ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do you ever pop back?

Forum for our ex Royal Mail Group colleagues.This is an open forum.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: Do you ever pop back?

Post by baldrick »

I left 8 years ago, after 32 years service, and was glad to get out. I don't wish to ever set foot in there again. I wouldn't be allowed in anyway.
I might have a look at the new luxury housing that is supposed to be built on former parking areas if I am ever in the area.

trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by trythat »

I packed it in 4 years ago, when I was 54, just had enough!! We'd saved up enough and worked out we could live on savings until we both hit 60, had 30 years service.
Never regretted it :Very Happy , my other half was waiting on surgery, so she stayed until she received it, and stayed a little longer to save some money for a deposit for our lad when he buys somewhere.

Went back to pick my missus up when she still worked there but she packed it in a year ago. Otherwise no, still see a few people from work as we go motorcycling together.

I was a rep as well, and TBH I really don't miss anyone from work. I even cross the road when I see some of them :Very Happy

I like how life has slowed down, I expect I was the same as most people, wanted everything yesterday :wink: Now I think I must do something and it can be weeks until I get around to it :chuckle
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Straight4ward »

If I was still in the UK I probably would but that's not an option for me now.
I don't bear any animosity towards the job and I enjoyed my years as a postie. Less enamoured with the last D.O. management I worked under but I believe that they have moved on anyway.
By and large, the posties at Dorking (I can now reveal where I worked without any repercussions) were a decent crowd. Best wishes to them.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

S4W how are ya?
Good to hear from you mate, miss your photoshop skills. :left:
What country are you living in now! :shock:
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Straight4ward »

Hi POSTMAN,
I am in Thailand these days. It was always my intention to retire out here but my plans were delayed by a couple of years. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer after quitting the job but thanks to the brilliant Urology department at Epsom Hospital it all got sorted out eventually and here I am. :nana

I've swapped life as a postie for life as a farmer. :crazy: It's been a sharp learning curve and the work's a lot harder and the hours are a lot longer :roll:
I no longer have dog bites to fear but snakes instead. Oh, and I still have to get up early in the morning. :chuckle
Fatboyslim
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Fatboyslim »

Wouldn’t dream of it. I personally avoid the place, and if I’m driving about in the area - I’ll go the long way… passed the place once in 5 years says it all.

Did 35 years. Been gone 5 years. Left at 54 with evr. Took pension at 55. No intention of working again. Missus retired too. Keep in contact with a couple of lads through my motorbikes. I live in a remote rural area so never see anyone. Would always let on if I bumped into an ex colleague. 5% I’d cross the road. 90% of managers I’d definitely cross the road. Tip our postie a tenner every Xmas though.

One or two older lads used to visit our (now closed MC) in the past. Personally I think once you are gone, you’ve gone. That’s it. The place will carry on without you..
celtic1967
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by celtic1967 »

Wouldn't go back to the place. I left two years ago after 16 years to return to the automotive industry. Have a boss now who treats people with respect, such a refreshing change to most of the eejits who were managers at RM. There were a couple of decent ones, but you could see them being ground down over a period of time
Mikeybhoy

Post by Mikeybhoy »

Why would you want to?
The minute you leave your forgotten, it was only a job and you were only a number.
The fact you no longer get the courier and Xmas stamps says everything about what RM thinks of retired staff.
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Straight4ward »

Personally, the 3 things I miss most about the job are The Courier, RMTV and Work Time Learning.

Okay, so I'm a p*ss poor liar.

:chuckle
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fly-catchers »

The things I miss most are the DOMS, lapsing, and arguments over OT payments. And yes I often lie! :whistle
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by baldrick »

baldrick wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 07:56
I left 8 years ago, after 32 years service, and was glad to get out. I don't wish to ever set foot in there again. I wouldn't be allowed in anyway.
I might have a look at the new luxury housing that is supposed to be built on former parking areas if I am ever in the area.
Well I went to the rally and picket on first day of strikes. It was good to meet with former colleagues on the picket line.
I had a walk round the back where some of the new housing has been completed. It didn't look too luxurious from the outside.