ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Work to rule plea

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
gb93
Posts: 1462
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Work to rule plea

Post by gb93 »

fishtank wrote:I agree with dingo. :nervous
Work to rule on paper is fine,in practice it's divisive,dangerous,unpredictable,impossible to police and ultimately not effective enough to cause the kind of backlog you need to put pressure on the employer.
It's a soft option that is doomed to failure.
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: Work to rule plea

Post by pinstripe »

gb93 wrote:
fishtank wrote:I agree with dingo. :nervous
Work to rule on paper is fine,in practice it's divisive,dangerous,unpredictable,impossible to police and ultimately not effective enough to cause the kind of backlog you need to put pressure on the employer.
It's a soft option that is doomed to failure.
Unlike striking, which is the hard option, but also doomed to failure due to the CWU and the membership not having the guts to make it work.
Bikedo
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Jun 2007, 15:02

Re: Work to rule plea

Post by Bikedo »

As I've justed posted on the georoute forum, I'm on suspention for 'Failing to safe guard the mail' because I left my van unlocked, I've been interviewed twice for returning mail due to working to time. I've had the walk planner out withme then the next day the acting manager came out and found my van unlocked due to me rushing. Very few in our office is doing this, they are booking the overtime, so a work to rule would be very difficult to police, no matter how many time I tell people not to give time for free, they still come in early and throw in door to doors. I await my interview and what happens when the rest of the office moves to the new working.
gb93
Posts: 1462
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Work to rule plea

Post by gb93 »

pinstripe wrote:
gb93 wrote:
fishtank wrote:I agree with dingo. :nervous
Work to rule on paper is fine,in practice it's divisive,dangerous,unpredictable,impossible to police and ultimately not effective enough to cause the kind of backlog you need to put pressure on the employer.
It's a soft option that is doomed to failure.
Unlike striking, which is the hard option, but also doomed to failure due to the CWU and the membership not having the guts to make it work.
Suppose it's a matter of conjecture if 2007 & 2009 are deemed failures.
Whether we were taken for fools by the union or RM or not, the fact is it did not take too many days of national action for improved terms to be offered to members and voted on.
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Work to rule plea

Post by fishtank »

Exactly gb...you could argue that the subsequent negotiations were a failure but what got them to that table in the first place....that worked as it always has at national level.
Strikes only fail when they are isolated,when members refuse to back there colleagues or when the leadership lacks courage.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share