ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Life after Royal Mail

Forum for our ex Royal Mail Group colleagues.This is an open forum.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: Life after Royal Mail

Post by dvbuk55 »

Shambles wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Shambles wrote:I was thinking of going into the antique trade...I love old things, and could be quite lucrative :hmmmm
:silenced No modesty forbids............and I may get chucked out for saying nothing :Very Happy
I'm telling Teebs.... :whistle :angel

:chuckle :wave :chuckle
Grass - I'll just say that I thought you were 18 :chuckle :chuckle

tiggle

Post by tiggle »

Cedar_Room wrote:Lets be honest here,decent,well paid jobs for folk with no qualifications are at a minimum/non existent,that's why very few people leave RM.

I was 'out there' relatively recently,well 9yrs ago,when I was still considered young + the situation has only got worse.

I'm definitely starting to plan what I'm going to do after RM finishes (as I fear it will) as the thought of being mid-40's & scraping about in a factory on minimum wage fills me with dread.

It's just knowing what to do & which way to turn. :crazy:

have you thought about getting into buy to let, I reckon in about 3 years i'll be getting enough to manage if this job goes. just scrape enough together to buy your first one or go in with a friend,when you've done it up, take out a buy to let mortgage, which should get your money out and buy another, the rent more than covers the mortgage and your on your way. its not all plain sailing,but is anything
Shambles
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by Shambles »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Shambles wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Shambles wrote:I was thinking of going into the antique trade...I love old things, and could be quite lucrative :hmmmm
:silenced No modesty forbids............and I may get chucked out for saying nothing :Very Happy

:funneh 18 ......those were the days :angel :whistle
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by cloherty1976 »

tiggle wrote:
Cedar_Room wrote:Lets be honest here,decent,well paid jobs for folk with no qualifications are at a minimum/non existent,that's why very few people leave RM.

I was 'out there' relatively recently,well 9yrs ago,when I was still considered young + the situation has only got worse.

I'm definitely starting to plan what I'm going to do after RM finishes (as I fear it will) as the thought of being mid-40's & scraping about in a factory on minimum wage fills me with dread.

It's just knowing what to do & which way to turn. :crazy:

have you thought about getting into buy to let, I reckon in about 3 years i'll be getting enough to manage if this job goes. just scrape enough together to buy your first one or go in with a friend,when you've done it up, take out a buy to let mortgage, which should get your money out and buy another, the rent more than covers the mortgage and your on your way. its not all plain sailing,but is anything
Good idea as it's what I have done but remember the market is little over priced and if it does go down you can get stuck. Been there and don't want that again. Also remember this is taxable and can take you into the 40% too,another bad thing is they take your child benefit away too if your over the £60000+ which seems a lot of money but can easily be done if you have 2 or 3 properties and your wages too. This is my way forward and praise any one who tries to better themself..
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by dvbuk55 »

Shambles wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Shambles wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:

:funneh 18 ......those were the days :angel :whistle
I can imagine....well I think it's imagination :chuckle it's too far back for me to be a memory :sad:
Shambles
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by Shambles »

dvbuk55 wrote:
I can imagine....well I think it's imagination :chuckle it's too far back for me to be a memory :sad:
:Boo hoo! :left: 60 is the new 40, so your life hasn't even began yet :wink:
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lincox »

Well Shambles,
There was me thinking I was retiring in 18 month and there,s you letting me down telling me I am only 40. How am I going to crawl round that walk another 25 years with these old crippled up legs. Come on, play the white man.
Shambles
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by Shambles »

Lincox wrote:Well Shambles,
There was me thinking I was retiring in 18 month and there,s you letting me down telling me I am only 40. How am I going to crawl round that walk another 25 years with these old crippled up legs. Come on, play the white man.
:chuckle :Applause :chuckle
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
Pinky 1

Post by Pinky 1 »

Shambles wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
:chuckle Ol' dvb aint gonna see 60 again :chuckle
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by dvbuk55 »

Pinky 1 wrote:
Shambles wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
:chuckle Ol' dvb aint gonna see 60 again :chuckle
Ol' dvb aint gonna see 66 again, just a few weeks to my 67th and I'm like a Greek God - 67 is the new 37............ :whistle
Shambles
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by Shambles »

:chuckle Your just a pup 67 = 47 :left: :chuckle
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by dvbuk55 »

Shambles wrote::chuckle Your just a pup 67 = 47 :left: :chuckle
I feel 47 and still feel like a young woman.............they're not easy to come by these days :chuckle :chuckle
music4essex

Post by music4essex »

[quote] Ol' dvb aint gonna see 66 again, just a few weeks to my 67th and I'm like a Greek God - 67 is the new 37............
dvbuk55

:Applause :Applause :Applause You are all bringing a smile to my face

Essex mum
calpsy
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by calpsy »

Ive been away for 5 or 6 years now ( cant be bothered to actually look up my leaving date :cool )

Reading through some of the replies here made me laugh. The one I do agree with 100% is waking up to the rain and knowing im gonna be out walking up to 5 hours in it. I do have a wee chuckle knowing some poor sods HAVE to.

So I took a year off after leaving RM after getting a £14k pay off. Then went to work at ARGOS as a driver. What a great job that was. Just left that job last month to retire for good now ( im 51 ). Argos are always looking for drivers and although its probably like RM in the case of some places are bad to work at cos of managers or other workers I have to say my place was amazing to work at up until the last 6 months when we changed location and most of us hated it. Decided to leave on good terms with the other drivers and managers. I would tell anyone to give it a go as I did love it.
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fly-catchers »

How are your knees now Calpsy?
Been out of RM since last November. But my knees are just as painful as when I was on trolley delivery. My feet issues have calmed down however. Guess at 63 going on 64 the knee issue won't get any better. Thanks RM!