ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Size of packets for the van ?
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2060
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
If it wont go through the letter box its a parcel 
-
arty_morty
- Posts: 282
- Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
I'm the same, although there is one dodgy chap in our office who will bundle three or four packets together, which may not necessarily be for the same address. He's known for it so seldom gets away with it! It's all about give and take anyway. i will take packets on the limit and in turn the people walking often take SDs etc in places that aren't easy to get to in the van.ebbzie wrote:After 10 years doing bike/walk duties i have moved over and became a driver, i take ANY packets that people ask me to because i understand they can cause problems if you have to 739 them
Shame all drivers didnt have the same attitude
Works well in general.
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
Some of them you can't though because they're complete bell ends (same as some posties)George door to dawes wrote:Its that kind of attitude that causes drivers to give you back packets. Make friends with the drivers they are probably the most useful people to you!homerj wrote:It may be me looking on the dark side but....
99 % of the drivers seem to have a chip on there shoulders & think they are some kind of God ?
Having said that though, 99% of the time you should be able to deal with drivers without having anything signed, at least that's what i've always done - apart from with one driver who refused to take anything that wasn't signed.
He ended up taking more than I would ever have thrown out for the drivers that were ok with me, as I got everything signed I possibly could.
-
stokes11eg
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3077
- Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
- Gender: Female
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
ebbzie wrote:After 10 years doing bike/walk duties i have moved over and became a driver, i take ANY packets that people ask me to because i understand they can cause problems if you have to 739 them
Shame all drivers didnt have the same attitude
When I did occassional driving duties, I took out loads--this always took me to time or over, ----
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
Double post
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72773
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
Band it together I'll get the driver to take it .OnAFlyer wrote:Double post
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Indy
- Posts: 977
- Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
Lets be fair here just like there are drivers that take the piss so do some walkers.... I can think of 2 in my office. If everyone had a bit more empathy and consideration then things would be a lot better all round. I have an excellent driver and rest day cover others in my office don't.ebbzie wrote:After 10 years doing bike/walk duties i have moved over and became a driver, i take ANY packets that people ask me to because i understand they can cause problems if you have to 739 them
Shame all drivers didnt have the same attitude
-
scum_opg
- Posts: 86
- Joined: 28 May 2010, 20:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
there are a lot of decent drivers... but all it takes is for (pre revision) one driver to be a tw*t for it to cause problems and disharmony
there was a driver in one of the offices i worked in.. that was nothing short of an absolute w*nker... i used to regularly end up with as many as 6 thick DVD size packets (that if you pushed them through invidually, would maybe fit) for the same door... that was on top of all the other packets for the rest of that section of the walk. so i used to try and bundle them together with a couple of bands and put them on his frame (it was what i had been taught to do by 3 different folk)
sometimes you would get lucky... but that was a rare occasion
the rest of the time the ignorant tw*t would bing them right back round, snap the bands off dump them on my frame and walk off...
it lead to a number of conversations with the DOM... some times she would agree that as they were all for one door, then the driver should take them... other times she would back down and agree with the driver...
now i wouldnt ask the driver to take a packet that was undersize.. or to take a bundle of items for the same door if i could fit them in my pouch... same as most posties
yet another thing that there doesnt seem to be a set agreement in place to deal with
there was a driver in one of the offices i worked in.. that was nothing short of an absolute w*nker... i used to regularly end up with as many as 6 thick DVD size packets (that if you pushed them through invidually, would maybe fit) for the same door... that was on top of all the other packets for the rest of that section of the walk. so i used to try and bundle them together with a couple of bands and put them on his frame (it was what i had been taught to do by 3 different folk)
sometimes you would get lucky... but that was a rare occasion
the rest of the time the ignorant tw*t would bing them right back round, snap the bands off dump them on my frame and walk off...
it lead to a number of conversations with the DOM... some times she would agree that as they were all for one door, then the driver should take them... other times she would back down and agree with the driver...
now i wouldnt ask the driver to take a packet that was undersize.. or to take a bundle of items for the same door if i could fit them in my pouch... same as most posties
yet another thing that there doesnt seem to be a set agreement in place to deal with
-
spoodoo
- Posts: 829
- Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
some drivers dump the pkt in question in youre box on the street without telling you , get to the box,,,oh thanks !! not,,
-
olilew
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
contact lenses go through most letter boxes mate!
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
That happened to me. Just left it. No idea why there was a packet for a house on my first street in the box for my last bag. Nothing to do with me so I left it.spoodoo wrote:some drivers dump the pkt in question in youre box on the street without telling you , get to the box,,,oh thanks !! not,,
-
grip lomax
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 05 Dec 2008, 16:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
hi
im a driver and will use common sense and take most pacels !! as i have limetless time and know you posties nedd to get finished as fast as possible!!!
im a driver and will use common sense and take most pacels !! as i have limetless time and know you posties nedd to get finished as fast as possible!!!
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Size of packets for the van ?
I've done driving, and I never had a problem with *ANY* packet. It wasn't my concern who put the packets in the York, or how big they were. I've taken small ones that fitted through a letterbox.
At the end of my shift, I've just said something like, well, that's me finished - I've just left 3 or 4 in the York that I didn't have time for.
Of course, I made sure I took the largest ones, so it looks like I've done more.
hmmm... maybe thats why I don't do packets any more..
At the end of my shift, I've just said something like, well, that's me finished - I've just left 3 or 4 in the York that I didn't have time for.
Of course, I made sure I took the largest ones, so it looks like I've done more.
hmmm... maybe thats why I don't do packets any more..