ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Covid testing: Amazon to deliver lateral flow kits after government website overwhelmed by demand

Coronavirus news articles only.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Covid testing: Amazon to deliver lateral flow kits after government website overwhelmed by demand

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/covid-t ... ge-1350717

Thousands of people were unable to order Covid home testing kits on Monday despite new daily testing rules coming into force on Tuesday

Britain on Monday launched an ambitious Covid booster shot programme to combat what Prime Minister Boris Johnson says is a looming "tidal wave" of Omicron infections. London sounded the alarm on Sunday by raising the national Covid Alert Level because of high levels and rising rates of transmission of the virus mutation.

Britons are braced for a scramble to access Covid tests as new daily testing rules come into force for contacts of positive cases.

Officials insisted that there is no shortage of the lateral flow kits, despite thousands of users being told that none were available on the Government’s website throughout Monday.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said the Government has enough stock to meet demand, but a lack of postal slots had forced it to pause giving out tests in the face of overwhelming demand.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid told MPs that “new arrangements” had been reached with companies, including Amazon, to ensure tests get delivered.

It comes as the online retail giant is also poised to start selling low-cost PCR tests to travellers. It is understood that the Amazon service could be added to the government’s approved list of providers imminently.

Mr Javid said: “There is no shortage of actual tests that are held by UKHSA. There are tens of millions of tests… the issue, the limiting factor because of the hugely increased demand… is the ability to deliver the tests and having enough capability to deliver the tests because the current arrangements with Royal Mail alone are not enough.”

He said a record number of tests would be delivered each day, and the number of “access points” is being increased including more through local pharmacies.

Boots, which provides lateral flow testing kits at 2,100 pharmacies around the UK, admitted that it was facing a shortage in some areas.

A spokeswoman told i that while overall stock levels remained good, there is “a small number of stores that are experiencing temporary shortages due to higher demand”.

Rules kick in from Tuesday that allow double-jabbed people identified as a contact of someone with Covid-19 in England to take a daily rapid test for seven days, in place of self-isolation.

Meanwhile new regulations, expected to be voted through the Commons this week, will see those who are not vaccinated required to show proof of a negative test result to access large indoor venues, such as nightclubs.

The plan would extend the Covid passport rules already in place for Scotland and Wales.

A UKHSA spokesperson said: “Everyone who needs a lateral flow test can collect test kits – either at their local pharmacy, some community sites and some schools and colleges.

“Due to exceptionally high demand, ordering lateral flow tests on gov.uk has been temporarily suspended to fulfil existing orders.”

A Downing Street spokesman said: “There is no shortage of lateral flow tests. We have more than sufficient supply. What we are seeing is, because of the heightened demand today, those available to be posted out today, those slots have been filled already.”

On Monday the Prime Minister urged people to visit shops and pharmacies if unable to book a delivery from the gov.uk website.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Covid testing: Amazon to deliver lateral flow kits after government website overwhelmed by demand

Post by SpacePhoenix »

I wonder how many will end up being delivered by RM in the end
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Covid testing: Amazon to deliver lateral flow kits after government website overwhelmed by demand

Post by POSTMAN »

I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Ones for rural areas will probably end up being done by RM. I'd be surprised if Amazon have got the capacity without off-loading them or some other stuff onto RM