ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Life after Royal Mail

Forum for our ex Royal Mail Group colleagues.This is an open forum.
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: Life after Royal Mail

Post by Straight4ward »

Guess at 63 going on 64 the knee issue won't get any better.
I realise this isn't an option for the vast majority but living in a warm climate has made an enormous difference for me. Whereas my knees used to give me grief more often than not, nowadays I get the odd twinge perhaps once every one or two months. I still spend a lot of time on my feet and work just as hard. Perhaps an improved diet has some bearing on it but I'm inclined to think it's the constant warmth. :dance
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by grandypants »

IHR after 20 years now working part time 20hrs in a supermarket shelf stacking on a twilight shift and I love it dont neerd the money just enjoy being out there after a year out
KayGeeExOPG

Post by KayGeeExOPG »

Life after (leaving) Royal Mail?

I accepted a VR package due to a site closure. I made the right choice, I think. But for me, life took a very sharp turning curve, where I learnt just how difficult and prejudiced the 'real jobs market' was/is, back in 2010. In fact, it was, and still is, an underestimated rats maze of obtructions, to just getting an interview! I have found that the organisations and companies who are 'crying out' the hardest for much needed new employees, and the very ones with the worst and hardest recruitment processes, literally shooting themselves in the foot! For any one situation, there will be pro's and con's. For me, poor mental health for some time, some poverty after limited finances ran out, and relocating from a dearly loved home area, not once....but three times! But the pro's, were eventually and slowly discovering a new talent and career (sadly short lived due to Covid pandemic) elsewhere where I decide my own hours and terms, lots of long postponed cycle touring and travelling, not needing to rush about in foul weather to get to work, or tolerate arrogant demands to do something I was already doing, and doing well, and watching my physical health improve once I had stopped prepping and hurling about 11kg mailsacks at a rate of 100 per hour. Oh, and although I was dubbed as being 'among the best workers on my shift', nobody bothered to give me any kind of courtesy farewell send off, like what so many other had had, but it still felt GREAT to walk out of those double doors for one last time, and leave behind me a very chaotic and unhealthy Mail Centre! These days, if I ever need to experience again, a few hundred people all eyeballing each other and watching critically each other over shoulders etc, I don't need Mail Centre work for that, I can recreate that by going to Bristol Temple Meads train station, platform 12! :wink:
The funny thing is, from time to time, my mind reflects on the good events I had during my RM years, and for some bizarre reason, actually misses it all. I suppose that is all part of the aging process!

KG.
guardianangel

Post by guardianangel »

KayGeeExOPG wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 16:09
Life after (leaving) Royal Mail?

I accepted a VR package due to a site closure. I made the right choice, I think. But for me, life took a very sharp turning curve, where I learnt just how difficult and prejudiced the 'real jobs market' was/is, back in 2010. In fact, it was, and still is, an underestimated rats maze of obtructions, to just getting an interview! I have found that the organisations and companies who are 'crying out' the hardest for much needed new employees, and the very ones with the worst and hardest recruitment processes, literally shooting themselves in the foot! For any one situation, there will be pro's and con's. For me, poor mental health for some time, some poverty after limited finances ran out, and relocating from a dearly loved home area, not once....but three times! But the pro's, were eventually and slowly discovering a new talent and career (sadly short lived due to Covid pandemic) elsewhere where I decide my own hours and terms, lots of long postponed cycle touring and travelling, not needing to rush about in foul weather to get to work, or tolerate arrogant demands to do something I was already doing, and doing well, and watching my physical health improve once I had stopped prepping and hurling about 11kg mailsacks at a rate of 100 per hour. Oh, and although I was dubbed as being 'among the best workers on my shift', nobody bothered to give me any kind of courtesy farewell send off, like what so many other had had, but it still felt GREAT to walk out of those double doors for one last time, and leave behind me a very chaotic and unhealthy Mail Centre! These days, if I ever need to experience again, a few hundred people all eyeballing each other and watching critically each other over shoulders etc, I don't need Mail Centre work for that, I can recreate that by going to Bristol Temple Meads train station, platform 12! :wink:
The funny thing is, from time to time, my mind reflects on the good events I had during my RM years, and for some bizarre reason, actually misses it all. I suppose that is all part of the aging process!

KG.
Glad you've found a bit of peace,of all the people i know who have left not one have said they regret it,they have all gone on to find better jobs although a couple have said they have jobs that are similar with useless managers but do not miss those long wet ,cold winter days slogging your guts out with little or no thanks from anyone . Good luck in your next chapter it wont be long before i'll be going through those double doors myself.