ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

who is very concerned about our future?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by 2yearpostie »

Sorry, im not long term royal mail, so I talk straight and dont speak the normal flimflam you hear from management and posties that have never done a job in the real world.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by Jahpostie »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 15:09
Sorry, im not long term royal mail, so I talk straight and dont speak the normal flimflam you hear from management and posties that have never done a job in the real world.
I'm also not long term Royal Mail and have worked for over 20 years elsewhere, so yes I've worked in the real world. I earned 17k last year as a part timer, so yes peanuts is correct. A main earner of a family could not survive on that. When you factor in the 2 hours a day to recover at the end of a shift, it is a full time job for part time wages. Peanuts or pin money, you decide. Obviously it is different for full timers. Before people pipe up about overtime. The only overtime is outdoor and the current duties are already too big. Physically I couldn't do anymore than I do.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by 2yearpostie »

Jahpostie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 16:18
2yearpostie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 15:09
Sorry, im not long term royal mail, so I talk straight and dont speak the normal flimflam you hear from management and posties that have never done a job in the real world.
I'm also not long term Royal Mail and have worked for over 20 years elsewhere, so yes I've worked in the real world. I earned 17k last year as a part timer, so yes peanuts is correct. A main earner of a family could not survive on that. When you factor in the 2 hours a day to recover at the end of a shift, it is a full time job for part time wages. Peanuts or pin money, you decide. Obviously it is different for full timers. Before people pipe up about overtime. The only overtime is outdoor and the current duties are already too big. Physically I couldn't do anymore than I do.
I earned a similar amount and im the only only earner of the house and I cope.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

What is wrong with my previous statement?,
It's tired, predictable and pointless.

It assumes you're the only one in the room smart enough to figure that out.

It's unhelpful.

It appears on every thread(often by you) where people have any issues with the job.

It's unrealistic and inadvisable in the current job market for many people whose personal circumstances you know nothing about.

It makes you look like an arsehole, again apologies but it does.
Only dead fish follow the current
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by Jahpostie »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 16:30
Jahpostie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 16:18
2yearpostie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 15:09
Sorry, im not long term royal mail, so I talk straight and dont speak the normal flimflam you hear from management and posties that have never done a job in the real world.
I'm also not long term Royal Mail and have worked for over 20 years elsewhere, so yes I've worked in the real world. I earned 17k last year as a part timer, so yes peanuts is correct. A main earner of a family could not survive on that. When you factor in the 2 hours a day to recover at the end of a shift, it is a full time job for part time wages. Peanuts or pin money, you decide. Obviously it is different for full timers. Before people pipe up about overtime. The only overtime is outdoor and the current duties are already too big. Physically I couldn't do anymore than I do.
I earned a similar amount and im the only only earner of the house and I cope.
"Cope".

Surely you want to more than cope. There's more to life than just existing. It's not the 1800s.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by 2yearpostie »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 16:39
What is wrong with my previous statement?,
It's tired, predictable and pointless.

It assumes you're the only one in the room smart enough to figure that out.

It's unhelpful.

It appears on every thread(often by you) where people have any issues with the job.

It's unrealistic and inadvisable in the current job market for many people whose personal circumstances you know nothing about.

It makes you look like an arsehole, again apologies but it does.

It's also tired, predictable and pointless complaining about the job that you do, only one person has the opportunity to change things and thats the person complaining. We all know RM dont really give a diddle squat how we feel they just want a,b and c done as cheaply and quickly as possible, theirs no point in getting upset or complaining on social media about it, if it makes the person doing the job feels miserable then grab the chance to retrain into another sector and make your life better.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by 2yearpostie »

Jahpostie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 16:57
2yearpostie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 16:30
Jahpostie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 16:18
2yearpostie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 15:09
Sorry, im not long term royal mail, so I talk straight and dont speak the normal flimflam you hear from management and posties that have never done a job in the real world.
I'm also not long term Royal Mail and have worked for over 20 years elsewhere, so yes I've worked in the real world. I earned 17k last year as a part timer, so yes peanuts is correct. A main earner of a family could not survive on that. When you factor in the 2 hours a day to recover at the end of a shift, it is a full time job for part time wages. Peanuts or pin money, you decide. Obviously it is different for full timers. Before people pipe up about overtime. The only overtime is outdoor and the current duties are already too big. Physically I couldn't do anymore than I do.
I earned a similar amount and im the only only earner of the house and I cope.
"Cope".

Surely you want to more than cope. There's more to life than just existing. It's not the 1800s.
Theirs the ideal world and the real one. Im currently debt free and keeping the wolf from the door, theirs a lot to be said for that.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

It's also tired, predictable and pointless complaining about the job that you do,
Not on here.
It's pretty much what the site was set up for, that and to pass on information.

You don't get to shut down anyone complaining about the job with the same smart assed reply, they're allowed to complain all they want and if it bores you the door's over there somewhere.
Only dead fish follow the current
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by 2yearpostie »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 17:08
It's also tired, predictable and pointless complaining about the job that you do,
Not on here.
It's pretty much what the site was set up for, that and to pass on information.

You don't get to shut down anyone complaining about the job with the same smart assed reply, they're allowed to complain all they want and if it bores you the door's over there somewhere.
What is the purpose of complaining? Is it not more productive and positive to change the situation?
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by WASD »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote: ↑
25 Aug 2021, 22:52
WASD wrote: ↑
25 Aug 2021, 08:48
The way i see it is the company is failing to modernise despite huge investment over the past decade.
That’s what they want you to believe.

What huge investment have we had over the past decade? All I have witnessed is the assets of the business being stripped and sold off to pay dividends to shareholders. Look at the state of the buildings we are using, the age of the vans we are driving. The business has been cut to the bone not invested in.

The parcels hubs are a decade too late and financed by borrowing. You can’t blame the frontline staff either for failure to modernise (whatever modernising looks like). The job is totally different to the one I joined up to do.
The reality is RM are failing to grow. They're losing ground to competition, and their original business model is on its last legs, (6day letters).

A lot has been invested since the privatisation and sales of shares. Entire new van fleets replaced bikes, new trollies, sorting machines, the new recent parcel hubs and parcel post boxes. Many of these require new staff and training.
Sure, RM has to pay investors a return, but so they should. Selling off assets and laying off staff is just a byproduct of poor business management.

I don't blame staff for the lack of modernisation, i blame management up top. Unless that's what you meant?

A company that had the monopoly, had cash in the bank, and saw global trends changing, should be on top. Many people saw the beast that was Amazon pre 2010, it was glaringly obvious. Many also experienced poor customer service from the likes of Citylink pre 2010 and Yodel soon after. Looking back at online sources i see Comet was liquidated in 2012, so that shows how progressive internet shopping was becoming years before. Hell, we had mail order catalogues pre widespread broadband. Market professionals are supposed to know this stuff and predict where companies need to adapt.

It's not like the internet was something no one could have predicted shopping wise. You just need to look at overseas manufacturing and how China invested, unlike the UK in many areas. We can also take a look at supermarkets and how they grew to such sizes, their complacency cost them too, the likes of Lidl reinventing the supermarket has forced others to adapt.

I doubt RM will go anywhere any time soon, but the postie as we know him/her will be gone.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by Jahpostie »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 17:08
It's also tired, predictable and pointless complaining about the job that you do,
Not on here.
It's pretty much what the site was set up for, that and to pass on information.

You don't get to shut down anyone complaining about the job with the same smart assed reply, they're allowed to complain all they want and if it bores you the door's over there somewhere.
Absolutely bang on. The managers don't tell us anything or listen to us so we need somewhere to vent and get information.

If you want to be all happy clappy then RM Workplace Facebook thingy is the place for you.
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by blacov »

I am going to go off topic but how on earth people can cope earning 17-18k? I mean is this a figure after tax? Do you guys live somewhere up north in a pretty remote location or a small town, where rent for a 1bed flat is like £400?
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

WASD wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 17:49
The reality is RM are failing to grow. They're losing ground to competition, and their original business model is on its last legs, (6day letters).

A lot has been invested since the privatisation and sales of shares. Entire new van fleets replaced bikes, new trollies, sorting machines, the new recent parcel hubs and parcel post boxes. Many of these require new staff and training.
Sure, RM has to pay investors a return, but so they should. Selling off assets and laying off staff is just a byproduct of poor business management.

I don't blame staff for the lack of modernisation, i blame management up top. Unless that's what you meant?

A company that had the monopoly, had cash in the bank, and saw global trends changing, should be on top. Many people saw the beast that was Amazon pre 2010, it was glaringly obvious. Many also experienced poor customer service from the likes of Citylink pre 2010 and Yodel soon after. Looking back at online sources i see Comet was liquidated in 2012, so that shows how progressive internet shopping was becoming years before. Hell, we had mail order catalogues pre widespread broadband. Market professionals are supposed to know this stuff and predict where companies need to adapt.

It's not like the internet was something no one could have predicted shopping wise. You just need to look at overseas manufacturing and how China invested, unlike the UK in many areas. We can also take a look at supermarkets and how they grew to such sizes, their complacency cost them too, the likes of Lidl reinventing the supermarket has forced others to adapt.

I doubt RM will go anywhere any time soon, but the postie as we know him/her will be gone.
Good post. I guess the point I was making was kind of the same as yours. I agree the business has just been ticking over for far too long, I don’t however believe anything has really been invested in the business since privatisation. Vans and stuff like that are just a cost of doing business. If you look at the property RM have sold off it could have paid outright for the new parcel hubs, which as I already said should have been in place over a decade ago.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by 2yearpostie »

blacov wrote: ↑
26 Aug 2021, 18:20
I am going to go off topic but how on earth people can cope earning 17-18k? I mean is this a figure after tax? Do you guys live somewhere up north in a pretty remote location or a small town, where rent for a 1bed flat is like £400?
yes, ( but its a 3 bed house for £400 not a flat)
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: who is very concerned about our future?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

What is the purpose of complaining? Is it not more productive and positive to change the situation?
Complaining is how you change a situation.
Running away isn't. You could be running away into exactly the same situation or worse and it certainly doesn't change the situation for those left behind.

What happens on here is that by complaining about the same things people realise it isn't just them or their office, they're not just being awkward or resistant to change and they're not alone, hopefully this gives people the confidence to speak up and complain to the right people, people who can affect change.

Back in the day the same thing used to happen in the pub after work but at nearly a fiver a pint that's no longer an option.
Only dead fish follow the current