ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

lost parcel

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: lost parcel

Post by not me »

leave a P739
its not your problem how much hassle it is for them
follow the procedure
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: lost parcel

Post by RedBagMan »

taurus88 wrote:What about those customers who leave messages on their door saying 'leave parcels at x or y, or with x or y'.

They complicate the job. I feel a bit of an arse telling them I cannae do it.
If I go with it (rarely these days tho' due to "floating" and not knowing the lie of the land at times) - I take photos of message with my trusty crappofone ... reckon that sort of thing WOULD stand up in court !

... and as far as I'm concerned "Live Plants" are fair game to leave "somewhere" ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
robg
Posts: 81
Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 22:41
Gender: Male

Re: lost parcel

Post by robg »

RedBagMan wrote:
taurus88 wrote:What about those customers who leave messages on their door saying 'leave parcels at x or y, or with x or y'.

They complicate the job. I feel a bit of an arse telling them I cannae do it.
If I go with it (rarely these days tho' due to "floating" and not knowing the lie of the land at times) - I take photos of message with my trusty crappofone ... reckon that sort of thing WOULD stand up in court !

... and as far as I'm concerned "Live Plants" are fair game to leave "somewhere" ...
Some flowers have "postman leave me here" I think it was springfield or some Jersey outfit that has it on their packaging :Applause
Cheetah
Posts: 428
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 13:17
Gender: Male

Re: lost parcel

Post by Cheetah »

ragsie76 wrote:anyone now whats the policy on lost parcels there has been a parcel left in someones bin but they said they were on holiday and now the parcel has gone what will happen to the postie who done this. just wondered if he will be sacked.
Put it in the BIN :no no :no no ..... I put my dog S..t in my bin, if anyone put a parcel in my bin I would kick off. A bin is for rubish DO THE JOB PROPERLY and leave a P739, if you don't then accept the consequencies and don't bleat...........
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: lost parcel

Post by not me »

RedBagMan wrote:
taurus88 wrote:What about those customers who leave messages on their door saying 'leave parcels at x or y, or with x or y'.

They complicate the job. I feel a bit of an arse telling them I cannae do it.
If I go with it (rarely these days tho' due to "floating" and not knowing the lie of the land at times) - I take photos of message with my trusty crappofone ... reckon that sort of thing WOULD stand up in court !

... and as far as I'm concerned "Live Plants" are fair game to leave "somewhere" ...

court? if your employer has told you how to do the job
choosing to obey some random note isnt going to cut it
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: lost parcel

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

taurus88 wrote:What about those customers who leave messages on their door saying 'leave parcels at x or y, or with x or y'.

They complicate the job. I feel a bit of an arse telling them I cannae do it.
As always, cover your own back! No safe place or designated neighbour officially on record at the depot, 739 it. Same goes for hand written note on door saying "no junk mail"... No officail opt-out on the D2D control sheet, in that case they get their D2D...

Of course you could always ask these customers wanting informal arrangements to have a legally binding contract drawn up at the solicitors, stating that if you carry out an informal request which later leads to disciplinary action against you, they will cover your typical postie wages until such times as you find another job you want to take up.
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: lost parcel

Post by fng »

taurus88 wrote:What about those customers who leave messages on their door saying 'leave parcels at x or y, or with x or y'.

They complicate the job. I feel a bit of an arse telling them I cannae do it.
We had a couple of cases of late where this has happened, both suspended. I aggree that it feels really bad having to leave a card through the door when the customer has left a note........ but i just figure that i would feel a hell of a lot worse losing my job.

For my regular parcel delivery drops where the customers are always out, I was advised by the lino to drop the customers a line asking them to write in to him, giving permission to leave items at neighbours etc it worked a treat.

I really am for customer service (and for not carrying undelivered parcels around all day) but not at the expense of my job
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"