be a little bit careful if I was you - what started off as a little perk could end up you paying it all back if HR get wind of the payment without justification.
As far as I am concerned this has been agreed by Royal Mail and the union.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by dvbuk55 »

maninred wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
maninred wrote:When I first took the job in the RLE my union rep told me to make sure that the DOM paid me the leadership allowance. I asked the DOM about it and he has paid me the allowance every week. I don’t think that I will question him about it. :cuppa
I would be a little bit careful if I was you - what started off as a little perk could end up you paying it all back if HR get wind of the payment without justification.
As far as I am concerned this has been agreed by Royal Mail and the union.
Just a cautionary tale here mir, we had a shift that started at 0330, one bloke received the leadership allowance because there was six of us and no manager, the criteria being no manager on site and 5 or more staff to supervise - to cut a long story short the shift went down to 4 but the leadership allowance was paid becvause he had the keys to open up which he wasn't going to do without the additional pay - needless to say he was given it and it continued for a couple of years until the revisions last year. Not only did they stop the payment they wanted the previous two years money paid back.
maninred
Posts: 213
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 20:11
Gender: Male
Location: In trouble....again

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by maninred »

dvbuk55 wrote:
maninred wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
maninred wrote:When I first took the job in the RLE my union rep told me to make sure that the DOM paid me the leadership allowance. I asked the DOM about it and he has paid me the allowance every week. I don’t think that I will question him about it. :cuppa
I would be a little bit careful if I was you - what started off as a little perk could end up you paying it all back if HR get wind of the payment without justification.
As far as I am concerned this has been agreed by Royal Mail and the union.
Just a cautionary tale here mir, we had a shift that started at 0330, one bloke received the leadership allowance because there was six of us and no manager, the criteria being no manager on site and 5 or more staff to supervise - to cut a long story short the shift went down to 4 but the leadership allowance was paid becvause he had the keys to open up which he wasn't going to do without the additional pay - needless to say he was given it and it continued for a couple of years until the revisions last year. Not only did they stop the payment they wanted the previous two years money paid back.
Thank you very much. I will bear that in mind. :cool
human1
Posts: 223
Joined: 04 Aug 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by human1 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I know you're only asking a question Human...and after all that's what we're here for...but how much do you really think it's worth? I would have thought myself lucky being able to sit inside in the warm and dry instead of being outside on Delivery :hmmmm

Not having a dig mate, but lets get realistic about things, in this business nowadays Posties are being Bullied and Harassed on a daily basis and facing every more unrealistic workloads! The people that run our callers office seem to have a pretty easy ride. :cuppa
I think you are right :oops: and :Very Happy
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Well I worked in the Callers Office for a couple of years and it wasn't particularly hard BUT it had its problems sure enough and like any job in RM there was good days and bad days. Now that was a few years ago - I certainly wouldn't entertain working in there now. I used to pray for rain because it kept the punters away :wink:
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by TeeferTiger »

dvbuk55 wrote:Well I worked in the Callers Office for a couple of years and it wasn't particularly hard BUT it had its problems sure enough and like any job in RM there was good days and bad days. Now that was a few years ago - I certainly wouldn't entertain working in there now. I used to pray for rain because it kept the punters away :wink:
A few years back, when it used to be over staffed, the RLE was a cushy little number. Then when people started retiring and they didn't bother to replace them and just asked people to do some work for the money they were being paid for, it wasn't quite as cushy any more. It didn't really bother me because I was doing the same amount of work before the guy retired as I was after!
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
human1
Posts: 223
Joined: 04 Aug 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: Callers Office allowance?

Post by human1 »

Now.... nearly 300 items come back as "notic left" .... to log them on computer plus influx of customers coming in to collect their items and do not forget phone calls ......... no time for wee wee .. not even 5 minutes.