ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Rico
-
adamanti
- Posts: 148
- Joined: 13 Jan 2012, 14:45
- Gender: Male
Rico
Plenty of full-timers at our office doing 60+ hour's a week. Should they receive more than the £200?.Any bonus is paid on contracted hour's, simple. Lot of good part timers as well but to be honest the majority are killing the job at our place, coming in early and working for free. Always makes me smile when they then complain about bonuses. Bye Rico. Is it back to GLS.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Rico
Tell me about it mate. I got stiched up with one of these a few years ago (Office Transfer)postslippete wrote:
Our Union held gate meetings for all PT and FT staff but when we had work,time learning sessions the part-timers were not invited in, presumably because managers believed that it might add to overtime or lead to cut-offs. But PTers don't help themselves. Many come in early to help prep their own duty so they can get out the door and most don't want to have these work/time sessions.
Part-timers never get hours reviewed unless there is usually a revision. The CWU want a shorter working week and they want all staff on the same number of hours. That is their answer to getting all members unionised. The problem isn't the Union,it's the company themselves. They have even recruited staff on 20 hours contracts.[
Some FT colleagues pumping out 15 + hours OT a week is a disgrace IMO, when you've got other PT colleagues struggling to get their hours increased. TBH I'm amazed they've got the energy .... I'm knackered most weeks just doing my normal duty ......I can only assume they've got some pretty easy duties (same goes for people working their days off)
I realise RM has it's own agenga, and really doesn't like FTers (preferring a PT workforce who can "Flex Up" as required) but common sense would suggest a much fairer allocation of contracted hours. Note I didn't say fairer allocation of work, because I believe the PTers are already doing more than their paid share of the work.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Rico
us full timers getting a right kicking on here . Its not our fault the way r m are , a lot of us (oldies, moaners, past its) have put up with our fair share of kickings over the years too . If i hadnt been here a long time and leaving soon no way i would stay in this job the way its going. The pro rata thing is a joke btw
-
2yearpostie
- Posts: 1839
- Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Rico
im part time and i took the job because its part time ( and pays as well as my previous full time min wage job), As it was advertised as part time why are people so surprised when thats the hours they work? If you cant afford to live on part time wages dont take a part time job!
Also i know a lot of you complain about part timers starting early, but ( in my office at least) its done on duration and not start/finish times, in fact my contract doesn't mention start/finish times or length of any day. it just says we want you to work xx hrs per week.
Also i know a lot of you complain about part timers starting early, but ( in my office at least) its done on duration and not start/finish times, in fact my contract doesn't mention start/finish times or length of any day. it just says we want you to work xx hrs per week.
-
south London postie
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
- Gender: Male
Rico
Plenty of OT to go round. Point is what kind.
FT get offered ghost and cream, PT get leftovers, and get paid for the exact hours they do. All sorted out hours before PT arrive at work.
FT get offered ghost and cream, PT get leftovers, and get paid for the exact hours they do. All sorted out hours before PT arrive at work.
Last edited by south London postie on 17 May 2020, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
-
Pathfinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 208
- Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
- Gender: Male
Rico
Dorset Plodder wrote:postslippete wrote:
Some FT colleagues pumping out 15 + hours OT a week is a disgrace IMO, when you've got other PT colleagues struggling to get their hours increased. TBH I'm amazed they've got the energy .... I'm knackered most weeks just doing my normal duty ......I can only assume they've got some pretty easy duties (same goes for people working their days off)![]()
Agree bud, in my experience these are the workers who will take 6 hours to do 2 hours work milking the company dry
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Rico
I know we are going off topic a bit but I think the only way to distribute OT fairly is to put a complete end to ghost OT. Most PT staff don’t do ghost OT anyway, so they are used to being paid for the hours they do. That way if those who are used to getting 2 hours for 1 hour of work complain and don’t want to do it for the actual time it takes, you have a 2nd tier of PT staff most of whom are willing to step up and do it.
It’s ridiculous that it’s common practice to have people finishing before their duty time and going home early, while there’s work to be done which is then being paid at an enhanced level to others.
One guy at our depot recently did 3 rounds in 1 day, he got 20 hours for it. He was out the door 8.30 and was done just after 7pm. 20 hours for 10 and a bit hours work!
There are rural rounds here where only a couple of people know them, so if the cover guy is on holiday the regular guy uses it to his advantage and says he’ll only come in if he’s paid X hours. Pretty much holding management to ransom who know otherwise the tracked and specials (plus the rest of the round) will be failed.
For the record I’ve done ghost OT just once, when I van shared with a much more experienced colleague who demanded we get an extra 2 hours each. When I told him I’m not fussed I just want paying for what I do he told me to shut up and let him barter.
We can’t criticise managers, the union and unfair distribution of bonuses when we continuing this practice.
It’s ridiculous that it’s common practice to have people finishing before their duty time and going home early, while there’s work to be done which is then being paid at an enhanced level to others.
One guy at our depot recently did 3 rounds in 1 day, he got 20 hours for it. He was out the door 8.30 and was done just after 7pm. 20 hours for 10 and a bit hours work!
There are rural rounds here where only a couple of people know them, so if the cover guy is on holiday the regular guy uses it to his advantage and says he’ll only come in if he’s paid X hours. Pretty much holding management to ransom who know otherwise the tracked and specials (plus the rest of the round) will be failed.
For the record I’ve done ghost OT just once, when I van shared with a much more experienced colleague who demanded we get an extra 2 hours each. When I told him I’m not fussed I just want paying for what I do he told me to shut up and let him barter.
We can’t criticise managers, the union and unfair distribution of bonuses when we continuing this practice.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
nuisance
- Posts: 215
- Joined: 06 Oct 2016, 12:57
- Gender: Female
Rico
I'm part time and I'm part time because I really, really like walking and delivering post and there aren't any alternative career options in this department so until a full time position walking and posting letters presents itself, I do it part time and grab overtime which when I took the job I was assured would be plentiful. It works OK but I am very aware of the unfairness between full and part timers. Definition of a full time royal mail worker IME: Someone who starts and finishes 2 hours earlier than part time royal mail workers but gets more money, including when they're not even there due to leave, sickness and now self isolation, whilst being covered by part time reserves. It is a piss take. Even the delivery supplement is more for full timers when we do exactly the same deliveries, just as many households and IME do the bulk of the graft of extra loops and parcels that want covering. I'd argue that part timers often do more delivering than full timers.2yearpostie wrote:im part time and i took the job because its part time ( and pays as well as my previous full time min wage job), As it was advertised as part time why are people so surprised when thats the hours they work? If you cant afford to live on part time wages dont take a part time job!
Also i know a lot of you complain about part timers starting early, but ( in my office at least) its done on duration and not start/finish times, in fact my contract doesn't mention start/finish times or length of any day. it just says we want you to work xx hrs per week.
-
Joe B
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
- Gender: Male
Rico
The LAT app on the PDA is a work around for lack of knowledge. You can scan anything with a barcode and it will then organise it and set out a route. It's not brilliant by any means but it gets you on the right road and then requires a bit of hunting for the property. So the next time a rural round can't get covered at least the tracked, specials and 2d barcodes can get delivered.HTPostman wrote:I know we are going off topic a bit but I think the only way to distribute OT fairly is to put a complete end to ghost OT. Most PT staff don’t do ghost OT anyway, so they are used to being paid for the hours they do. That way if those who are used to getting 2 hours for 1 hour of work complain and don’t want to do it for the actual time it takes, you have a 2nd tier of PT staff most of whom are willing to step up and do it.
It’s ridiculous that it’s common practice to have people finishing before their duty time and going home early, while there’s work to be done which is then being paid at an enhanced level to others.
One guy at our depot recently did 3 rounds in 1 day, he got 20 hours for it. He was out the door 8.30 and was done just after 7pm. 20 hours for 10 and a bit hours work!
There are rural rounds here where only a couple of people know them, so if the cover guy is on holiday the regular guy uses it to his advantage and says he’ll only come in if he’s paid X hours. Pretty much holding management to ransom who know otherwise the tracked and specials (plus the rest of the round) will be failed.
For the record I’ve done ghost OT just once, when I van shared with a much more experienced colleague who demanded we get an extra 2 hours each. When I told him I’m not fussed I just want paying for what I do he told me to shut up and let him barter.
We can’t criticise managers, the union and unfair distribution of bonuses when we continuing this practice.
-
nuisance
- Posts: 215
- Joined: 06 Oct 2016, 12:57
- Gender: Female
Rico
Yes, seriously, I didn't phrase it very well but I have a lot of energy and want a job that involves someone paying me to walk 8 miles a day. There aren't many alternatives, lol, so I figure I have to put up with the drawbacks like never being able to get a full time contract.Chelseablue wrote:Are you for real? Go back to being a paper boy thatl suit youre needs
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Rico
When I started everyone was full time it is not the full time you should vent your anger at but the management as to the delivery supplement it is not for delivering them but prepping them and a small part of early start supplement pay for starting before 06:00 hours when the deal to make later starts. As to full time your best bet is a reduction of the working week as your pay will increase more, And the work that cannot be done by the reduction of full time staff would have to be taken up somewhere presumably by those who need extra hours.nuisance wrote:I'm part time and I'm part time because I really, really like walking and delivering post and there aren't any alternative career options in this department so until a full time position walking and posting letters presents itself, I do it part time and grab overtime which when I took the job I was assured would be plentiful. It works OK but I am very aware of the unfairness between full and part timers. Definition of a full time royal mail worker IME: Someone who starts and finishes 2 hours earlier than part time royal mail workers but gets more money, including when they're not even there due to leave, sickness and now self isolation, whilst being covered by part time reserves. It is a piss take. Even the delivery supplement is more for full timers when we do exactly the same deliveries, just as many households and IME do the bulk of the graft of extra loops and parcels that want covering. I'd argue that part timers often do more delivering than full timers.2yearpostie wrote:im part time and i took the job because its part time ( and pays as well as my previous full time min wage job), As it was advertised as part time why are people so surprised when thats the hours they work? If you cant afford to live on part time wages dont take a part time job!
Also i know a lot of you complain about part timers starting early, but ( in my office at least) its done on duration and not start/finish times, in fact my contract doesn't mention start/finish times or length of any day. it just says we want you to work xx hrs per week.
-
1560loopsayear
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 05 Mar 2019, 18:33
- Gender: Male
Rico
Two full-timers sharing two walks can jump on their frames after their breaks and have them bagged-up and walking out the door to load up the van when Two part-timers sharing two walks are just coming in to start their shift - putting them a good hour or more behind the full timers, but are still expected to clear the same volume of work and finish at the same time. How does that work out? As long as this keep happening their will be no harmony and 'we're all in this together' between staff. Probably just what Royal Mail want. We need mandatory re-picks were two walk duties shared can only have 1 full-timer paired with 1 part-timer... and clock-in/out cards.