ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

CWU.ORG : Mask Wearing Cuts The Risk of Catching Covid-19 By Up To 225 Times

Coronavirus news articles only.This is an open forum.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

CWU.ORG : Mask Wearing Cuts The Risk of Catching Covid-19 By Up To 225 Times

Post by rogersh »

https://www.cwu.org/news/facemasks-can- ... l-studies/

Research Report Concludes That Face Mask Wearing ‘Cuts The Risk of Catching Covid-19 By Up To 225 Times and is more Effective Than Social Distancing’

In a recently published research report German and US researchers found that wearing a face mask can lower the risk of catching Covid-19 by up to 225 times, compared to solely relying on a three-metre social distancing rule. This is the latest report to conclude that wearing a face covering offers ‘enormously high’ protection.’

In a previous study published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ), an international team of researchers found face mask wearing cut Covid-19 transmission by 53 per cent and social distancing reduced the virus spread by 25 per cent. The academic paper comes after a review of six real-world studies on masks, concluding that widespread face mask use can cut Covid infection rates.

The latest research paper, published in the journal PNAS, measured the size and amount of respiratory particles that exhaled with various masks on.

It found a 90 per cent chance of catching Covid-19 if a person stands across from an infected person for five minutes and neither wear a mask, even with a gap of three metres in place.

However, it would take 30 minutes for the risk to be that high if someone was to wear a face mask, even if it does not fit ‘perfectly’ on the face.

Experts from the Universities of Göttingen and Cornell who did the study said their finding “makes face masks more important than social distancing”.

This latest research paper, published in the journal PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences), measured the size and amount of respiratory particles that come out of people’s mouths with various masks on.

Scientists calculated the risk of a person inhaling respiratory particles from various distances and lengths of exposure.

The scientific researchers and authors of the latest study found that the risk of infection without wearing masks is enormously high after only a few minutes, even at a distance of three metres, if the infected persons have the high viral load of the Covid-19 virus.

Masks were last week made compulsory in England again on public transport, shops and other indoor settings in response to the new highly infectious Omicronvariant, which was first identified in South Africa.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) state that face coverings can reduce the risk against the spread of infection because they cover the nose and mouth, reducing the spread of droplets and aerosols carrying Coronavirus (COVID-19). This limits the amount of the virus being released when people talk and breathe.

Ventilation is also important! Someone who has Coronavirus breathes out small particles (aerosols) of the virus. Adequate ventilation reduces how much virus is in the air, so it reduces the risk of breathing in the virus. In ‘stuffy’ poorly ventilated rooms the amount of virus in the air can build up, increasing the risk of spreading Covid-19, especially if there are lots of people in a crowded room. Good ventilation helps prevent the spread of Covid-19 by introducing fresh air into indoor spaces while removing stale air. Letting fresh air into indoor spaces can help remove air that contains virus particles and help prevent the spread of the virus.

Finally, hand washing! – To prevent the spread of Covid-19, people should also regularly wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use a hand sanitizer when they can’t use soap and water. Clean hands BEFORE and AFTER: Touching eyes, nose, or mouth, entering and leaving a public place, touching items or surfaces that are frequently touched by other people, such as doors, handles, tables, tools, equipment, trolleys etc.

Yours sincerely

Dave Joyce
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer

For further information, please see LTBs 545/21, 517/21 & 532/21

rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Mask Wearing ‘Cuts The Risk of Catching Covid-19 By Up To 225 Times

Post by rogersh »

But it will only "cut the risk" if mask compliance is enforced by management.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by aiden01 »

rogersh wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 22:35
So turn it around why wait on management to enforce it ffs i'm sure most of us are grown adults just wear a mask.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by rogersh »

aiden01 wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 23:02
rogersh wrote:
So turn it around why wait on management to enforce it ffs i'm sure most of us are grown adults just wear a mask.
Aiden, The problem with the early shift at my RDC is that compliance is worse than in March. People who are "exempt" are being used as an excuse for some colleagues to say "if they are not wearing masks then i'm not!".. (grown adults?). The managers are not enforcing mask wearing because three out of four do not wear a mask & one of those (exempt) has been off work (covid related) for over a week.

This is an edited response I received from Dave Joyce, in March, following a direct enquiry to establish if I was correct in approaching colleagues/Agency.

"I see nothing wrong with anyone reminding a work colleague to wear their ‘Mandatory’ Face Mask correctly at SWDC or elsewhere for that matter.
However, rather than get involved in any conflict I suggest that the matter is dealt with by the SWDC Management who are responsible for ensuring ‘compliance’ with mandatory ‘Covid-Secure’ Safety standards and your senior CWU Health and Safety Reps."
wookie

Re: CWU.ORG : Mask Wearing Cuts The Risk of Catching Covid-19 By Up To 225 Times

Post by wookie »

Someone tell the managers, they are not enforcing it. If someone refuses they should be showing a Doctors note. In every office should be a health & safety certificate signed by the manager.

Why not go one further, maybe Royal Mail should do a survey asking how your Managers have performed during the Pandemic?
clashcityrocker

Re: CWU.ORG : Mask Wearing Cuts The Risk of Catching Covid-19 By Up To 225 Times

Post by clashcityrocker »

Royal Mail managers are useless. The pandemic has only further revealed the depths of their incompetence.

Generally speaking the English are very poorly educated. Genuine cases aside, not wearing a mask is seen as an example of your anti-establishment credentials instead of revealing what a f***ing bellend you are.
Why not phone up Robin Hood
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by aiden01 »

rogersh wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 18:22
aiden01 wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 23:02
rogersh wrote:
Aiden, The problem with the early shift at my RDC is that compliance is worse than in March. People who are "exempt" are being used as an excuse for some colleagues to say "if they are not wearing masks then i'm not!".. (grown adults?). The managers are not enforcing mask wearing because three out of four do not wear a mask & one of those (exempt) has been off work (covid related) for over a week.

This is an edited response I received from Dave Joyce, in March, following a direct enquiry to establish if I was correct in approaching colleagues/Agency.

"I see nothing wrong with anyone reminding a work colleague to wear their ‘Mandatory’ Face Mask correctly at SWDC or elsewhere for that matter.
However, rather than get involved in any conflict I suggest that the matter is dealt with by the SWDC Management who are responsible for ensuring ‘compliance’ with mandatory ‘Covid-Secure’ Safety standards and your senior CWU Health and Safety Reps."
Mc i work in across the 3 shifts very few wearing them no doubt that is where i got it. as for cwu reps trying to enforce anything i will not even go there. tried to at very start of pandemic when i spoke with area hs rep an he i kid you not went an got a manager to speak with me. :arrrghhh
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

wookie wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 18:48
If someone refuses they should be showing a Doctors note.
Doctors aren't issuing exemption notes at all, they never have done
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

wookie wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 18:48
If someone refuses they should be showing a Doctors note.
If you already have a pre existing condition that RM have been advised of you don't need to prove anything.
You only need to provide proof if you all of a sudden have a disability.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.