ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postmen will take photographs on your property when they leave parcels behind

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postmen will take photographs on your property when they leave parcels behind

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ehind.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Royal Mail to pilot scheme which will see posties take photographs as "proof of delivery" when they leave a parcel outside

Postmen will be equipped with miniature cameras so they can take photographs of packages left behind customers’ bins or in their front gardens, as part of a new trial by the Royal Mail.

Hand-held computers carried by postal workers on their rounds will include the cameras and staff may be encouraged to use the devices to “prove” deliveries have been made.

If the addressees are out, postmen are already permitted to leave parcels in a “safe place” designated by the householder.

Under the new scheme an image of the deposited package will be taken by the postman, and can then be emailed to the customer on request.

It raises the prospect of the photo being used as part of arbitration between the Royal Mail and the public in the case of a parcel going missing, the Mail on Sunday reported.

The trial could see posties routinely carrying cameras in the same way as parking attendants, who use them to record motoring misdemeanours, and police officers, thousands of whom are already equipped with body-worn video cameras. The move was revealed in a Royal Mail manager’s reply to a letter in the company's staff newspaper.

Graham Devlin, the Royal Mail's outdoor design manager, wrote: “Our new PDAs (Postal Digital Assistant) will have a camera facility built in.
“These will be used for things like proof of delivery and for security.

“For example, if a customer requests proof that you've delivered their item to their designated Safe Place, you will have the ability to take a picture of the item in that location.”

Customers can complete a form at a sorting office to nominate a safe place for post to be left when they are out.

Courier companies already use cameras to record deliveries but the technology will be a new departure for Royal Mail.

Consumer Focus, a watchdog, has previously said there were concerns about postmen leaving “Sorry, you were out” cards instead of making a proper attempt to deliver items that would not fit through a customer’s letter box.

Royal Mail, which was privatised by the Coalition in 2013, has purchased thousands of new Zebra TC75 hand-held computers for postmen, which have built-in cameras and cost around £1,300.

A spokesman said: “The camera facility might potentially be utilised where a customer requests proof of delivery to a designated Safe Place.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Postmen will take photographs on your property when they leave parcels behind

Post by Surreypostie »

So, if I read this right, we can now leave parcels in an insecure location so long as we take a photo to prove it and if it gets nicked we will be ok? Sorry, not me. I had a tracked item, Safe place said, leave on dorrstep, no effing chance, marked the parcel insecure safeplace and they got a P739 as there was no neighbour in to take it. Sorry but it's my arse on the line if it goes wrong. Also, what is to stop me, popping the parcel down, taking a snap of it then pinching it myself? Not that I would but I'm sure there are a few dodgy postman out there. I always thought mail integrity was our number one priority.
mw7485
Posts: 123
Joined: 02 Dec 2013, 15:41
Gender: Female

Re: Postmen will take photographs on your property when they leave parcels behind

Post by mw7485 »

Surreypostie wrote:.... I always thought mail integrity was our number one priority.

No, that'll be profits! :Very Happy
mondeo1
Posts: 58
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 08:00
Gender: Male

Re: Postmen will take photographs on your property when they leave parcels behind

Post by mondeo1 »

Surreypostie wrote:So, if I read this right, we can now leave parcels in an insecure location so long as we take a photo to prove it and if it gets nicked we will be ok? Sorry, not me. I had a tracked item, Safe place said, leave on dorrstep, no effing chance, marked the parcel insecure safeplace and they got a P739 as there was no neighbour in to take it. Sorry but it's my arse on the line if it goes wrong. Also, what is to stop me, popping the parcel down, taking a snap of it then pinching it myself? Not that I would but I'm sure there are a few dodgy postman out there. I always thought mail integrity was our number one priority.
100% agree with you mate,if not in 739 will be left,i have not got the time to be taking photos of sodden parcels being left on door steps,leave this practice to the job wreckers that are in most sorting offices
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: Postmen will take photographs on your property when they leave parcels behind

Post by bogstandard »

Surreypostie wrote:So, if I read this right, we can now leave parcels in an insecure location so long as we take a photo to prove it and if it gets nicked we will be ok? Sorry, not me. I had a tracked item, Safe place said, leave on dorrstep, no effing chance, marked the parcel insecure safeplace and they got a P739 as there was no neighbour in to take it. Sorry but it's my arse on the line if it goes wrong. Also, what is to stop me, popping the parcel down, taking a snap of it then pinching it myself? Not that I would but I'm sure there are a few dodgy postman out there. I always thought mail integrity was our number one priority.
no you didn't read it right, we can/will take a photo of an item for the customer in their designated safe place. All this proves is that at the time the picture was taken there was an item there, this is all it proves. I have pictures of family holidays going back years and if i was to go back today it would likely be different, i could take a picture now and then go back in 20 mins and it would likely be different.
There is nothing stopping any thief or postie taking the item asap. Then we roll out the "ah ha but i have a picture of said item in your designated safe place sir/madam, so that prove beyond all doubt we delivered it and subsequently made sure no one stole it" Some thieves work for RM and are stupid enough to get RM to argue the case for them.
Wouldn't surprse me if they did roll it out
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Postmen will take photographs on your property when they leave parcels behind

Post by 5plusbonusball »

You order a parcel, you are out, BE PREPARED to collect that parcel at your own cost, other methods of redelivery etc are out there.
We don't have time now for any fannying around with gadgets. 739 every time :thumbup keeps callers office staff in a job.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Postmen will take photographs on your property when they leave parcels behind

Post by Surreypostie »

bogstandard wrote:
Surreypostie wrote:So, if I read this right, we can now leave parcels in an insecure location so long as we take a photo to prove it and if it gets nicked we will be ok? Sorry, not me. I had a tracked item, Safe place said, leave on dorrstep, no effing chance, marked the parcel insecure safeplace and they got a P739 as there was no neighbour in to take it. Sorry but it's my arse on the line if it goes wrong. Also, what is to stop me, popping the parcel down, taking a snap of it then pinching it myself? Not that I would but I'm sure there are a few dodgy postman out there. I always thought mail integrity was our number one priority.
no you didn't read it right, we can/will take a photo of an item for the customer in their designated safe place. All this proves is that at the time the picture was taken there was an item there, this is all it proves. I have pictures of family holidays going back years and if i was to go back today it would likely be different, i could take a picture now and then go back in 20 mins and it would likely be different.
There is nothing stopping any thief or postie taking the item asap. Then we roll out the "ah ha but i have a picture of said item in your designated safe place sir/madam, so that prove beyond all doubt we delivered it and subsequently made sure no one stole it" Some thieves work for RM and are stupid enough to get RM to argue the case for them.
Wouldn't surprse me if they did roll it out
I'll only safeplace an item if I feel it is safe. I had one previously, safeplace, leave on doorstep. No, end of.