ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PHG's

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: PHG's

Post by not me »

motherhubbard wrote:Our PHG duties involve alternating an early shift and a late shift on a weekly basis.
I will never do the late shift.
So although trained I never get asked -ever.

i was the same,tyhey changed the hours nad the PHGs alternated
told them i couldnt do any late shifts due to childcare
Pegman
Posts: 373
Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 22:41
Gender: Male
Location: The Deep South

Re: PHG's

Post by Pegman »

it's a lonely life in the locker.

They've been know to watch daytime TV to relieve the boredom
http://www.onlyoneunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% United, 100% Unofficial
bandit650
Posts: 880
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 15:42
Gender: Female

Re: PHG's

Post by bandit650 »

Stormproof wrote: Don't do it, I worked in Callers early/late shifts for 3 years and by the end I was nearly suicidal. You get no support from management and constant critism from the public. I've never been one to let things get to me so I was totally shocked by the state that job left me in.
My goodness you are so right we have had customers being abussive to staff managers never come down when you need them to and yes it is a busy job now they have cut the hours the office is open and staff ending up suicidal over it,now the PHG grade is not there anymore they can put anyone down there and the training they give will never prepare you for the abuse you get from the customer and staff as well.If your not happy say no.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16742
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: PHG's

Post by clashcityrocker »

Why do you suffer abuse?
Shut the window, make it clear that the behaviour is unacceptable and NO-ONE is getting served.
If the tossers don't get the message then you call the police.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: PHG's

Post by not me »

clashcityrocker wrote:Why do you suffer abuse?
Shut the window, make it clear that the behaviour is unacceptable and NO-ONE is getting served.
If the tossers don't get the message then you call the police.

window? now window in our office
all open plan :roll:
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: PHG's

Post by motherhubbard »

custard wrote:
window? now window in our office
all open plan :roll:
You could just let the public go and get their own packet then.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
Timelord
Posts: 143
Joined: 28 Aug 2008, 17:17
Gender: Female
Location: Gallifrey

Re: PHG's

Post by Timelord »

bandit650 wrote:
Stormproof wrote: Don't do it, I worked in Callers early/late shifts for 3 years and by the end I was nearly suicidal. You get no support from management and constant critism from the public. I've never been one to let things get to me so I was totally shocked by the state that job left me in.
My goodness you are so right we have had customers being abussive to staff managers never come down when you need them to and yes it is a busy job now they have cut the hours the office is open and staff ending up suicidal over it,now the PHG grade is not there anymore they can put anyone down there and the training they give will never prepare you for the abuse you get from the customer and staff as well.If your not happy say no.
Sorry to hear that Stormproof, I am a worrier and just the thought of going in there makes feel quite panicky, but can I actually refuse like bandit650 says if I get told I have to do it? I'd certainly have to try to refuse but don't know what the repurcussions would be?
'I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it'
The Doctor in 'An Unearthly Child'

A species set on endless growth is.... UNSUSTAINABLE
Timelord
Posts: 143
Joined: 28 Aug 2008, 17:17
Gender: Female
Location: Gallifrey

Re: PHG's

Post by Timelord »

clashcityrocker wrote:Why do you suffer abuse?
Shut the window, make it clear that the behaviour is unacceptable and NO-ONE is getting served.
If the tossers don't get the message then you call the police.
Yes you can do all that but, really, who needs it?
'I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it'
The Doctor in 'An Unearthly Child'

A species set on endless growth is.... UNSUSTAINABLE
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16742
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: PHG's

Post by clashcityrocker »

Timelord wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:Why do you suffer abuse?
Shut the window, make it clear that the behaviour is unacceptable and NO-ONE is getting served.
If the tossers don't get the message then you call the police.
Yes you can do all that but, really, who needs it?
Surely it is better than getting stressed and suicidal.
I don't accept abuse as part and parcel of my working day.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: PHG's

Post by TeeferTiger »

Timelord wrote:Mmm, see what you are saying. As well as all the specials it's the balancing of the till and the stamps, facing the public in the callers office, sorting the SA's out, getting all the stuff ready to go to the mail centre, locking up at night and being there alone and totally responsible, I'd find all a bit of a worry. Ah well.
It's one thing I complained about many times- being left completely alone in the D.O. The colls drivers kept leaving the door open (which you couldn't see from the inside hatch) and then I'd be locking up on my own, in the dark and I really didn't like it.

I quit the RLE after a manager swore at me because the MC driver didn't take a york of missorts that the said manager had put by the door. The driver walked past it a few times, I hadn't seen it as it wasn't visable from the hatch, I had work coming out of my ears because the RLE had been so busy and the york wasn't in the designated collections area.

I didn't want the responsibility anymore for that office. I do PHG work now in another office but there's no RLE as such and I only have to do reports.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: PHG's

Post by TeeferTiger »

Oh AND I was shafted out of early shift allowance for 7 months when I was starting at 5am.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: PHG's

Post by POSTMAN »

Timelord wrote:
bandit650 wrote:
Stormproof wrote: Don't do it, I worked in Callers early/late shifts for 3 years and by the end I was nearly suicidal. You get no support from management and constant critism from the public. I've never been one to let things get to me so I was totally shocked by the state that job left me in.
My goodness you are so right we have had customers being abussive to staff managers never come down when you need them to and yes it is a busy job now they have cut the hours the office is open and staff ending up suicidal over it,now the PHG grade is not there anymore they can put anyone down there and the training they give will never prepare you for the abuse you get from the customer and staff as well.If your not happy say no.
Sorry to hear that Stormproof, I am a worrier and just the thought of going in there makes feel quite panicky, but can I actually refuse like bandit650 says if I get told I have to do it? I'd certainly have to try to refuse but don't know what the repurcussions would be?
Best to see your rep as soon as you can if you're that worried.
Our PHG's have it s**t easy and i would personally jump at the chance at my place,it's better than walking the streets.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: PHG's

Post by Stormproof »

POSTMAN wrote:
Timelord wrote:
bandit650 wrote:
Stormproof wrote: Don't do it, I worked in Callers early/late shifts for 3 years and by the end I was nearly suicidal. You get no support from management and constant critism from the public. I've never been one to let things get to me so I was totally shocked by the state that job left me in.
My goodness you are so right we have had customers being abussive to staff managers never come down when you need them to and yes it is a busy job now they have cut the hours the office is open and staff ending up suicidal over it,now the PHG grade is not there anymore they can put anyone down there and the training they give will never prepare you for the abuse you get from the customer and staff as well.If your not happy say no.
Sorry to hear that Stormproof, I am a worrier and just the thought of going in there makes feel quite panicky, but can I actually refuse like bandit650 says if I get told I have to do it? I'd certainly have to try to refuse but don't know what the repurcussions would be?
Best to see your rep as soon as you can if you're that worried.
Our PHG's have it s**t easy and i would personally jump at the chance at my place,it's better than walking the streets.
How many people have you in the Callers Office now Postman? We've still only 1 per shift and as far as management are concerned thats too many :roll:
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: PHG's

Post by dvbuk55 »

jockstrapp wrote:Don't worry, if our phg is anything to go by (he's as thick as mince) they could get a monkey to do it :left: :left: :left:
Tell me about it! I manage the locker and believe me the peanuts get a little bit wearing after a while. :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle I have never had any formal training and there is a lot to learn but over time it becomes easier - don't worry about it, it is only your job to prepare them for the walks, getting rid of them is a managers responsibility - having said that.....................................
Blade Runner
Posts: 121
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: PHG's

Post by Blade Runner »

Don’t see what all the fuss is about; have been doing the late shift locker duty for the last 10 years. In the 40 years I have been with Royal Mail it’s easiest job I’ve ever had. :Very Happy
Pleidiol Wyf I'm Gwlad’