ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The 'Flexability' Trap

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: The 'Flexability' Trap

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:I work 5 hours a day and have always maintained that the meal relief is just twenty minutes up to 5 hours and you have to work over 5 hours for 30 minutes - if I'm wrong then I'm owed 6 years @ 10 minutes for every working day - that would be nice.
3 hours 31 to 4 hours 59......20 mins
5 hours to 7 hours..............30 mins
Well I am owed 40 days by my reckoning then, which would be 8 weeks and considering I only have 14 weeks to retirement that would mean i only have 6 weeks left to work :hmmmm

I had always assumed it was up to 5 hours but it would have been ambiguous to put 3 hours 31 to 5 hours .....20 mins, and then put 5 hours to 7 hours 30 minutes. I have seen the argument before BUT I still think it should be 20 minutes but I'll ask for the weeks back and see if they bite. :Very Happy
farmer69
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Nov 2010, 13:26
Gender: Male

Re: The 'Flexability' Trap

Post by farmer69 »

Give 'em hell, dv :nana I've always had 30 mins if attending for 5-7 hrs, and have worked in many different offices (as a leave reserve) and transfered 2 years ago to another region & same here, so they've been lifting your leg :shock:
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: The 'Flexability' Trap

Post by fishtank »

dvbuk55 wrote: I have seen the argument before BUT I still think it should be 20 minutes but I'll ask for the weeks back and see if they bite. :Very Happy
You're a stubborn old bugger dv...trust me it's 30 mins although knowing you lazy sods in the locker you would never be short of time for one or two of these.. :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
slave
Posts: 433
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 21:39
Location: North West

Re: The 'Flexability' Trap

Post by slave »

Flexibility; intersting theory, s**t in practice!

Work over, come in 30mins later tomorrow and still have the same amount of work to do! I tried it out again recently, farce, although if more did it then there would be no staff to prep walks/ips etc and we'd be out later that day too and be unable to complete and so it goes on... Hmm, perhaps we should play their game. :hmmmm

By the way, is the maximum flex allowed 30 minutes???? I've heard of 45mins being had..?
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: The 'Flexability' Trap

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote: I have seen the argument before BUT I still think it should be 20 minutes but I'll ask for the weeks back and see if they bite. :Very Happy
You're a stubborn old bugger dv...trust me it's 30 mins although knowing you lazy sods in the locker you would never be short of time for one or two of these.. :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle :chuckle
Guilty as charged your honour :Very Happy

The rep and I partnered for a couple of years in the locker until he moved on to pastures new and we always only took 20 minutes - well when we took any break at all.

I do the locker alone now and with the specials and tracked and the 90 PDAs to keep working and swapping out it is a bit of a task now. I take a break a couple of times a week to go and pick the wife up, takes 13 minutes round trip.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: The 'Flexability' Trap

Post by POSTMAN »

By the way, is the maximum flex allowed 30 minutes???? I've heard of 45mins being had..?
Max is 30mins as per the agreement,but i guess each to their own if they 'volunteer' extra.
RM can't 'force' you over 30mins if you don't want it.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
L8Hatter
Posts: 191
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 13:26
Gender: Male

Re: The 'Flexability' Trap

Post by L8Hatter »

pokos27 wrote:work you hours dont come in early, and never go back to the office early.
And other message to the same effect... :arrrghhh

Fair enough if you're a full-timer, but he's explained the situation very clearly. I'm on a 9-2 and if I stuck to that the driver(s) would have been up on attempted murder. We come in early to fit around the work patterns of our full-time colleagues (i.e they're nearly all gone by 9.15 and understandably, don't want to wait for drop bags).

To the OP, I'm the same as dvb and thought you got a 20 minutes break for five hours. 30 minutes is taking the piss a bit for five hours work. You're also on a bit of sticky wicket about it being at the end of your shift for various reasons. Is it really worth getting worked up about a few minutes either way when we're only doing a few hours?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: The 'Flexability' Trap

Post by POSTMAN »

I'm on a 9-2 and if I stuck to that the driver(s) would have been up on attempted murder. We come in early to fit around the work patterns of our full-time colleagues (i.e they're nearly all gone by 9.15 and understandably, don't want to wait for drop bags).
Behave ffs! Let the drivers wait,a few failures and the fick management there would soon sort it out.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.