ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas presents face 'huge delays' as London delivery office hit by Covid outbreak

Coronavirus news articles only.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Christmas presents face 'huge delays' as London delivery office hit by Covid outbreak

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-lo ... s-22469701

Londoners may have to wait longer for gifts due to post staff shortages

South East Londoners might not receive their Christmas presents on time due to a Covid outbreak at a Royal Mail depot.

Residents of Forest Hill and Sydenham may have to wait until after December 25 to open their gifts because of the epidemic at Royal Mail’s Forest Hill Delivery Office.

A total of 15 posties at the depot have been off sick with the virus or isolating, according to staff.

Staff say the outbreak has left just six posties fit to deliver piles of Christmas cards and gifts.

Staff shortages have also caused delays in sorting parcels arriving at the depot.

Writing on Facebook, an employee who claimed to work in the Forest Hill Delivery Office, told local residents that their post would probably be delayed due to a Covid outbreak at the depot.

They said that a wave of the virus that had spread through staff at the depot had caused the normal number of 21 posties to drop down to just six.

According to the employee, staff were slowly returning to work after recovering or finishing their period of isolation and presents would be with local people at some point over the Christmas period.

Local residents said they wondered where their post had disappeared to. One commented: “I have been waiting for something for past week so guess that explains it.”

Another said: “It must be hard when things like this come up. I did wonder last week what was happening. But I know it’s a situation that can’t be helped and you are all really appreciated.”

Other people wished the employees struck down by Covid a speedy recovery.

One said: “Thank you for your hard work! It must be hard knowing that your colleagues are so sick.

“Hopefully everyone is recovering well and will be back at work soon. Health is more important than any delivery.”

Another said: “Safety at work must come first. The health of our posties is more important. Our parcels and letters can wait.”

A Royal Mail spokesperson said: “In the Forest Hill area, we are experiencing delays to service due to significant Covid-related and other sickness absences.

“We apologise to customers for any inconvenience they may have experienced. We are working hard to get our levels of service back to normal as soon as possible.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."