ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
The Storey teller
Posts: 8
Joined: 03 Apr 2011, 10:10
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by The Storey teller »

If you walk in and your mail hasn't been chucked in by either a lazy full timer or incompetent manager (usually both) then you should just chuck it off and then ask your manager what he wants to do as you only want to work until your finish time, if you get any hassel just speak to your rep (although my rep isn't very good he tends to be a bit afraid of the managers who just bully everyone)
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by George door to dawes »

The Storey teller wrote:If you walk in and your mail hasn't been chucked in by either a lazy full timer or incompetent manager (usually both) then you should just chuck it off and then ask your manager what he wants to do as you only want to work until your finish time, if you get any hassel just speak to your rep (although my rep isn't very good he tends to be a bit afraid of the managers who just bully everyone)
See that would be the ideal way to do it but always ends up more hassle then its worth! If you start volunteering to prep and take out d2d when they are not ready then you have to start begging for OT or face a confrontation about why you are cutting off. I would normally just ignore the d2d if they are not prepped as its not my problem. Its my job purely to post d2d not to prep them or manage RMs work force or their work load! My lino recently disagreed with this view and took me to one of our senior managers for a bollocking. She politely informed him he was talking out of his as*! :chuckle
mailmonkey
Posts: 431
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 22:12
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by mailmonkey »

Our new part timers and bag carriers on temporary renewable contracts have it even worse than us permanent ful timers

Bag carriers coming in and finding walks not thrown in, having to do it themselves, then basically forced into doing overtime to complete witht the threat of not having their shitty contracts renewed
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by centenaryman »

If you walk in and your mail hasn't been chucked in by either a lazy full timer or incompetent manager

i`m a full timer...call me lazy? we have approx 35% part time in our do.....full time start primary sorting and pt throw ins at 610,,,,,,pt start at staggered starts between 730 till 9 most are paid 5 hours most know the walks they will be delivering,,,,on the primary sort now we are down to the bare bones,,,5 or 6 men at the most whilst others throw the pt walks in.

on a normal day say weds...thurs...fri we dont complete the primary till 840ish give or take.
the p/timer comes in an will moan if his duty aint in,,,,but with only a handful of mail to throw in there out the door just after 9,,,,still with over 4 1/2 hours of there duty to go,,,,most duties in our office are still on the old 3 1/2 hour delivery span,,,so to me there gaining money and aint working there hours LOL.

us on full time are getting out nearer 10 with a similar 4 hours to deliver.

each week we seem to have more full time of sick or hols soooo less men to primary sort.....things are all rosy for full timers....we havnt had any p/timers moved up to full time in 3-4 years,,,,none of em moan cos they know there employed part time hours? they knew what they were getting when they applied.

nobody in ours preps d2d for p/timers there isnt the time nobody in ors gets d2d money,,,that stopped ages ago,,,,d2d are part of the days work...but we dont get the time to do it....we argued there was to many p/timers for us to cope but that falls on deaf ears so we do what we can.

weve just been told come our revision they want 25% part time duties....so lets say there are 40 duties 10 will be part time.
so on that figure we have about 32 full time staff,,,,we asked what will happen after a re-sign,,,,,told that any full time left over will go spare.


I aint having ago at part time staff,,,,,but the royal mail has stripped us bare with a weak union offering they have a field day,,,,we openly accepted part time but theyve hammered us,,,to the point we cant cope.
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by George door to dawes »

i`m a full timer...call me lazy?
Yep lazy full timer! :Very Happy Sure no one is having ago at you personally every DO is different and no doubt we are all under pressure.

In my experience from my DO full timers constantly moan about prep and ips which is understandable as they are being given more work and less staff to do it. You cant argue with that complaint at all its understandable they are stressed about this. But when its time to tie up and go they are almost always ready to go. when they then take their mail out its onto the walk they may have been doing for years. They also have often picked their own walk which means they are not left with the office shockers! In my DO full timers not only get the best walks but obviously there is always a couple of walks not covered due to sickness and holidays. Full timers also get to choose which walks they do their overtime on as well so the part timers get walks that no one wants to do even on overtime rates!

I can only speak from my personal experience but 90% of our DOs full timers finish early. Almost all of our part timers will finish late and struggle to get paid OT. :sad:
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Well said George :Applause And as he says it's not personal Centenaryman. :Very Happy Just because you do your job there's still a lot of idle buggers in RM. Lets try not to beat each other up, that's RMs job!

Regardless of what time PTers leave, and how long they deliver, they still don't have the FT terms & Conditions that can guarantee them a Full Weeks wages when they're sick or on holiday. I know they don't have the contract but most work a Full Time week when they can.

Admittedly people sign up for the PT job and know the hours but there's people on this site that have been KEPT on PT hours for years. :arrrghhh Most companies would have made them up after a trial period, especially when we know the job's there because they're doing 40 hour plus!

The FTers in my DO are also stretched in the mornings on IPS and Prep, but one good thing about this is a lot of them have abandoned the, "I'm alright Jack f**k You" attitude. They now realise RM is not just going to s**t on the PTers and they are going to get dumped on as well. :sad: It's shaken a few out of their complacency and their starting to act a bit more like a united office when it comes to standing up to RM. :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
The Storey teller
Posts: 8
Joined: 03 Apr 2011, 10:10
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by The Storey teller »

If you just left your door to doors then the managers would try and discipline you for wilful delay, remember it's all workload now so make sure you prep your d2d if a lazy full timer hasn't done it, keep yourself right. Just point it out to your manager when you arrive and then prep the rest of your frame and put the ball in the managers court. It's not your fault that the useless incompetence of your full time colleague has placed you in an awkward spot.
My manager tried this with me one time and I just pointed to the facts and she had to back down
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32809
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by POSTMAN »

Sticky point being missed here!
How can one lot leave before another lot if you all have to go on the vans.

Actually don't bother answering. :cuppa
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by taurus88 »

POSTMAN wrote:Sticky point being missed here!
How can one lot leave before another lot if you all have to go on the vans.

Actually don't bother answering. :cuppa
Ha ha. Our rural conveyance vans leave before any part-timer's start time. Work that one out. Doesn't stop them chucking us on the rurals!
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by George door to dawes »

If you just left your door to doors then the managers would try and discipline you for wilful delay, remember it's all workload now so make sure you prep your d2d if a lazy full timer hasn't done it, keep yourself right. Just point it out to your manager when you arrive and then prep the rest of your frame and put the ball in the managers court. It's not your fault that the useless incompetence of your full time colleague has placed you in an awkward spot.
My manager tried this with me one time and I just pointed to the facts and she had to back down
As i said its not upto your to manage staff and workloads! Theres no chance a discipline would stick if its not prepped. But saying that iam in the enviable position of having a senior manger tell me in front of my lino that i do not have to prep d2d and that i also only have to my 1/6 and not any that have been not been done on other days! :Very Happy But as you said your manager also tried this one and backed down. It doesnt seem right i know but you have to fight these managers at every opportunity or they will grind you down. Iam definitely not going with the phrase 'grow some balls' as you often hear on this forum as i know its never that easy especially for the quiet nice people like myself! But push back when you can.
Sticky point being missed here!
How can one lot leave before another lot if you all have to go on the vans.

Actually don't bother answering. :cuppa
A very good point! My DO hasnt had our revision so just the old skool min bus type vans for us. Iam often alone with the driver so i wonder how many jobs we have lost because of full timers using cars? I honestly think we would need an extra 4 vans / drivers for my division if everyone did the job properly and left their cars at home. Big DO with a few smaller division and a few larger so thats probably about 24 drivers total. Thats a conservative estimate as well.
Hitchens is God!
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 22:27
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by Hitchens is God! »

Im 32.5 hours and im happy with that, I NEVER do overtime. Wage is fine.
CBR.DAN.F4I
Posts: 6
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 20:20
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by CBR.DAN.F4I »

after 2.5 years I wrote this complaint to cwu and royal mail on the 15/02/2011

This is a letter of complaint. Commencing Employment on a 20 hour contract I asked how I could gain more hours and was told that Royal Mail Policy was to offer any available contracted hours are offered to longer serving employees. after 6 months a new employee was employed on a 25 hour contract, I complain to my manager and CWU representative whom explained that this was a mistake and would not happen again. I then applied for a transfer to a mail centre for a driving job with more hours, I did the driving change over, but due to a member of staff leaving this has not happened with no explanation.
Finally in January 2011 three more people were employed on 25 hour contracts again I complained to my manager and CWU representative whom said there was nothing they could do, which has prompted this complaint as I'm not happy with the way I have been treated by this company and a union I pay for and do nothing when the information I have been given is contradictory

with no reply as of yet
I'm thinking of chaining myself to the gates of a mail centre they might listen then lol f!£$ing w%&*ers
OOOHHH NNOO somebody flushed RoyalMail down the drain
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by George door to dawes »

CBR.DAN.F4I wrote:after 2.5 years I wrote this complaint to cwu and royal mail on the 15/02/2011

This is a letter of complaint. Commencing Employment on a 20 hour contract I asked how I could gain more hours and was told that Royal Mail Policy was to offer any available contracted hours are offered to longer serving employees. after 6 months a new employee was employed on a 25 hour contract, I complain to my manager and CWU representative whom explained that this was a mistake and would not happen again. I then applied for a transfer to a mail centre for a driving job with more hours, I did the driving change over, but due to a member of staff leaving this has not happened with no explanation.
Finally in January 2011 three more people were employed on 25 hour contracts again I complained to my manager and CWU representative whom said there was nothing they could do, which has prompted this complaint as I'm not happy with the way I have been treated by this company and a union I pay for and do nothing when the information I have been given is contradictory

with no reply as of yet
I'm thinking of chaining myself to the gates of a mail centre they might listen then lol f!£$ing w%&*ers
That actually happened to me recently 6 p/t staff were given 25 hour contracts when ive been there longer. I did speak to my union rep who asked my lino about it when sorting out another issue and i just got the same response as you. I started to fight back over OT and what work iam supposed to be doing recently so maybe thats why i left out. To be honest though iam not too fussed as i hate the place! The less time i spend there the better....
internetguy
Posts: 183
Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by internetguy »

George door to dawes wrote:
CBR.DAN.F4I wrote:after 2.5 years I wrote this complaint to cwu and royal mail on the 15/02/2011

This is a letter of complaint. Commencing Employment on a 20 hour contract I asked how I could gain more hours and was told that Royal Mail Policy was to offer any available contracted hours are offered to longer serving employees. after 6 months a new employee was employed on a 25 hour contract, I complain to my manager and CWU representative whom explained that this was a mistake and would not happen again. I then applied for a transfer to a mail centre for a driving job with more hours, I did the driving change over, but due to a member of staff leaving this has not happened with no explanation.
Finally in January 2011 three more people were employed on 25 hour contracts again I complained to my manager and CWU representative whom said there was nothing they could do, which has prompted this complaint as I'm not happy with the way I have been treated by this company and a union I pay for and do nothing when the information I have been given is contradictory

with no reply as of yet
I'm thinking of chaining myself to the gates of a mail centre they might listen then lol f!£$ing w%&*ers
That actually happened to me recently 6 p/t staff were given 25 hour contracts when ive been there longer. I did speak to my union rep who asked my lino about it when sorting out another issue and i just got the same response as you. I started to fight back over OT and what work iam supposed to be doing recently so maybe thats why i left out. To be honest though iam not too fussed as i hate the place! The less time i spend there the better....
are you sure your not me...? . the exact same happened to me just 4 weeks ago. im on a 20 and 2 new starters started on 25. but like you, i totally hate the place and am just waiting for the next job so i really couldnt give a s**t. i've also just had a really bad spell with the manager....hmmm, i wonder...?. i'm just waiting for the letter to pop through the door letting me know i have a new job, 3 weeks on the sick with a bad back before i leave. i'll get my money back what im owed from the robbing bast's one way or another. suck on that RM f***s !!!
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: More rights for part time staff (Roal mail PT ONLY)

Post by spen »

same here im on 20 hours n now 4 new starters on 25 hours,, but to be fair to the dom he now gives me 1 hour aday prep/overtime to make mine up, it all helps