ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Life after Royal Mail

Forum for our ex Royal Mail Group colleagues.This is an open forum.
NWpostie

Life after Royal Mail

Post by NWpostie »

As the post says coming off the last thread I was on, one of the question was is the world of work outside RM better or worse ?

Is it ? is there good employers that won't treat you like sh1t and the pay & work rate is reasonable or is it a case of out of the frying pan into the fire for some ?
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.

calpsy
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: Life after Royal Mail

Post by calpsy »

Ive decided to not work after leaving RM . Letting my legs get back to normal and its great .

Know what the BEST thing is ??? At night or even better in the morning watching the rain belt down knowing im not going out in it . :nana

Not rubbing anyones nose in it .............. just hated waking up to the p1$$ing rain and having to go out in it for 4 or 5 hours :arrrghhh
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

NWpostie wrote:As the post says coming off the last thread I was on, one of the question was is the world of work outside RM better or worse ?

Is it ? is there good employers that won't treat you like sh1t and the pay & work rate is reasonable or is it a case of out of the frying pan into the fire for some ?
There's better and there's worse. The trouble is that you don't know until you try it. :sad:
Cedar_Room

Post by Cedar_Room »

Lets be honest here,decent,well paid jobs for folk with no qualifications are at a minimum/non existent,that's why very few people leave RM.

I was 'out there' relatively recently,well 9yrs ago,when I was still considered young + the situation has only got worse.

I'm definitely starting to plan what I'm going to do after RM finishes (as I fear it will) as the thought of being mid-40's & scraping about in a factory on minimum wage fills me with dread.

It's just knowing what to do & which way to turn. :crazy:
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
meweavy

Post by meweavy »

I am seriously gutted about what is happening with royal mail, up until a couple of tears ago, I thought I would have had a job for life.
It has been the besr job I have ever had in terms of pay, hours etc.most of the posties I kniw are decent people who all just want to do a good job for a once decent company.
Now though it has been destroyed.
And im terrified of working elsewhere for minimum wage on zero hours, which is sure to happen sooner or later.
Cedar_Room

Post by Cedar_Room »

meweavy wrote:I am seriously gutted about what is happening with royal mail, up until a couple of tears ago, I thought I would have had a job for life.
It has been the besr job I have ever had in terms of pay, hours etc.most of the posties I kniw are decent people who all just want to do a good job for a once decent company.
Now though it has been destroyed.
And im terrified of working elsewhere for minimum wage on zero hours, which is sure to happen sooner or later.
Before I got on the Post in 2004 I did 3-months in a carpet factory on minimum wage.

I worked 40hrs & I came out with £180 after tax.

Remember working some O/T one Saturday morning & after buying a butty,fuel cost etc,think I gained about a tenner. :crazy:

Although most of the lads were a good laugh the job was hard,had to do it though as a mortgage to pay & mouths to feed.

Some people are going to be in for a real shock if things get as bad at RM as we predict.

meweavy

Post by meweavy »

True, the grass is definitely not greener, im just going to try and play it out and see what happens at royal mail.
If it goes tits up then I will try to get a job as a parcel courier with ups etc, or delivery driver for tesco or sainsburys etc.
Even that is minimum wage and crap hours.
cyrus

Post by cyrus »

Why all the doom and gloom? I know a Line manager, that left to become a ticket inspector and, is now working as a train driver.Another manager, got a very nice pay of and is now working in a supermarket and says he loves it.A few postie's have left and became bin men,care work,mail sorter for a large police station etc...The other day I was getting my door entry buzzer fixed ..The guy was asking me what I do and, what's it like.He couldn't believe me when I told him, you have people with stop watches, breathing down your neck, checking your performance constantly, and criticizing .He never saw his boss and,would just get a phone call to do a job.He looked stress free and was driving a very nice car.His job didn't look like rocket science :Very Happy ...If I get a pay off, I'll be trying a few jobs to find something I like.Even if that means doing agency work.
Cedar_Room

Post by Cedar_Room »

cyrus wrote:Why all the doom and gloom? I know a Line manager, that left to become a ticket inspector and, is now working as a train driver.Another manager, got a very nice pay of and is now working in a supermarket and says he loves it.A few postie's have left and became bin men,care work,mail sorter for a large police station etc...The other day I was getting my door entry buzzer fixed ..The guy was asking me what I do and, what's it like.He couldn't believe me when I told him, you have people with stop watches, breathing down your neck, checking your performance constantly, and criticizing .He never saw his boss and,would just get a phone call to do a job.He looked stress free and was driving a very nice car.His job didn't look like rocket science :Very Happy ...If I get a pay off, I'll be trying a few jobs to find something I like.Even if that means doing agency work.
Fair enough,I'm just playing devils advocate.

You know first hand some success stories of people who have left RM & are now content in their new roles.

I'm just saying that for those of us who have say 20+ years of our working life ahead of us we face very uncertain times.

PS- I know a chap who has recently retired from the bins & he says the job has gone t*** up from the '80s.

It's no longer 'working for the council' but for an agency or franchise,everything is timed,bosses constantly wanting 'more'...all about cutting corners & getting maximum profit.

Pay is poor...T & C's are basically non-existent....I don't really need to go on,do I? :whistle

dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by dvbuk55 »

:hmmmm Definitely food for thought, I'm wondering what openings there would be for an ageing lothario :whistle
mandelsons_toenail

Post by mandelsons_toenail »

dvbuk55 wrote::hmmmm Definitely food for thought, I'm wondering what openings there would be for an ageing lothario :whistle
I was Thinking the same
Cedar_Room

Post by Cedar_Room »

By the looks of it there's going to be a lot of applicants for an industry that doesn't appear to have too many openings,pardon the pun. :whistle
Last edited by Cedar_Room on 03 Oct 2013, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by flaminmoses »

it wont be at the moment but if the economy is picking up :left: then maybe in 2 to 3 years time it will be a job seekers market rather than an employers one.

problem is this government arent exactly helping the situation by cutting and not funding growth.

over the years everything was sort of streamlined by businesses squeezing every last bit of profit out before subprime.

so it could be more like 10 years rather than 3
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by dvbuk55 »

flaminmoses wrote:it wont be at the moment but if the economy is picking up :left: then maybe in 2 to 3 years time it will be a job seekers market rather than an employers one.

problem is this government arent exactly helping the situation by cutting and not funding growth.

over the years everything was sort of streamlined by businesses squeezing every last bit of profit out before subprime.

so it could be more like 10 years rather than 3
:hmmmm 10 years I may be too old for lotharioing by then :cool
Jpro747

Post by Jpro747 »

Wtf is happening with the UK? Temporary contracts, wages going down, prices going up, taxes rising, comapnies being privatised and unions powerless... Are we not slowly turning back to the days of slavery? :evil/mad