ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by datasaint »

http://imgur.com/a/1kl2X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't tried them as they were somebody elses lying in the van, the sole seems fairly flexible when I tried twisting it, not sure about the tread though, the yellow spot is a wear indicator when it disappears the shoe needs to be replaced.
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by Ozzvaldo »

norm wrote:http://imgur.com/a/1kl2X

Haven't tried them as they were somebody elses lying in the van, the sole seems fairly flexible when I tried twisting it, not sure about the tread though, the yellow spot is a wear indicator when it disappears the shoe needs to be replaced.
My DO was among several that had them issued last year as part of a trial and we were asked to give our opinions on them a few weeks later.

I have to say that I found them very comfortable to work in on delivery and I still even use mine for gardening. The reason that I can't still use them for work is that the yellow spot only hangs around for a couple of months. In terms of grip, the sole was generally OK (for the few weeks that it lasted, anyway) but was found to be wanting when confronted with the dreaded rain-soaked printed concrete drive....but then again, what footwear are we issued with that isn't? Also, the intricate criss-cross tread pattern has its own nasty little surprise hiding up it's sleeve....which will be revealed the first time you tread in some dog s***e. Need I say more? We were also told told that they're waterproof. Do not believe it.

If comfort's your bag, then they're fine (in my opinion). If you believe that your employer should supply footwear able to withstand the rigours of the job for more than a few weeks, then you may have to look for alternative work.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by Jpro747 »

I've just started wearing mine, first few days on delivery and the balls of my feet hurt like hell after, i'm going to try the alternative sole (slightly thicker) and see if its any better.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by Dorset Plodder »

If they're wearing out after only a few months then we're no further forward than we were with the CAT Trainers. :shock: I though that was meant to be the improvement (Longer Life...Shoes NOT ours).

Personally I don't see the problem of the Business replacing your footwear on a Quarterly basis . With the extra walking seeing a lot of Posties clocking up over 10 miles a day, the shoes are going to clock up at least 600 miles a Quarter. How long do RM think they should last? :arrrghhh

Interested in the comment on different soles.......Do you get different options?

As for the aching feet, I think that's going to be an ongoing problem for a lot of us. I blame a lot of it on so much walking on hard surfaces......it's a relief to find a nice grass verge to walk along for a bit. Unless it's covered in Dog Shite! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by krussel »

Dorset Plodder wrote:As for the aching feet
With the summer approaching and 4 hours + of plodding aching feet are a problem. No real solution but last year I took a spare pair of cotton socks out on delivery and changes them after about 3 hours. Dryer feet helped a bit and was nice to get the shoes off even for a min.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Andy51
Posts: 91
Joined: 08 Jan 2013, 15:45
Gender: Male

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by Andy51 »

Why don't royal mail go for a famous make of trainer or shoes instead of these cheap imitations
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by Dorset Plodder »

To Quote ABBA Andy....Money..Money...Money :Very Happy I expect they buy these trainers in a job lot from China for a Tenner a pair. They're not going to put out too much money to ensure your comfort are they?

It's annoying that they use the H & S stick to make you wear their footwear but are then not willing to provide decent footwear. I agree with you RM need to provide something with very high levels of cushioning and support, especially with the ammont of miles covered on streets and pavements.

I've bought expensive walking insoles and cushioned hiking socks but it still takes it out of your feet. I don't know what problems RM are storing up for the future with a lot of Posties now suffering with foot problems. And you don't get a lot of time to rest them with a relentless workload. :hmmmm
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by greengiant »

The look good, I reckon I will get these as I've recently ordered my basic uniform.

Fingers crossed they will take my orthotics though! :hmmmm
genesis
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 May 2007, 21:04

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by genesis »

Three of us in my office tried them and found them to small , very inflexible and not suitable for deliveries , alright for ordinary workwear but not long walks.its the soles they are definitley tougher , its the sole ,more suitable in garages warehouses ,that kind of thing
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by arnold cheshire »

Andy51 wrote:Why don't royal mail go for a famous make of trainer or shoes instead of these cheap imitations
dr martens and cat ?????????????????????????? cheap imitations ??
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by Brain Fury »

i was recently at an office that had participated in the trial of the trainers and they couldn't wait to be able to order the Anvil Tractions. They loved them. That's the problem with providing uniform (especially footwear) for every person that likes something you'll find somebody else that doesn't.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by centenaryman »

i had these in the trial as well......and I reported back with the probs that after a couple of hours walking my feet were going dead on me....at doors waiting with parcels I stood wiggling my toes LOL to get life in me feet.

I did try gel insoles In them but didn't seem to make any diff,,,,,,funnily enough lads that trialled the other option seem to like them?
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by wabbithunta »

All these manufacturers have got to do is to make them with a more durable rubber compound and not this lightweight crap they use, Cat that is, not sure about this make though but no doubt it'll be a similar compound.
What exactly are these Royal Mail "trials" and what do they consist of? Wear them for a month or so and tell us if you like them.
Should trial these for at least a year in various areas, ie deliveries that have "extreme" conditions for posties and then see what happens.
Worn out after about six months I bet, after doing about 10+ miles per day in them.
The trouble is though that these shoes, and most footwear in general, never ever get to see the amount of daily usage that posties put them through.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
edwardo
Posts: 180
Joined: 23 Sep 2010, 19:01
Gender: Male

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by edwardo »

Are we still allowed to wear the old cat trainers in the meantime our manager stops us wearing them
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear

Post by Hitcher »

As long as it's not wet outside.