I'm on a 3 month 30 hour contract, just been extended for the first time, but lots of talk around the office with a resign coming up soon so not too sure where I'll stand after that.
Like robtor I do collections some evenings too, if you fancy extra money get involved, also quite often you can work your day off as well. Plenty of opportunity, make the most of being back in work again, keep your nose clean and work hard :)
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
start royal mail on tuesday
-
danieljp
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 14:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: South
-
CharlesSpooner
- Posts: 383
- Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
- Gender: Male
Re: start royal mail on tuesday
Collections on overtime and you're getting 5 shouts a week? There's an office somewhere that's gonna get hammered in a revision! Also a bit strange that there's no senior bods there a bit p*ssed off at someone who's been there less than a year getting all that. Fair play to you but it really does strike me as a "random bizzaro world".Robtor wrote:Agree with Danieljp, and here, no everyone's contract's are extended. Months ago when worried about my contract ending and talking to some lady in her 60s who's been with RM for maybe 30 years, she said she had never seen a contract not extended. Ofcourse area's vary.
I joined in Nov on 25hrs for 3months.
Then in Feb it got extended to another 3months.
May it got bumped upto permanent.
July got asked to go full time.
Ofcourse during the 6months+ of 25hrs there was more than enough opportunity to do more hours.
Also do piss easy collections every night which consist of driving around the countryside for a couple of hours, but getting paid for 3 and am thus doing approx 55hour weeks. I love my job and the office is very friendly, I do feel when reading these forums that my office is some random bizarro world, in a parallel dimension to the rest.
Most new starters experience at RM consists of being part-time and getting pushed around different walks every bloody day. And then moaned at because they're not managing to do in 5.5 hours what the full-timers, who are on regular duties are given 8 hours to do!
-
Robtor
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 11 Nov 2010, 11:25
- Gender: Male
Re: start royal mail on tuesday
Yeah pretty lucky circumstances.CharlesSpooner wrote:Collections on overtime and you're getting 5 shouts a week? There's an office somewhere that's gonna get hammered in a revision! Also a bit strange that there's no senior bods there a bit p*ssed off at someone who's been there less than a year getting all that. Fair play to you but it really does strike me as a "random bizzaro world".
The regular collections, (not every week, but been on every day for about 4weeks straight now) are generally due to other people being unreliable, be it sick *cough middle of summer* or whatever.
The full time thing; don't mistake full time for having my own walk. A lot of people got their hours bumped up due to the revision, including myself, but where I go day by day still varies.
-
wiganpostie
- Posts: 670
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
Re: start royal mail on tuesday
I'm guessing you're still living with your mum and dad or living in a cardboard box if you've got substantial savings from this job. I'm also guessing I'd enjoy this job a whole lot more if my wages didn't have to cover the menial things in life like a mortgage, household bills, etc. The only thing this job offers above and beyond a life on the dole is pride - but not a whole lot.taurus88 wrote: I've got money to fall back on now, and dreams to act upon when the time is right.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: start royal mail on tuesday
To be honest I don’t think the job offers much pride anymore. I tend to keep quite about being a Postie unless cornered as it normally brings on a barrage of complaints such as “my postie is really thick” and “had about 10 million miss deliveries in just one day, every day” kind of thing.wiganpostie wrote:The only thing this job offers above and beyond a life on the dole is pride - but not a whole lot.
However compared to the dole I think the job will give you a true sense of self worth which you cannot really put a price on.
At the end of the day it’s a job which is tons better than no job at all.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: start royal mail on tuesday
I've got my own flat. It's not great but it's okay.wiganpostie wrote:I'm guessing you're still living with your mum and dad or living in a cardboard box if you've got substantial savings from this job.taurus88 wrote: I've got money to fall back on now, and dreams to act upon when the time is right.