Err sorry did I forget to say I was dealing with the Plod!pyphon wrote:but the ID has a number to check!
I offered the "If you don't believe me ring the office!"
Err sorry did I forget to say I was dealing with the Plod!pyphon wrote:but the ID has a number to check!
chrisj wrote:Its all well and good for some established members of staff to criticise those that use cars to deliver. As a relatively new postie, it was clear from day 1 that my bosses will rather have me use my car - I was trained using a private and there were no bikes around.
On the days when I have had to use a bike because of car problems... I had to scrounge round for a bike because most of them are with full time/established staff either at the homes, locked/chained up or they are using them.
Its not that easy and straightforward when you work for an establishment that allows seniority to be used an advantage regardless of merit or how good the seniors staff are.
I used my car because I dont like cycling in traffic to start with and as a new staff my rounds (am a floater) are miles away from the depot (some are up the hill and all that) and the drivers are arsy about bad drops and there is so much pressure to get the bags ready because the drivers often depart before the postmen.
Some established staff also use the cars and they have set the precedence and its hard to go against the grain.
However, I recent using my car because of petrol cost and wear and tear but I'll rather than putting up with arsy drivers and sweating even before I start my round.
Bikes were good in the days when DO were closer and there were lighter loads but with packets and possible disciplinary re: door stepping, if you do the job properly, you will end up with loads of bags (I use 8/9 bags) on your bike on the way back and loads of packets as well.
Have you filled in all the paperwork, and followed procedure, to be covered by the RM Bond (3rd Party cover only). Or are you paying for your own Business Insurance?chrisj wrote:Its all well and good for some established members of staff to criticise those that use cars to deliver. As a relatively new postie, it was clear from day 1 that my bosses will rather have me use my car - I was trained using a private and there were no bikes around.
On the days when I have had to use a bike because of car problems... I had to scrounge round for a bike because most of them are with full time/established staff either at the homes, locked/chained up or they are using them.
Its not that easy and straightforward when you work for an establishment that allows seniority to be used an advantage regardless of merit or how good the seniors staff are.
I used my car because I dont like cycling in traffic to start with and as a new staff my rounds (am a floater) are miles away from the depot (some are up the hill and all that) and the drivers are arsy about bad drops and there is so much pressure to get the bags ready because the drivers often depart before the postmen.
Some established staff also use the cars and they have set the precedence and its hard to go against the grain.
However, I recent using my car because of petrol cost and wear and tear but I'll rather than putting up with arsy drivers and sweating even before I start my round.
Bikes were good in the days when DO were closer and there were lighter loads but with packets and possible disciplinary re: door stepping, if you do the job properly, you will end up with loads of bags (I use 8/9 bags) on your bike on the way back and loads of packets as well.
If someone suspects the authenticity of your ID they are hardly going to try and verify it by calling a number printed on it are they!pyphon wrote:but the ID has a number to check!
what were you doing "IN" a post box. Anybody can post mail legally thats what they are forIndy wrote:A bloke in our office was followed by the police after he was seen with packets etc in his car... from memory he got arrested on suspicion of what ever... taken back to the DO where his story could be checked. I think the bloke was quite new so didn't have an RM uniform.sodiium wrote:if the cops catch him/her..its going to be a fine as he wont be insured for it.
why do posties use thier cars?
I have used my car only a handful of occasions where i wanted to finish early (& could do so if the mail was light).
I was putting some "No Access" mail in a post box down a side road when I heard a car screech next to me and doors being flung open. Just as I was turning around to see what was going on I was grabbed by the shoulder. It was the Police wondering what I was doing in a mail box. I had put a jumper over my uniform and was wearing trainers. I obviously said I was a postman but they wouldn't believe me even after showing them my uniform under my jumper. They EVEN spied my official RM ID card with suspicion. They got on the radio and asked for the number of my DO and called the DOM took about 5 minutes to clear it all up. They said they were suspicious coz I had a jumper (non RM) on... I said it was because it was cold, copper said "its 20 degrees MATE!" I said "not at 4am it wasn't!"
They then buggered off without saying anything! The Bast'rds go and catch some real criminals!
Thats sounds pretty much true, p/timers in our office who don't want to work over don't, they too become targets from management for not wanting to do overtime.mma83 wrote:Also, I've stood my ground against management etc and look where it has got me, the other new starters have had their own walk now for the last 3 weeks, i'm still floating picking up the cr*p leftover from the previous day, getting moaned at by the regular the following day for doing my hours and not doing o/t to finish the walk, therefore leaving extra work for them(Yes, agreed not nice, but it is up to management to make it possible 4 me to finish within MY hours)
Being sat down by the LM to 'discuss' why I didn't complete the previous day....hmmm, let me think........8 bags, 2.5 hours to complete without my 20min break(which I always add on as o/t at the end of the week) 30-40 min/bag....u work the maths
Ok, I feel a lot better now for that!!
Keep your chin up. You are doin nothing wrong. If you are not kept on ask for reasons why, in writing.mma83 wrote:Tbh, I have probably kicked up enough fuss, so unless they are desperate, I prob will not get my contract extended...