ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
seanocelt
Posts: 68
Joined: 23 Dec 2009, 10:05
Gender: Male

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by seanocelt »

DGP1 wrote:
dados wrote:
portadown wrote:deliveries suspend portadown office but u must stay in the office until your shift is over :evil/mad
same in Lisburn,or take it out,or attempt to take it out & return to finish your time,or go home & get hours clawed back.
It must've been a Northern Ireland thing because we are in the same boat :roll: .

i printed off the posts about "hours clawback" being illegal and not agreed, from this forum, showed guys at an N.I. offfice, take no crap, its not on, you get paid if deliveries suspended and you owe zero.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by dvbuk55 »

Aprilaydee wrote:I've got a friend in Blaenau Ffestiniog who reckons it's about 2-3 foot deep in places there :nana
I remember that place well. There used to be slate mines/quarries and a mini railway line and when I was a young boy soldier I was based at Tonfanau, which is just south of Barmouth.........one of the tasks was to recover one of the "carriages" from the bottom of a steep and deep ravine..........it wasn't easy. I believe the railway line has now been restored.

I'm not sure that it wasn't on TV at the time though it may have been another "task", which involved hauling rolls of wire up extremely steep hillsides with posts. I met my first girlfriend there...........she was pretty monosyllabic, just kept saying baa.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by TeeferTiger »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Aprilaydee wrote:I've got a friend in Blaenau Ffestiniog who reckons it's about 2-3 foot deep in places there :nana
I remember that place well. There used to be slate mines/quarries and a mini railway line and when I was a young boy soldier I was based at Tonfanau, which is just south of Barmouth.........one of the tasks was to recover one of the "carriages" from the bottom of a steep and deep ravine..........it wasn't easy. I believe the railway line has now been restored.

I'm not sure that it wasn't on TV at the time though it may have been another "task", which involved hauling rolls of wire up extremely steep hillsides with posts. I met my first girlfriend there...........she was pretty monosyllabic, just kept saying baa.
It hasn't changed then lol
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by krussel »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Aprilaydee wrote:I've got a friend in Blaenau Ffestiniog who reckons it's about 2-3 foot deep in places there :nana
I remember that place well. There used to be slate mines/quarries and a mini railway line and when I was a young boy soldier I was based at Tonfanau, which is just south of Barmouth.........one of the tasks was to recover one of the "carriages" from the bottom of a steep and deep ravine..........it wasn't easy. I believe the railway line has now been restored.

I'm not sure that it wasn't on TV at the time though it may have been another "task", which involved hauling rolls of wire up extremely steep hillsides with posts. I met my first girlfriend there...........she was pretty monosyllabic, just kept saying baa.

That was a really interesting post and i was sitting here imagining you struggling to recover a carriage down a ravine and stumbling with a roll of wire. But then the last bit after you dragged me in, well too much information and things i did'nt want to visualise :crazy: :crazy: :Sick :Sick

Off to the naughty room for you my boy :roll:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by DGP1 »

Image

I hear we're getting these to help in the bad weather :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by dvbuk55 »

krussel wrote:That was a really interesting post and i was sitting here imagining you struggling to recover a carriage down a ravine and stumbling with a roll of wire. But then the last bit after you dragged me in, well too much information and things i did'nt want to visualise :crazy: :crazy: :Sick :Sick

Off to the naughty room for you my boy :roll:
Actually Kruss it was all true, except for the sheep bit........including the TV, it was 1963/4 as I recall. 63 was a really cold winter and the whole of the pipes on the camp froze solid. We marched down to the sea in t shirts and shorts and "daps" which were like pumps to wash, and even the edges of the sea were frozen.

I do recall a girlfriend there though who had striking green eyes and auburn hair................the name escapes me.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by krussel »

I had an uncle who lived near a closed tin mine in Cornwall and as a kid i used to go play there on the wagons riding them along some of the track, think they called them "gurneys" or something. How we never lost a foot or a hand i will never know. :d'oh!
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by dvbuk55 »

krussel wrote:I had an uncle who lived near a closed tin mine in Cornwall and as a kid i used to go play there on the wagons riding them along some of the track, think they called them "gurneys" or something. How we never lost a foot or a hand i will never know. :d'oh!
Because as youngsters you know no fear and show no fear, for some that continues in later life for others common sense takes over :chuckle
luddite
Posts: 451
Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:24

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by luddite »

when I was a young boy soldier I was based at Tonfanau, which is just south of Barmouth.........


Ah, Tonfanau! The perimeter road of the old army camp is now used as a motorcycle race track, very very bumpy and with as much grip as a welsh village pavement at the moment! :dance
wardroom
Posts: 97
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 19:17

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by wardroom »

dvbuk55 wrote:
krussel wrote:That was a really interesting post and i was sitting here imagining you struggling to recover a carriage down a ravine and stumbling with a roll of wire. But then the last bit after you dragged me in, well too much information and things i did'nt want to visualise :crazy: :crazy: :Sick :Sick

Off to the naughty room for you my boy :roll:
Actually Kruss it was all true, except for the sheep bit........including the TV, it was 1963/4 as I recall. 63 was a really cold winter and the whole of the pipes on the camp froze solid. We marched down to the sea in t shirts and shorts and "daps" which were like pumps to wash, and even the edges of the sea were frozen.

I do recall a girlfriend there though who had striking green eyes and auburn hair................the name escapes me.
Senior moment eh
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: RM suspend deliveries due to severe weather !!!

Post by dvbuk55 »

wardroom wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
krussel wrote:That was a really interesting post and i was sitting here imagining you struggling to recover a carriage down a ravine and stumbling with a roll of wire. But then the last bit after you dragged me in, well too much information and things i did'nt want to visualise :crazy: :crazy: :Sick :Sick

Off to the naughty room for you my boy :roll:
Actually Kruss it was all true, except for the sheep bit........including the TV, it was 1963/4 as I recall. 63 was a really cold winter and the whole of the pipes on the camp froze solid. We marched down to the sea in t shirts and shorts and "daps" which were like pumps to wash, and even the edges of the sea were frozen.

I do recall a girlfriend there though who had striking green eyes and auburn hair................the name escapes me.
Senior moment eh
Very! It's almost 50 years ago. I know I can hardly believe it myself, it doesn't seem a half century ago. :chuckle