Check your contract. You should have a PDF version or similar. Search for "Core hours of work" and read on about "Actual hours".menditsa wrote: ↑21 Jul 2024, 22:23Does this clause allow them to change your start time from say 09.00 - 15.00 to 13.00 - 19.00 ? (DPR Driver)The nature of the service makes a measure of additional hours and overtime working necessary. For this reason, it is a condition of your employment that you are liable to work additional hours and overtime and to attend at varying times on any day (including weekends and public bank holidays) as the needs of the service demand.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Mandatory overtime on new contract?
-
Basildon Bond
- Posts: 410
- Joined: 21 Dec 2022, 19:21
- Gender: Male
Re: Mandatory overtime on new contract?
-
menditsa
- Posts: 389
- Joined: 22 Jun 2024, 08:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Mandatory overtime on new contract?
My contract does not reflect the Job Description or woking hours for the job offered to me coming from working at a DO for a year for an agency.
This was reported and I was told it's ok dont worry about it.
Although on a 6 hour daily contract I was offered a DPR driving role NOT a Postperson covering walks working Monday to Saturday.
I made it very clear that at my age 60+ a walk would be to much for me to handle, Sunday working was also a no no due to commitments and working beyond 17.30.
My direct LM agreed to this and everything was fine for a year until another LM decided to throw me on walk and started theating me I must complete and wilful delay of the mail.
This LM was pulled up for their actions and seems to have it in for me.
Telling me at 9am in the morning as of the following day my start time will now 1pm !!
I've been very flexible with my work even helping with walks covering a few loops to help out.
This was reported and I was told it's ok dont worry about it.
Although on a 6 hour daily contract I was offered a DPR driving role NOT a Postperson covering walks working Monday to Saturday.
I made it very clear that at my age 60+ a walk would be to much for me to handle, Sunday working was also a no no due to commitments and working beyond 17.30.
My direct LM agreed to this and everything was fine for a year until another LM decided to throw me on walk and started theating me I must complete and wilful delay of the mail.
This LM was pulled up for their actions and seems to have it in for me.
Telling me at 9am in the morning as of the following day my start time will now 1pm !!
I've been very flexible with my work even helping with walks covering a few loops to help out.
-
Barnacle
- Posts: 2948
- Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Earth
Re: Mandatory overtime on new contract?
Is there a union rep?menditsa wrote: ↑22 Jul 2024, 08:16My contract does not reflect the Job Description or woking hours for the job offered to me coming from working at a DO for a year for an agency.
This was reported and I was told it's ok dont worry about it.
Although on a 6 hour daily contract I was offered a DPR driving role NOT a Postperson covering walks working Monday to Saturday.
I made it very clear that at my age 60+ a walk would be to much for me to handle, Sunday working was also a no no due to commitments and working beyond 17.30.
My direct LM agreed to this and everything was fine for a year until another LM decided to throw me on walk and started theating me I must complete and wilful delay of the mail.
This LM was pulled up for their actions and seems to have it in for me.
Telling me at 9am in the morning as of the following day my start time will now 1pm !!
I've been very flexible with my work even helping with walks covering a few loops to help out.
They have to put such start time changes in writing and give you notice.
Also, you shouldn’t be being bullied to complete if the amount of work is ridiculous.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
-
Basildon Bond
- Posts: 410
- Joined: 21 Dec 2022, 19:21
- Gender: Male
Re: Mandatory overtime on new contract?
I know it sucks and it's probably not going to help, and maybe you don't want to hear it, but... only the contract matters (this goes for everyone reading this too). Employers can put vague information in a job descriptions; during the interview they can promise you this and that too. However, to enter into employment anywhere legally you have to sign a contract. What is written in that contract are the requirements, parameters, and boundaries for your employment. It sounds like you had a nodding agreement to alter exactly what you do day to day. Again, it sucks. Quite often on here people reply "get it in writing". Either that's too difficult or impossible. Hence why there are probably lots of little agreements working perfectly well until a new manager turns up and tries to be the new broom.
If, let's say, I need every Tuesday off because I have a strict commitment outside of work - I can work any day in the week but not Tuesdays. If I was new and applying for the role the job description is going to say Tuesdays are a work day. During the interview I can say that I need every Tuesday off. During the interview they can nod and smile, say "sure, no problem!", and do whatever they want. However, once I'm shown the contract I have to look for the clause calling out Tuesday are excluded from my working week. If it's not in there - I don't sign. If they refuse to add a clause - I walk away. Simple. Signing at that point would mean that I do have to work Tuesdays.
If I was currently employed and then I need Tuesdays off start in a couple of months: I would look to get my contract changed. If they won't do it - I guess I'm leaving. If they say, while they cannot alter the current contract but they are "OK" to accommodate my request - I will try to get that in a one-off letter as a record. If it was just a verbal "sure, we can make it work", then I'm on thin ice if they decided to reverse the decision. I've got no argument to make other than "but he said it was OK?!?". To which they'll shrug. And they I'll get depressed, or angry, or start pulling my hair out, or blaming all the managers - for all the good that it will do.
Be somewhat glad that it lasted for a long as it did. I know it's hard to hear, but that seems to be the reality.
BTW: I'm not telling you here that you have to lump it. I don't know what is in your contract. I'm saying go read it and see if they are breaking any parts of it.
If, let's say, I need every Tuesday off because I have a strict commitment outside of work - I can work any day in the week but not Tuesdays. If I was new and applying for the role the job description is going to say Tuesdays are a work day. During the interview I can say that I need every Tuesday off. During the interview they can nod and smile, say "sure, no problem!", and do whatever they want. However, once I'm shown the contract I have to look for the clause calling out Tuesday are excluded from my working week. If it's not in there - I don't sign. If they refuse to add a clause - I walk away. Simple. Signing at that point would mean that I do have to work Tuesdays.
If I was currently employed and then I need Tuesdays off start in a couple of months: I would look to get my contract changed. If they won't do it - I guess I'm leaving. If they say, while they cannot alter the current contract but they are "OK" to accommodate my request - I will try to get that in a one-off letter as a record. If it was just a verbal "sure, we can make it work", then I'm on thin ice if they decided to reverse the decision. I've got no argument to make other than "but he said it was OK?!?". To which they'll shrug. And they I'll get depressed, or angry, or start pulling my hair out, or blaming all the managers - for all the good that it will do.
Be somewhat glad that it lasted for a long as it did. I know it's hard to hear, but that seems to be the reality.
BTW: I'm not telling you here that you have to lump it. I don't know what is in your contract. I'm saying go read it and see if they are breaking any parts of it.
-
nuit
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 18 Oct 2015, 14:55
- Gender: Female
Re: Mandatory overtime on new contract?
What you are basically talking about here isn't 'overtime'
It's the fact that you are on a new contract that doesn't get a paid meal break. So if you are taking a 30min meal break it is unpaid. So you have to effectively work that 30mins longer than your colleagues that do get a paid meal break to have worked the correct number of hours.
Also your work hours are based on a 40hr week rather than a 37 he one of that makes it any easier to understand
-
Newandscared
- Posts: 109
- Joined: 21 Nov 2024, 08:12
- Gender: Female
Re: Mandatory overtime on new contract?
They do seem to want you to do overtime though, even if your hours stated on your contract are those hours because of a reasonable adjustment for disability. Also noticing that there is a drama on a daily basis due to poor management as a whole, people are regularly doing more than their shift with less than a turning up for their shifts notice. Genuine vehicle breakdowns and equipment malfunctions shouldn't be on a daily basis, this feels more like a breach of contract by RM due to failure to supply safe, sufficianet and appropriate equipment and working conditions.
-
Barnacle
- Posts: 2948
- Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Earth
Re: Mandatory overtime on new contract?
They’ve been commanded to cut back hours, but if everyone only worked their contracted hours, Mail and their precious parcels would be backing up from day one.Newandscared wrote: ↑19 Dec 2024, 08:14They do seem to want you to do overtime though, even if your hours stated on your contract are those hours because of a reasonable adjustment for disability. Also noticing that there is a drama on a daily basis due to poor management as a whole, people are regularly doing more than their shift with less than a turning up for their shifts notice. Genuine vehicle breakdowns and equipment malfunctions shouldn't be on a daily basis, this feels more like a breach of contract by RM due to failure to supply safe, sufficianet and appropriate equipment and working conditions.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’