And there was me thinking we got paid by the hour, not by the number of letters or drop we have.
I can see I'm going to have to speak to my DOM about this, I should be getting loads more pay with my 610 drops !!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point???
-
Lateagainpostie
- Posts: 393
- Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 18:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
If you love Man Utd, you'll love my forum Talkingreds
-
crezz
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 25 Apr 2011, 16:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
did i read that your 20 years in? but your 25 years of age?
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
It's not really a question of what you or I are getting paid per hour, it's about the people working for the same company, with the same contracts, who are being paid more per hour - in effect - because they are sat at home for the last hour (two hours in my office) of their shift whilst you or I or somebody else might still be out on delivery. I personally can accept being out until my paid hours are up, but what I cannot accept is the inequality of the guy sitting two yards away from me in a morning being paid the same amount for half the hours worked. Obviously, there's nothing I can do about it. But that doesn't make it right and it doesn't make it something that we should automatically accept just because it doesn't affect us.Lateagainpostie wrote:And there was me thinking we got paid by the hour, not by the number of letters or drop we have.
I can see I'm going to have to speak to my DOM about this, I should be getting loads more pay with my 610 drops !!
It's grossly unfair, and it's unfair not because we're having to do more - we are having to do the right amount. It's unfair that certain individuals aren't doing the right amount of work, and that those who are, and who sometimes struggle to fit the work into the time, are being measured against these individuals. Nary a day passes when a manager doesn't pull out the 'well, so and so doesn't have any problems.' I would love to point out that so-and-so finishes at 11.30am every day, but what's the point? I'm not going to make more enemies for myself. But it's a crying shame and an injustice that certain people within Royal Mail are having to do twice the work for the same money as those doing half.
By now, everybody should be working for the same amount of time. Seniority is rubbish because it promotes the idea of some people doing less for more. Work should by now be allocated on a suitability basis as in every other walk of life. I'm sure old men everywhere are scoffing at the idea of seniority going, but it's a fact. Seniority is something that belongs to yesterday's world where you could knock off at 11am and nobody cared. Nowadays it shouldn't matter what walk you're given - you're at work for x hours, work them and frak off home. Who cares whether it's the arse-end of sh*t hole or the boobies of beautiful body land?
Last edited by taurus88 on 09 May 2011, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
-
Exrep
- Posts: 1005
- Joined: 02 Oct 2009, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
Why in your office dont you rotate each day so your doing a different part of the lapsed duty daily.
How many drop points are on the walk
How many posties cover that walk
The way we do it in our office is we have 16 posties covering a duty with 584 drops now if my math is rite each posty takes 36 drops .
Lapsing should never of been agreed its slave labour simple as and since lapsing was brought in can anyone remember the last time you had summer staffing in your office.
I take it you have raised this with your rep as fairness does have to come into the picture at some point, and if what your saying is happening here it doesnt sound very fair whether you have time in your duty or not,and that phrase is said all the time when you raise an issue surrounding lapsing its so boring and grim its unbelievable.
How many drop points are on the walk
How many posties cover that walk
The way we do it in our office is we have 16 posties covering a duty with 584 drops now if my math is rite each posty takes 36 drops .
Lapsing should never of been agreed its slave labour simple as and since lapsing was brought in can anyone remember the last time you had summer staffing in your office.
I take it you have raised this with your rep as fairness does have to come into the picture at some point, and if what your saying is happening here it doesnt sound very fair whether you have time in your duty or not,and that phrase is said all the time when you raise an issue surrounding lapsing its so boring and grim its unbelievable.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
Jimmy - park and loop is a great equaliser - we are all in equally deep s**t lolJimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:In the grand scheme of things its not a big deal - as I said its all gona change in september anyways - and I NEVER said I had an easier round , the manager said I had an easier round. My argument was that I had the apparent easier round coz ive worked here 14 years longer than these guys and from what I thought, seniority meant you got the 1st choice of the rounds, hence the better area/maybe easier round to suit you. The reality is that I got the bad deal when I was on FF as I never got out earlier than my official time, when all the office were out maybe 30mins before their leave time. So I was losing maybe 3hrs a week on these guys, so I was working 3hrs more than anyone else. And they accused me of slacking off coz I was going home before them - even though I started work an hour whilst they were still in bed![]()
With how it is now, im being punished coz they think my rounds easy when it isnt. Im still working longer than anyone else for the same pay. All I want is a level playing field and it clearly isnt. People have done their 1st bag and im still fooking lapsing
Most guys at my place only work 6hrs a day and im doing 7:30 with no breaks. I cant wait for PnL so I can get rid of this crappy broken bike, cruise around in a van with no weight on my back, and finish at the same time as everyone else
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
chunk
- Posts: 957
- Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
Jim you have got to abandon a couple of notions :
seniority for one ! rm no longer recognize it the way they did.
hard i know but in most other companies...
eg sainburys . does a girl whos spent 10 years on checkouts outrank one
whos done 6?
no ! if a chance of promotion comes along experience will count but otherwise they will
get paid the same for doing the same job. they will have holidays allocated first come first served etc.
equal amounts of absorption?
if everybody has a different sized walk and all finish at different times,
how can you argue that all should do the same amount of absorption?
one thing!
park and loop/ van sharing has not been been rolled out everywhere yet your dom has lied.
seniority for one ! rm no longer recognize it the way they did.
hard i know but in most other companies...
eg sainburys . does a girl whos spent 10 years on checkouts outrank one
whos done 6?
no ! if a chance of promotion comes along experience will count but otherwise they will
get paid the same for doing the same job. they will have holidays allocated first come first served etc.
equal amounts of absorption?
if everybody has a different sized walk and all finish at different times,
how can you argue that all should do the same amount of absorption?
one thing!
park and loop/ van sharing has not been been rolled out everywhere yet your dom has lied.
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
-
Lateagainpostie
- Posts: 393
- Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 18:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
I totally agree with you and I think you misread the irony in my post, today has been a classic example for me, 12 noon I'm off in my van to do the other part of my split duty, and the bloke I took 90 odd drops off is heading back, I get given more because I have a van, what they don't take into account is that the packet men chuck everything at me know, so that in turn means less for them and more for me, and our revision under the 2010 agreement was supposed to even walks out.taurus88 wrote:It's not really a question of what you or I are getting paid per hour, it's about the people working for the same company, with the same contracts, who are being paid more per hour - in effect - because they are sat at home for the last hour (two hours in my office) of their shift whilst you or I or somebody else might still be out on delivery. I personally can accept being out until my paid hours are up, but what I cannot accept is the inequality of the guy sitting two yards away from me in a morning being paid the same amount for half the hours worked. Obviously, there's nothing I can do about it. But that doesn't make it right and it doesn't make it something that we should automatically accept just because it doesn't affect us.Lateagainpostie wrote:And there was me thinking we got paid by the hour, not by the number of letters or drop we have.
I can see I'm going to have to speak to my DOM about this, I should be getting loads more pay with my 610 drops !!
It's grossly unfair, and it's unfair not because we're having to do more - we are having to do the right amount. It's unfair that certain individuals aren't doing the right amount of work, and that those who are, and who sometimes struggle to fit the work into the time, are being measured against these individuals. Nary a day passes when a manager doesn't pull out the 'well, so and so doesn't have any problems.' I would love to point out that so-and-so finishes at 11.30am every day, but what's the point? I'm not going to make more enemies for myself. But it's a crying shame and an injustice that certain people within Royal Mail are having to do twice the work for the same money as those doing half.
By now, everybody should be working for the same amount of time. Seniority is rubbish because it promotes the idea of some people doing less for more. Work should by now be allocated on a suitability basis as in every other walk of life. I'm sure old men everywhere are scoffing at the idea of seniority going, but it's a fact. Seniority is something that belongs to yesterday's world where you could knock off at 11am and nobody cared. Nowadays it shouldn't matter what walk you're given - you're at work for x hours, work them and frak off home. Who cares whether it's the arse-end of sh*t hole or the boobies of beautiful body land?
If you love Man Utd, you'll love my forum Talkingreds
-
Royal_Fail
- Posts: 398
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 19:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
Seniority helps you get a nice walk when resign comes thats pretty much it,
If lapsing is making you go over then cut off.
If lapsing is making you go over then cut off.
-
bedfordrl
- Posts: 386
- Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 22:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: North East Hampshire
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
It's nice to find that after nine years of being a reserve and waiting for a descent round to turn up that some think that counts for nothing and that everyone should be in on the chance of a good round, sorry but some things have to be earned.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72773
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
Ooooo cant wait for you to find the seniority is discrimination threadbedfordrl wrote:It's nice to find that after nine years of being a reserve and waiting for a descent round to turn up that some think that counts for nothing and that everyone should be in on the chance of a good round, sorry but some things have to be earned.
(I support seniority BTW)
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
chunk
- Posts: 957
- Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing makes seniority null and void so whats the point
bedfordrl wrote:It's nice to find that after nine years of being a reserve and waiting for a descent round to turn up that some think that counts for nothing and that everyone should be in on the chance of a good round, sorry but some things have to be earned.
First off being a reserve is crap and nobody should be one for a decade.
The reason reserves are not getting duties is because of the number of postman and hours that rm are cutting.
For generations people retiring etc produced the vacancies at the top,
these rippled down, everybody moved a place reserves got duties
new reserves were taken on.
As it is now retirees duties are being collapsed ,
this results in the duty structure of the office being as stagnant as rainwater in a tree stump.
Im not against seniority i just see that rm have made it irrelevant by by collapsing all the vacant duties and thus avoiding sign ups.
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....