ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mail Redirect with Special Circumstances form (Power of Attorney)

Post Office® discussion forum for our Post Office® colleagues from Crown, Franchise to Sub Post Offices.
NorthernGuy

Mail Redirect with Special Circumstances form (Power of Attorney)

Post by NorthernGuy »

I need to redirect the mail of a relative who has dementia and has gone into care. I have Power of Attorney over her.

This cannot be done online, so I have downloaded the Special Circumstances form which covers POA redirections. I don't want to post off my paper POA document - attorneys should never surrender this I've been told - so I intend to arrange the redirect with the form and POA document in a Post Office branch.

Will I be able to show them the POA document, allowing them to copy it if desired, but take it away with me afterwards, if I do this in branch?

gfte

Re: Mail Redirect with Special Circumstances form (Power of Attorney)

Post by gfte »

No idea about the post office part, just on the POA docs, can you get the solicitors to do you a few certified copies? Yes it's a cost, but once you start dealing with the likes of pension providers etc that don't have high street branches it can be very handy.
NorthernGuy

Re: Mail Redirect with Special Circumstances form (Power of Attorney)

Post by NorthernGuy »

The POA system has latterly gone online, so for 95% of companies I can just email them a code created in my online POA account, which is specific to that company, which they can then view/download and I can check has been viewed later. The idea was to get away from certified copies & recorded deliveries etc. Works very well, but sadly Royal Mail won't accept a POA redirection online. Yes I could spend time & money paying a solicitor to photocopy the master copy that I should never really surrender.

My forum post is to find out if presenting that paper copy in branch will avoid the hassle of certified copies, which I've not needed anywhere else.