ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I'm never surprised as what some customers get up to ... or Posties! However I've never come across this before ... I mean Poppies FFS! :crazy:

I could understand if you'd dug up a rare, and expensive, plant but Poppy Heads! :shock:

For what it's worth I'd probably tell my DOM (he's not as bad as some)....... knock on the door and apologise to the customer ....... tell him you're not going to be paying him any compensation for "Dead Heading" his Poppies for him (I suppose you could warn him that you've been advised this could be construed as Blackmail, why not contact the CWU Legal Helpline see what they say) .... and learn yet another lesson in life. :thumbup

Good Luck try not to stress ... it's a killer. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by masterblaster »

Do they have a sign stating CCTV Monitoring as legally required?
Wolf91
Posts: 506
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by Wolf91 »

Why on earth … :crazy:
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by eastie »

Dead heading a poppy FFS they come back every year. You haven't killed the plant or dug it up
Rekoons
Posts: 9
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 23:29
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by Rekoons »

Can’t believe people are trying to justify it, sackable offence in my eyes.

Moaning about being blackmailed… laughable
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

It is Blackmail.

It was theft. (if it happened) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60

Whilst 2 wrongs don't make a right, you could be in trouble however it plays out. Best to be honest and accept the consequences of your actions.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Black_Cat
Posts: 3
Joined: 16 Aug 2022, 14:06
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by Black_Cat »

enskied wrote: ↑
16 Aug 2022, 17:15
Maybe you are. However the customer is blackmailing you, a more serious offence.

One single Poppy head can have Over 500 /1000 seeds, so why a hand full? Or why not knock and ask?

As said blackmail is the bigger crime. He has demanded compensation or else.
I took all the poppy heads. Lets not be naive as to why.
dennyboycox
Posts: 56
Joined: 29 Jun 2014, 21:12
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by dennyboycox »

slap the bake of him
doob
Posts: 61
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by doob »

It might be the drug problem Royal Mail would be be more worried about hearing about.
Just say sorry and ask how he wants to be compensated. Don’t let him take the mick tho.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by Postie45 »

You can see it from the customers point of view he has grown his poppies and the postie has come along and damaged and stolen from them, I'd be pissed off too.

If you want to keep your job, make it right with the customer he's doing you a favour by not reporting it already, the fact that he checked to see who did this on cctv suggests he's not bluffing.
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by xPandabear1992x »

:d'oh!

Is that something a normal person would even do?

You’re there to deliver stuff.

No commit theft, if petty no doubt.
Kenfandango
Posts: 694
Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by Kenfandango »

masterblaster wrote: ↑
16 Aug 2022, 19:16
Do they have a sign stating CCTV Monitoring as legally required?
I think of this every time I hear a ring doorbell go off, especially those situated at an angle so it catches you in the neighbours garden
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by Ali831 »

Our old postman used to pick and eat raspberries we had growing in the garden, never had a problem with it as there were so many and he only ever took a couple at a time. He was a lovely chap and when we knew he was doing it we told him to help himself before the birds ate them. Wouldn't dream of involving the police or demanding compensation i would have just had a quiet word telling him not to do it again.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16709
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by clashcityrocker »

I don't think a few raspberries is the same as deadheading all the blokes poppies in search of opium.

I eat the blackberries in a couple of gardens because there are so many and they are so sweet. They are wild.
I don't expect to get pulled up for it.
I wouldn't eat the raspberries in the same way I wouldn't pick courgettes or onions out of someone's vegetable garden.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Black_Cat
Posts: 3
Joined: 16 Aug 2022, 14:06
Gender: Male

Re: Am I in trouble? Caught by CCTV

Post by Black_Cat »

I guess what I'm trying to weigh up is how much trouble my job could be in vs a couple of hundred quid