ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail address rumours of mass Covid-19 outbreak at sorting centres

Coronavirus news articles only.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Royal Mail address rumours of mass Covid-19 outbreak at sorting centres

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/ ... s-19590234

There has been speculation on social media

Royal Mail have addressed online rumours of a mass Covid-19 outbreak at two of their Midlands sorting centres and one centre in Northampton.

Posts online have claimed of a "huge outbreak" and that "40-50 employees gone into isolation" at sorting centres in Coventry, Rugby and Daventry.

Concerns have been spreading online following the rumours that there may be traces of Covid-19 on post transported by Royal Mail although there is no evidence this is a risk.

CoventryLive contacted Royal Mail to see if the rumours of the outbreaks were correct.

They have said this information is false and that only a small number of people at each of the centres have tested positive. An exact number was not provided by the service.

A spokesman said:“A small number of staff have tested positive for coronavirus at each of these offices. We wish them a speedy recovery.

"Throughout this crisis, every decision we make puts the health of our people and customers first. We have put in place a range of preventive measures to protect both our customers and our colleagues. We were the first UK company to put in place social-distancing measures in relation to parcel delivery. We pioneered contact-free delivery.

"We are temporarily not handing over our hand-held devices to customers to capture signatures. As well as encouraging good hand hygiene, standard ways of working have been revised to ensure that colleagues maintain appropriate social distancing at all times.

"All staff have been briefed about the social distancing measures jointly agreed by local management and the CWU. This has been supplemented with visible reminders such as posters and one-way floor markings”.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

ConeHater
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Royal Mail address rumours of mass Covid-19 outbreak at sorting centres

Post by ConeHater »

I’d be keen to learn of the actual numbers of colleagues that have been affected. All I know that 5 deaths of workers at NDC is 5 too many, and 5 that probably could have been avoided. It can’t be said that they contracted the virus there, but when you see the lack of correctly-worn masks and cleaning regime it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case.
nutcracker
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Royal Mail address rumours of mass Covid-19 outbreak at sorting centres

Post by nutcracker »

ConeHater wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 20:56
I’d be keen to learn of the actual numbers of colleagues that have been affected. All I know that 5 deaths of workers at NDC is 5 too many, and 5 that probably could have been avoided. It can’t be said that they contracted the virus there, but when you see the lack of correctly-worn masks and cleaning regime it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case.
5 in one distribution centre? That’s awful! But not surprising, responses from colleagues, management and the union have all been shocking.

By May 2020 I made it 37 postmen in England & Wales to have died according to ONS data. Guess by now it’s double to treble that figure by now.

Which are pretty high figures considering most deaths in the general population are over 65.

Of course this does not account for the hospitalisations & long covid. Plus the relatives of colleagues affected. Or indeed the community transmission indirectly caused by our sh***y working practices...
Beanyjazz wrote:
23 Nov 2023, 08:35
'Look at me Mummy, I made £25, and it only cost me 1 knee'. Get a life.