ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Sent to another office
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Sent to another office
To drive your car to an office that isn't your usual one requires you to have business use on your car insurance policy so the screw will need to provide you with a van to take you from your home office at your start time and get you back to your home office for your finish time
-
gnuru
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 29 Aug 2017, 18:23
- Gender: Male
Re: Sent to another office
Thanks for the replies and all the previous helpful posts by-the-way.
I'm one of the least senior (though quite senior in age!) so accept I can be sent. My only issue is if it is true that anyone on a contract of 10 years or more can't be sent?
It's for a week at a time, and if more could go in rotation, I think (ballpark figure coming up!) I'd only be sent a couple of time a year rather than couple of times a month, or something like that(?!) I appreciate the potential positives, but it's a very challenging area physically. Other downsides - I risk losing my duty in re-signs, as others get more opportunities to learn it, plus I do feel a buzz/satisfaction for doing a good job, and this won't be possible where they want to send me.
I'm one of the least senior (though quite senior in age!) so accept I can be sent. My only issue is if it is true that anyone on a contract of 10 years or more can't be sent?
It's for a week at a time, and if more could go in rotation, I think (ballpark figure coming up!) I'd only be sent a couple of time a year rather than couple of times a month, or something like that(?!) I appreciate the potential positives, but it's a very challenging area physically. Other downsides - I risk losing my duty in re-signs, as others get more opportunities to learn it, plus I do feel a buzz/satisfaction for doing a good job, and this won't be possible where they want to send me.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Re: Sent to another office
Never heard of the 10 years thing! Also seniority is the major factor in a re-sign (alhtough not the only one) so yougnuru wrote: ↑02 Apr 2023, 12:52Thanks for the replies and all the previous helpful posts by-the-way.
I'm one of the least senior (though quite senior in age!) so accept I can be sent. My only issue is if it is true that anyone on a contract of 10 years or more can't be sent?
It's for a week at a time, and if more could go in rotation, I think (ballpark figure coming up!) I'd only be sent a couple of time a year rather than couple of times a month, or something like that(?!) I appreciate the potential positives, but it's a very challenging area physically. Other downsides - I risk losing my duty in re-signs, as others get more opportunities to learn it, plus I do feel a buzz/satisfaction for doing a good job, and this won't be possible where they want to send me.
could potentially lose 'your' duty regardless of other people learning it. Managers who don't like conflict tend not to send the established
posties as they don't want the aggravation that would result, so end up sending the relative 'newbies' who are less likely to 'kick off'.
Furthermore, (AFAIK) most recent hires have contracts that say you can be sent to other locations as required, established postie
contracts from decades ago - who knows?
-
Boltonian-White
- Posts: 138
- Joined: 22 Sep 2010, 16:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Sent to another office
I've known people sent to a different office well over 15 years ago, back when the office was overstaffed. It was new starters back then though, so way down the seniority list. I've known some volunteer to be sent to another office because they know they'll be paid just to travel and do as little as possible. Personally I'd rather put in a shift and clear as much as possible. If you feel like you're getting picked on then kick up a fuss and claim discrimination. A rota will soon appear if you have decent dom / com whatever they call them these days.gnuru wrote: ↑02 Apr 2023, 12:52Thanks for the replies and all the previous helpful posts by-the-way.
I'm one of the least senior (though quite senior in age!) so accept I can be sent. My only issue is if it is true that anyone on a contract of 10 years or more can't be sent?
It's for a week at a time, and if more could go in rotation, I think (ballpark figure coming up!) I'd only be sent a couple of time a year rather than couple of times a month, or something like that(?!) I appreciate the potential positives, but it's a very challenging area physically. Other downsides - I risk losing my duty in re-signs, as others get more opportunities to learn it, plus I do feel a buzz/satisfaction for doing a good job, and this won't be possible where they want to send me.
-
gnuru
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 29 Aug 2017, 18:23
- Gender: Male
Re: Sent to another office
I think about a quarter of the workforce is on a rota for sending out, and yes, from least senior. Think it means going for every 2nd or 3rd week. If that rota pool was just half the workforce, then going every 5th/6th week wouldn't be so bad. Don't doubt though that most established posties would refuse outright. So much for comradeship!
Devil's advocate might say the least senior are more likely to be on starters/minimum contract/less responsibilities and therefore less of a loss to managers perhaps .. ?
Devil's advocate might say the least senior are more likely to be on starters/minimum contract/less responsibilities and therefore less of a loss to managers perhaps .. ?