ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Paisley post taking up to seven days to reach letterboxes as "crisis" hits sorting office

Coronavirus news articles only.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Paisley post taking up to seven days to reach letterboxes as "crisis" hits sorting office

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-a ... n-25143030

MP now intervenes in bid to get answers on staff absences which are causing the service huge problems

Paisley’s mail delivery is in chaos, with some letters taking up to a week to hit letterboxes.

On some days all rounds in the town have been completely cancelled.

Mountains of mail is now building up at the main sorting centre in Underwood Road.

Royal Mail bosses have admitted staffing numbers have been ravaged by covid and self-isolating.

Now the town’s MP Mhairi Black has intervened in a bid to find out exactly what is going on.

Tens of thousands of letters should be hitting doormats every day.

Mhairi Black said: “I have been made aware that Royal Mail are having difficulties in delivering mail in a timely manner to Paisley residents.

“I have written to Royal Mail highlighting this backlog of mail and requesting further information on the issue.

The Communication Workers Union, which represents many of the Paisley staff, failed to comment on the issue.

One woman in Castle Gait in the town confirmed it had taken seven days for them to get their mail.

She said: "We have tried several times to call Royal Mail and held for various long periods along with our neighbour. Eventually got through today and was told that Paisley Sorting Office was in a state of emergency and that our area has had no mail delivered in over a week due to absences.

" My husband asked if we could collect our mail from the sorting office and was told this would not be possible as the mail would not be sorted."

One Paisley dad said: “I have been waiting for days for important insurance documents and need them now.

“It’s infuriating so I went down with proof of identify and address to the sorting office and managed to pick the letter up myself.

“The guy there said they were struggling to cope.

“I just wonder how some businesses in the town are being impacted.”

Another source said: “Royal Mail quite simply needs to increase its workforce.

“There has been a huge surge in parcels and this will continue. The men and woman there already are just expected to cope.

“It seems some people in Paisley have been waiting a week for mail.”

Royal Mail would not say how many staff have coronavirus, how many are isolating as a precaution or whether there are other issues within the Underwood Road complex.

But they admitted the lack of workers currently means that on up to three days a week, there may be no deliveries at all.

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: “The health and safety of our colleagues and our customers is our number one priority.

“Paisley Delivery Office is currently experiencing higher than usual covid related absences.

“We aim to deliver to all addresses we have mail for, six days a week.

“If resourcing issues, associated self-isolation and safety measures prevent this, we’ll deliver at least every other day.

“It’s only in extreme cases – where offices are severely affected by absence levels - that this may not be possible”.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

ted_e_bear

Re: Paisley post taking up to seven days to reach letterboxes as "crisis" hits sorting office

Post by ted_e_bear »

"Royal Mail would not say how many staff have coronavirus"
frankieboy

Re: Paisley post taking up to seven days to reach letterboxes as "crisis" hits sorting office

Post by frankieboy »

Why don't people ask the posties what's going on and why and then they will get the truth.
hans solo

Post by hans solo »

It’s their revision that’s the prob
Rm lying about Covid as an excuse