No it's not down to personal preference, like it has been mentioned above it is mandatory
No it isn't.
It's *mandatory to use the specific delivery method for that duty loop designed in a revision 10 years ago.
That might be an LWT, it might be an HCT or it might be a small 8kg bag if using a trolley is not practical.
* How mandatory it still is would be up for debate but the idea of the trolleys was designed around the basis of filling both bags on each loop, not using them to carry a couple of small packets around so getting all stroppy with people because you "think" you're right is probably not a good idea.
no wonder dims are forcing more work ( lapsing ) on to staff when reading some of these comments and it also doesnt help the cwu either , i give up
As well as the people still rushing around as if their life depended on it to get out on delivery as early as possible no doubt making mistakes (mis sorts etc), and then moaning when getting back early and being asked to take a few packets out.
no wonder dims are forcing more work ( lapsing ) on to staff when reading some of these comments and it also doesnt help the cwu either , i give up
As well as the people still rushing around as if their life depended on it to get out on delivery as early as possible no doubt making mistakes (mis sorts etc), and then moaning when getting back early and being asked to take a few packets out.
What has any of that got to do with whether a trolley is now with the change in mail profile over the last 10 years necessary on some loops or not?
You're taking something that is a genuine point of practicality and turning into an excuse to roll out the same old, same old.
Trolleys were introduced to take the heavy weight off the shoulder and allow is to deliver more parcels, they were not introduced to spin out a duty so we could do as little as possible. This isn't 1978.
no wonder dims are forcing more work ( lapsing ) on to staff when reading some of these comments and it also doesnt help the cwu either , i give up
As well as the people still rushing around as if their life depended on it to get out on delivery as early as possible no doubt making mistakes (mis sorts etc), and then moaning when getting back early and being asked to take a few packets out.
What has any of that got to do with whether a trolley is now with the change in mail profile over the last 10 years necessary on some loops or not?
You're taking something that is a genuine point of practicality and turning into an excuse to roll out the same old, same old.
Trolleys were introduced to take the heavy weight off the shoulder and allow is to deliver more parcels, they were not introduced to spin out a duty so we could do as little as possible. This isn't 1978.
No it's not down to personal preference, like it has been mentioned above it is mandatory
No it isn't.
It's *mandatory to use the specific delivery method for that duty loop designed in a revision 10 years ago.
That might be an LWT, it might be an HCT or it might be a small 8kg bag if using a trolley is not practical.
* How mandatory it still is would be up for debate but the idea of the trolleys was designed around the basis of filling both bags on each loop, not using them to carry a couple of small packets around so getting all stroppy with people because you "think" you're right is probably not a good idea.
Mandatory is not up for debate, that's like saying your a little bit pregnant. You use the trolley unless it is not safe to do so and like I said before if your loop is one bundle and a few packets then your loop is long enough. No strop here.
When should a trolley be used?
Is the answer ‘always’?
You have one bundle of mail and 2 light packets, should you be using a trolley?
You have 2 bundles, no packets, trolley again?
There is no need to use a trolley if there is no need.
We can all be awkward at times but there's taking the piss.
If a bag feels heavy to you then use the trolley, obviously that will be different for everyone.
I knew a guy who did the trolley for anything thing, I think he ended up medically retired.
Why would they medically retire him? People carrier bag everywhere I put on too much weight on the shoulder which ultimately means you end up walking lopsided also it puts pressure on the bottom of your spine which means you are eventually eroding a bone in your spine over a long period of time it’s ridiculous just to get around quicker
in my instance, i'll not bother packing in the first bundle and cram as much stuff into a bag as possible. Obviously it means I can then just lug the bag onto my shoulder and then carry the first bundle in my arm.
if it takes up more than one bag, i'm taking an LWT.
only carry what you're comfortable with.
No you should carry no more than 6 kg on your Back that’s the rule
There are some people at our place who literally carried 2 or 3 bags on their shoulders so when they start the loop they can hardly walk with the weights on their back, I have actually seen these people coming to work holding their shoulders and back and stretching and say that they have back pain I just laugh and say really. I really don’t get it for the sake of saving three or four minutes each loop what is the point only time I ever carry a bag is if I just literally have one bundle of mail for that loop plus a few light packets otherwise are use a trolley it’s just not worth it, Now under our revision these people who cut their rounds up by carrying bags and charging round on now being given more lapsing the same I think it’s quite funny really they’re now complaining but they won’t get the job done in the time well typically these are the sort of people who have ruined the job but others they keep coming in early and running with bags on the back well well done you
I'm a driver.
I deliver very few parcels by driving (maybe two or three per day), only the very largest ones, most will fit in an empty bag on one side of the trolley with the mail and smaller parcels in the other bag on the other side of the trolley. Sometimes if the weather is ok I'll put a parcel on the trolley rack top between the bags.
Also if the weather is ok I carry my bundle of mail on the rack top between the bags and just take the mail for each address out of the bundle as I go.
I'm a driver.
I deliver very few parcels by driving (maybe two or three per day), only the very largest ones, most will fit in an empty bag on one side of the trolley with the mail and smaller parcels in the other bag on the other side of the trolley. Sometimes if the weather is ok I'll put a parcel on the trolley rack top between the bags.
Also if the weather is ok I carry my bundle of mail on the rack top between the bags and just take the mail for each address out of the bundle as I go.
I use a trolly for every loop. I find it easier as I don't have to carry a massive bag on my shoulder and try to sort through packets. I can spread the loop over two bags and have all the parcels in order. Ps I was told by doc after I hurt my back a few years ago never to carry a bag regardless of weight on one shoulder as it will miss align your back.
If you carry a bag you end up leaning lopsided to balance the weight on your shoulder you also put pressure on your spine which over time will cause damage which will be permanent, also it’s very awkward walking up a driveway with a bag on back as you end up knocking into a car or something else then scrambling around for a package in the bag, why do people keep doing this do you think Royal Mail will really care when you end up scratching a car like someone at our place did? Or you injured yourself? No of course they won’t wake up and stop carrying it on your back before it’s too late
There's some over the top and inappropriate preaching and virtue signalling going on here.
The original post was about when in limited circumstances the amount of mail and parcels made the trolley unnecessary, it wasn't about lugging heavy bags around a whole duty.
Trolley all the time.What people don’t realise is back muscles are like ropes on a tent.If you strain to one side (away from bag on shoulder) your buggering up muscles on the other side.It might feel ok at the time but your heading for future trouble. Also the extra weight on your vertebrae and discs.It ain’t worth it don’t do it
Trolley all the time.What people don’t realise is back muscles are like ropes on a tent.If you strain to one side (away from bag on shoulder) your buggering up muscles on the other side.It might feel ok at the time but your heading for future trouble. Also the extra weight on your vertebrae and discs.It ain’t worth it don’t do it
Exactly. People will only understand when it happens to them which will probably be in retirement