ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Dejection after nearly 33 years
-
Pathfinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 208
- Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
- Gender: Male
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
So glad I left, now treated like a real person and pushed to better myself to my best abilities, it's actually nice to have a "Get yourself better mate and hopefully see you soon" response as opposed to "When you coming back, come in tomorrow?" approach that doms give with sickness.
Being a postie is a superb job but the shite parts as posted above that comes with it eventually grinds the good part down.
Being a postie is a superb job but the shite parts as posted above that comes with it eventually grinds the good part down.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
Management doesn’t exist anymore. The union aren’t much cop either. Both just sitting comfortably collecting fat paychecks off our backs.
-
priority102
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 520
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
- Gender: Female
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
I left recently after nearly 25 years, all of the reasons above for not leaving went over and over and over in my mind. Like most, loved the job but it has been completely ruined by management who haven't got a clue and only go by what the software says is achievable, and colleagues stabbing each other in the back (simply because they too are at a low ebb through being totally fed up and pressured).Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑22 Jul 2021, 15:24
Lots of reasons.
Fear of change.
Financial insecurity.
Lack of alternative skills, education.
Institutionalisation.
The loss of a large group of friends.
Not wanting to be the new guy at a new firm again.
Some like me still love the overall job but hate the (unnecessary) s**t that goes with it. It's just a shame the level of management capability is so poor, it was never great but it's worse than I can ever remember in 30+ years.
I even cried the day after I left....what have I done?
BUT.....the following day I went to a new company, and I am being completely honest in saying that it is the best decision I have made! No more early mornings, every Saturday off, no more feeling constantly knackered, FAR less aches and pains, no more politics, no more constant pressure to do lapsing, no more listening to colleagues arguing that one has an hours' extra docket to another, or inspecting docket sheets first thing next morning to see who has done what the day before, no more getting in your van and finding crap everywhere from the previous user who doesn't give a toss, no more trying to get repairs done on your van that sometimes end up being sorted with a plastic bag tie, no more getting soaked on a cold rainy day, no more banging on about seniority, the list goes on.....
AND, I am only £20 per week before tax/NI worse off.
My quality of life has shot up, much more relaxed, enjoying time with family and friends through not being knackered, more interest in outside things/hobbies etc. I genuinely feel like a new person.
Yes, I'm sitting typing this on a Saturday morning at home with a coffee! You only get one chance at life, don't hold back.....despite the new CEO being possibly the best the company has had in a long time, sadly the fact is that he will not achieve even half of what he wants during his tenure due to having to be pulled one way by the executive and completely the opposite way by the workforce. It's a recipe that I cannot ever see working, they were trying to sort it 25 years ago when I joined!
-
Dexydog
- Posts: 887
- Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
Well said that man, so pleased you are in a much better place, both mentally and physically.
Wont be long behind you.
Wont be long behind you.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
barncopxx wrote: ↑24 Jul 2021, 08:34
I left recently after nearly 25 years,
Well DoneGlad everything's worked out well for you.
There's certainly enough jobs out there. Listening to the news everyone's crying out for Staff. I'll stick it out a while longer because I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, but for any youngsters I can't see what's in it for them. Good luck with your New Life.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
TopperGas
- Posts: 3526
- Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
barncopxx wrote: ↑24 Jul 2021, 08:34Out of interest what job are you now doing?Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑22 Jul 2021, 15:24.
AND, I am only £20 per week before tax/NI worse off.
My quality of life has shot up, much more relaxed, enjoying time with family and friends through not being knackered, more interest in outside things/hobbies etc. I genuinely feel like a new person.
Yes, I'm sitting typing this on a Saturday morning at home with a coffee! You only get one chance at life, don't hold back.....despite the new CEO being possibly the best the company has had in a long time, sadly the fact is that he will not achieve even half of what he wants during his tenure due to having to be pulled one way by the executive and completely the opposite way by the workforce. It's a recipe that I cannot ever see working, they were trying to sort it 25 years ago when I joined!
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
Frame? Luxury! We sorted on the floor.SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑22 Jul 2021, 17:48When I first started, you had the H&S stuff, then it was basically, here's the frame, here's the work, get on with it
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16710
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
The floor? Luxury.
We just had a pit in the car park.
We just had a pit in the car park.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
We sorted in caves . The local dinosaur delivered the mail
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
clocking in machines and equal workloads would be a start.
it would stop people getting their deliveries done and going home 3 hours early for a full day's pay while others with massive rounds have to stay out on overtime to complete.
it would stop people getting their deliveries done and going home 3 hours early for a full day's pay while others with massive rounds have to stay out on overtime to complete.
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
tell you what there's a good oppurtinity in our office to hire someone to shunt the vans to the spaces they belong in, before the day or afterwards. the amount of lazy dickheads that leave the vans in wholy inappropriate places to cut a few seconds off their shift is staggering.markarronsmith wrote: ↑22 Jul 2021, 09:38par4mrl wrote: ↑22 Jul 2021, 00:20I am coming up to nearly 33 years service but I am going to admit that I have never felt more dejected in this job at any one point than now. One word that always jumped off the page to me that describes RM to a tee is inconsistency and how much there is of it. The company in my honest opinion is very very poorly run from the top down. Trying to save hours ( yet pay postman to ghost ), managers having the bonus carrot dangled in front of them which averts their attention from their main attention of their very job. Poor morale and lack of communication from every angle that certain posties get and others are deemed unworthy of. I truly have seen it all and it will get even worse. I am sorry if this is down beat but I just wanted to see if others are also affected. I always felt I was glass half full but am beginning to doubt that now. I will also admit that I have never been a big supporter of union affairs and how postman are meant to be fully supportive of something that in my opinion are no better than RM management…..rant over
Spot on. Poor management and the way RM operate is ridiculous. Called in yesterday cos there was a van “available”
Gave me a van, not in yard. Gave me another, not in yard. Gave me a third van, engine failure. Finally gave me one after waiting around for an hour![]()
They was trying to make out like it was my fault the vans wasn’t there and trying to make it my fault it had an engine problem! One manager said “oh you have to find that one” how can I find it when it’s not even there?!! Madness.
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
Yeah. We had one of the big wigs at ours about 3-weeks ago. Said he’d been looking at the Actuals & there were massive discrepancies- some finishing 90-mins early every day others always to time & beyond. Said this needed to be addressed ASAP.xPandabear1992x wrote: ↑26 Jul 2021, 19:07clocking in machines and equal workloads would be a start.
it would stop people getting their deliveries done and going home 3 hours early for a full day's pay while others with massive rounds have to stay out on overtime to complete.
I’m just praying that the corner cutters & break dodgers get their just deserts in the up-coming revision as despite this gaffer telling them he was onto them they STILL persist in working at 150 mph & coming into work early.
All seems to have gone silent on the clock machines though,anyone got an update?
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
They'll just jump off the duty they've screwed up onto another one.I’m just praying that the corner cutters & break dodgers get their just deserts in the up-coming revision
Only dead fish follow the current
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
Scrapping saturday deliveries all over media today and signed deliveries . Thatl mean job losses then .
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: Dejection after nearly 33 years
Tabletop revision only means no re-pick.Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑26 Jul 2021, 19:57They'll just jump off the duty they've screwed up onto another one.I’m just praying that the corner cutters & break dodgers get their just deserts in the up-coming revision
We have four new brand new estates that are currently not assigned to any duty,so expect sparks to fly if justice is done…
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”