ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

photos of parcels

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by deltaforce »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:22
1560loopsayear wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:19
All in the name of keeping up good customer relations and not leaving them with a scowl on their face.
The customer is the person sending it not the person receiving it
Yes but most of the time it’s the receiver that has paid for the service so they have good reason to be peeved.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by Dorset Plodder »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 19:47
Clearly taking photos on the doorstep has changed and whilst doorstepping wasn't official policy you only have to look on here, FB and Workplace to know that it was regularly taking place. Although leaving parcels in previously agreed safe places is not really the same as doorstepping.

When the DOM announced this new process there was the usual moaning & groaning. Personally I couldn't really see the problem I've been using safe places, and taking a photo, all through Covid. Admittedly there's a bit more time taken IF you need a front door open.

While discussing this with a colleague, who was getting well stressed, it turned out he's NEVER taken a photo throughout Covid :shock: So basically he's been doorstepping all the time. No wonder people like that are worried about photos taking more time. He had been using a lot of closed porches/safe places but hadn't realised you could photograph them. :crazy: I explained, "It shouldn't take that much time.. walk up the path... scan packet .. hit safe place .. choose enclosed porch ... put it in the porch... take a photo... knock the door ... and walk away". :thumbup

Had a few tug of war with customers who were grabbing their parcels as soon as they opened the door :left: Now I just say, "Hang on I need to take a photo of that parcel before you dissappear with it" Most of them are familiar with the process as so many other courier companies use it. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by SpacePhoenix »

deltaforce wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:48
SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:22
1560loopsayear wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:19
All in the name of keeping up good customer relations and not leaving them with a scowl on their face.
The customer is the person sending it not the person receiving it
Yes but most of the time it’s the receiver that has paid for the service so they have good reason to be peeved.
Nope. The recipient is a customer of the sender and they've paid the sender to send it. RM's customer is the sender who's the one who actually paid the postage
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by Woody Guthrie »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 10:30
deltaforce wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:48
SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:22
1560loopsayear wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:19
All in the name of keeping up good customer relations and not leaving them with a scowl on their face.
The customer is the person sending it not the person receiving it
Yes but most of the time it’s the receiver that has paid for the service so they have good reason to be peeved.
Nope. The recipient is a customer of the sender and they've paid the sender to send it. RM's customer is the sender who's the one who actually paid the postage
They're actually both our customers.
One's a third party customer but they're still a customer. I pay for my Spotify through my phone contract but I'm still a Spotify customer.

If I damage someone's property or act like an arse to someone they don't contact Boohoo do they?

We have a responsibility to both types of customer whether they pay us directly or through a third party.
Only dead fish follow the current
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by Acca Dacca »

deltaforce wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:48
SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:22
1560loopsayear wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 09:19
All in the name of keeping up good customer relations and not leaving them with a scowl on their face.
The customer is the person sending it not the person receiving it
Yes but most of the time it’s the receiver that has paid for the service so they have good reason to be peeved.
Technically the receiver pays our customer to get their parcel to them and our customer pays Royal Mail to get it to their customer
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
TopperGas
Posts: 3523
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by TopperGas »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 10:10
TopperGas wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 19:47
Clearly taking photos on the doorstep has changed and whilst doorstepping wasn't official policy you only have to look on here, FB and Workplace to know that it was regularly taking place. Although leaving parcels in previously agreed safe places is not really the same as doorstepping.

When the DOM announced this new process there was the usual moaning & groaning. Personally I couldn't really see the problem I've been using safe places, and taking a photo, all through Covid. Admittedly there's a bit more time taken IF you need a front door open.

While discussing this with a colleague, who was getting well stressed, it turned out he's NEVER taken a photo throughout Covid :shock: So basically he's been doorstepping all the time. No wonder people like that are worried about photos taking more time. He had been using a lot of closed porches/safe places but hadn't realised you could photograph them. :crazy: I explained, "It shouldn't take that much time.. walk up the path... scan packet .. hit safe place .. choose enclosed porch ... put it in the porch... take a photo... knock the door ... and walk away". :thumbup

Had a few tug of war with customers who were grabbing their parcels as soon as they opened the door :left: Now I just say, "Hang on I need to take a photo of that parcel before you dissappear with it" Most of them are familiar with the process as so many other courier companies use it. :cuppa
I was under the impression "doorstepping" was just leaving customers parcels in the open on their door step not leaving them in closed porches/safe places? Regardless if the customer hasn't confirmed via an inflight message that it's in order to leave the parcel in a safeplace then it should be brought back to the DO if the customer is out, if you don't and the customer makes a DoR claim I assume the DOM will be asking questions.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: photos of parcels

Post by maisymoo04 »

One pain in the A@@@ this photo capture :thumbdown
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Chelseablue
Posts: 2226
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: photos of parcels

Post by Chelseablue »

N takes longer , when weve less time to do things as it is .Hence mail being left .
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by Dorset Plodder »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 16:03

I was under the impression "doorstepping" was just leaving customers parcels in the open on their door step not leaving them in closed porches/safe places? Regardless if the customer hasn't confirmed via an inflight message that it's in order to leave the parcel in a safeplace then it should be brought back to the DO if the customer is out, if you don't and the customer makes a DoR claim I assume the DOM will be asking questions
.
I believe that's most Postie's interpretation of "Door Stepping", although it has expanded to include anything short of handing it to the customer over the years. It probably boils down to if you are the Regular Duty Holder and how well you know your customers, and the area. :hmmmm

I hear what you're saying Topper, and according to the letter of RM law you're probably right. I think any customer would be hard pushed to make a claim if you had left it in their porch .... unasked .... taken a photo and then they'd had it nicked. But as above. :whistle

As with so many things in RM it's left up to the Common Sense of the Postie, and their relationship to Regular Customers/Residents. Any Reserve has my Full Support if they Docket everyone that's not in and bring back everything! I'm not going to have a go at them! Next day I'll just tell them, "See what a wonderful service you're getting from me .... saving you going all the way to the Delivery Office for your parcels .... don't forget that at Christmas"! :wink:

I'm pretty lucky that I deliver to a respectable area with a very low crime rate and, touch wood, I think I've only ever had 3 parcels go missing over the last 7, or 8, years. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by Acca Dacca »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
21 Mar 2022, 12:35
TopperGas wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 16:03

I was under the impression "doorstepping" was just leaving customers parcels in the open on their door step not leaving them in closed porches/safe places? Regardless if the customer hasn't confirmed via an inflight message that it's in order to leave the parcel in a safeplace then it should be brought back to the DO if the customer is out, if you don't and the customer makes a DoR claim I assume the DOM will be asking questions
.

As with so many things in RM it's left up to the Common Sense of the Postie, and their relationship to Regular Customers/Residents. Any Reserve has my Full Support if they Docket everyone that's not in and bring back everything! I'm not going to have a go at them! Next day I'll just tell them, "See what a wonderful service you're getting from me .... saving you going all the way to the Delivery Office for your parcels .... don't forget that at Christmas"! :wink:

Thats pretty poor and flinging the reserves under the bus for doing their jobs right
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
21 Mar 2022, 14:34
Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
21 Mar 2022, 12:35


As with so many things in RM it's left up to the Common Sense of the Postie, and their relationship to Regular Customers/Residents. Any Reserve has my Full Support if they Docket everyone that's not in and bring back everything! I'm not going to have a go at them! Next day I'll just tell them, "See what a wonderful service you're getting from me .... saving you going all the way to the Delivery Office for your parcels .... don't forget that at Christmas"! :wink:

[Thats pretty poor and flinging the reserves under the bus for doing their jobs right : ??? :shock:

I think you've misread my post AD. As you can see I said I fully support my Day Off Cover in docketing parcels and not knowing where residents have asked me to leave their parcels. My quote should be taken tongue in cheek. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by Acca Dacca »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
21 Mar 2022, 15:37
Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
21 Mar 2022, 14:34
Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
21 Mar 2022, 12:35


As with so many things in RM it's left up to the Common Sense of the Postie, and their relationship to Regular Customers/Residents. Any Reserve has my Full Support if they Docket everyone that's not in and bring back everything! I'm not going to have a go at them! Next day I'll just tell them, "See what a wonderful service you're getting from me .... saving you going all the way to the Delivery Office for your parcels .... don't forget that at Christmas"! :wink:

[Thats pretty poor and flinging the reserves under the bus for doing their jobs right : ??? :shock:

I think you've misread my post AD. As you can see I said I fully support my Day Off Cover in docketing parcels and not knowing where residents have asked me to leave their parcels. My quote should be taken tongue in cheek. :cuppa
Yeah you support it because it makes you ''look good'' in comparison

Reserves all know your type! Martyrs for tips
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by postslippete »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 10:10
TopperGas wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 19:47
Clearly taking photos on the doorstep has changed and whilst doorstepping wasn't official policy you only have to look on here, FB and Workplace to know that it was regularly taking place. Although leaving parcels in previously agreed safe places is not really the same as doorstepping.

When the DOM announced this new process there was the usual moaning & groaning. Personally I couldn't really see the problem I've been using safe places, and taking a photo, all through Covid. Admittedly there's a bit more time taken IF you need a front door open.

While discussing this with a colleague, who was getting well stressed, it turned out he's NEVER taken a photo throughout Covid :shock: So basically he's been doorstepping all the time. No wonder people like that are worried about photos taking more time. He had been using a lot of closed porches/safe places but hadn't realised you could photograph them. :crazy: I explained, "It shouldn't take that much time.. walk up the path... scan packet .. hit safe place .. choose enclosed porch ... put it in the porch... take a photo... knock the door ... and walk away". :thumbup

Had a few tug of war with customers who were grabbing their parcels as soon as they opened the door :left: Now I just say, "Hang on I need to take a photo of that parcel before you dissappear with it" Most of them are familiar with the process as so many other courier companies use it. :cuppa

But you're customer friendly Dorset and unfortunately most of us aren't.


It would be different if people on the rounds were happy, smiling and friendly but on my round they are often skint, depressed and miserable.

Apart from one or two the druggies, prozzies and welfare work dodgers are not the sort of people I really want to associate with and that extra minute I find fumbling around trying to take a photo in their presence is most uncomfortable indeed.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by Dorset Plodder »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 19:47
But you're customer friendly Dorset and unfortunately most of us aren't.

It would be different if people on the rounds were happy, smiling and friendly but on my round they are often skint, depressed and miserable.

Apart from one or two the druggies, prozzies and welfare work dodgers are not the sort of people I really want to associate with and that extra minute I find fumbling around trying to take a photo in their presence is most uncomfortable indeed.
I can certainly sympathise with anyone having to deliver to some of these sink estates TG, I think a lot of us forget that there's some really shite duties out there when we're moaning about how hard done by we are. I'm very aware that I deliver to a "Nice" area. Bet no-one's fighting to nick your duty on a resign? Hope the better weather improves your residents outlook.:cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: photos of parcels

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
21 Mar 2022, 17:14

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
21 Mar 2022, 12:35

I think you've misread my post AD. As you can see I said I fully support my Day Off Cover in docketing parcels and not knowing where residents have asked me to leave their parcels. My quote should be taken tongue in cheek. :cuppa
Yeah you support it because it makes you ''look good'' in comparison :left:

Reserves all know your type! Martyrs for tips
:left:

Sorry for coming across as the Big Bad Full Timer that craps on his DOC. You should check out some synonyms for Tongue in Cheek AD : .... Bantering, Facetious, Cleverly Amusing. It's called having a Sense of Humour Mate ..... it makes the world go round! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)