ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas Tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by dvbuk55 »

greynut wrote:I got a good tip today....... start learning Dutch........or German................... :wave
I already speak German - vielen dank. I also spent a good deal of time in Holland, nice people very friendlyImage :wink: that was of course 40 years ago.
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Christmas Tips

Post by Himaggen »

I'm not interested in tips but I've got a few good uns to give...

...like, "No you keep it; you can put in towards a proper letter box or fixing the effing gate"
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Christmas Tips

Post by BELIAL »

:chuckle :chuckle I've got a peculiar moral dilemma . Rest day cover working a Sausage chips and beans round and collected a fair amount of tips,what do you do? Guess I'll take the market view and treat it as compensation for wasted investment :chuckle
Bye
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Christmas Tips

Post by Pat Ostman »

Himaggen wrote:I'm not interested in tips but I've got a few good uns to give...

...like, "No you keep it; you can put in towards a proper letter box or fixing the effing gate"
:nana

No tips here but not bothered about it, hard times for everyone these days.
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
Prawn Star
Posts: 24
Joined: 09 Jan 2007, 18:19
Location: Birmingham

Christmas Tips

Post by Prawn Star »

One of my mates buys cards for his walk,every house...he rakes it in.

I work six days on mine and know everyone...they know when i'm off..


I'm on just under 100,expecting more next week.
wandererpaul
Posts: 33
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 19:09
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by wandererpaul »

Prawn Star wrote:One of my mates buys cards for his walk,every house...he rakes it in.

I work six days on mine and know everyone...they know when i'm off..


I'm on just under 100,expecting more next week.
"begging cards" more like !!!! :wink:
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Christmas Tips

Post by DGP1 »

Prawn Star wrote:One of my mates buys cards for his walk,every house...he rakes it in.

I work six days on mine and know everyone...they know when i'm off..


I'm on just under 100,expecting more next week.
I hope he puts stamps on them all :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
simply_the_best
Posts: 594
Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29

Christmas Tips

Post by simply_the_best »

islfor wrote:I work my floaters day off for his xmas tip, he then has two days off together, he prefers that than £30.


Nice one mate, well done :Applause


I'm a floater on 4 walks, i wish the miserable gits would all do that for me :Very Happy


In 6 years only one postie has ever given me £20 from his tips
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

Christmas Tips

Post by Edward Hunter »

Prawn Star wrote:One of my mates buys cards for his walk,every house...he rakes it in.

I work six days on mine and know everyone...they know when i'm off..


I'm on just under 100,expecting more next week.
A couple at mine do the card in every door thing and to be fair also do well from it, I have on occasions sent a card thanking a customer for a tip and wishing them a merry christmas.Its a gesture they appreciate (and it usually gurantees a tip the following year!) :dance
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Christmas Tips

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

simply_the_best wrote:In 6 years only one postie has ever given me £20 from his tips
This will cheer you up then in 5 years of doing my walk I have only ever got £20 total (not each year but the whole period). Plenty of cards and sweet just not a lot a cash.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
marie
Posts: 64
Joined: 09 Dec 2007, 17:36
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Christmas Tips

Post by marie »

Edward Hunter wrote:A couple at mine do the card in every door thing and to be fair also do well from it, I have on occasions sent a card thanking a customer for a tip and wishing them a merry christmas.Its a gesture they appreciate (and it usually gurantees a tip the following year!) :dance
if I get any tips, I always send the customer a wee card thanking them, and as you say, they DO appreciate it :)

one wee lady said in all the years she'd been tipping the posties at Christmas, she'd never received a card thanking her - she was delighted I'd taken the trouble.

Some of the guys in the Office think I'm nuts, but, its nice to be nice :wink:
Kim
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Sep 2008, 20:20
Gender: Female

Christmas Tips

Post by Kim »

I am a floater covering 5 walks ! The subject of accepting tips is a hard one :roll: :roll: . None of the Posties whose walks I cover ever offer me any of their tips :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! . and I always refuse customers when they offer me, and explain that I only do the walk once every week.. but sometimes they are insistant and it is hard to refuse.I have in the previous years passed on the money to the postie of the walk.. But this year, as the credit crunch is here, I am keeping them for myself !!
Can't wait for my own walk though !!!! but when that will be.. god knows !!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Christmas Tips

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Kim wrote:I am a floater covering 5 walks ! The subject of accepting tips is a hard one :roll: :roll: . None of the Posties whose walks I cover ever offer me any of their tips :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! . and I always refuse customers when they offer me, and explain that I only do the walk once every week.. but sometimes they are insistant and it is hard to refuse.I have in the previous years passed on the money to the postie of the walk.. But this year, as the credit crunch is here, I am keeping them for myself !!
Can't wait for my own walk though !!!! but when that will be.. god knows !!
Welcome Kim - hope you like the site.

I got a FT walk after only 11 months but that was because I purposely went for every walk that come up, and this one was so bad that no one else went for it. Its a really bad estate with lots of stairs but now I have been doing it for 4 years I am comfortable with it and enjoy it.

Going for a bad walk is the best way to get your own walk TBH.

Oh and take all the tips you are given, they must know you only cover it 1 day a week and ust want to give you the tip. :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Thorby Bislam
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 495
Joined: 04 Jan 2008, 20:45
Gender: Male
Location: Desolation Row

Christmas Tips

Post by Thorby Bislam »

BELIAL wrote::chuckle :chuckle I've got a peculiar moral dilemma . Rest day cover working a Sausage chips and beans round and collected a fair amount of tips,what do you do? Guess I'll take the market view and treat it as compensation for wasted investment :chuckle
?[/size]
Just spilt stain-remover down my shirt. Now how do I get that out?
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Christmas Tips

Post by NWpostie »

When I was on a Walk many years ago before going on Driving, a few of my floaters were self serving sociopaths and they have given me tips from my customers or share anything, they were quite happy to dump mail on my delivery or leave Skys, half of the people in my Office are slimey toads and wouldn't trust them to guard a sandwich, which is probably why I am in favour of scrapping Saturday deliveries, I have in the past have been given fairly generous tips sometime they say haven't you got the money from your floaters ? I would have to go round and prise it from their grubby fingers.

There some good ones in my Office..... not many unfortunately, the job is not what it was.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.