ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Residents in Altrincham say they haven't received any mail in over three weeks

Coronavirus news articles only.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Residents in Altrincham say they haven't received any mail in over three weeks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... d-21592704

"Everyone’s starting to get really irate about it now"

Residents in Altrincham say they have been left without post for almost a month.

Vicky Armstrong, who lives near Railway Street, said she and her neighbours have not received any mail for more than three and a half weeks.

Last month, Vicky’s husband celebrated his birthday but the usual influx of birthday cards through their postbox never appeared.

“I don’t really pay too much attention to the letters we get because it’s usually junk mail,” Vicky tells the M.E.N.

“But I bought a storage thing for letters in August and it dawned on me that I hadn’t actually had anything to put in it.

“Then when it was my husband’s birthday a few weeks ago, he received no cards through the mail. His parents had sent something through and it was never delivered.

"We thought it was a bit odd but didn't really think too much into it.”

At the same time, the couple started to hear from neighbours about missed letters for hospital appointments and missing paychecks.

“I have a neighbour who said they have missed vital appointments at the hospital because they’ve not received any letters informing them about it,” Vicky explains.

“Then when it was my husband’s birthday a few weeks ago, he received no cards through the mail. His parents had sent something through and it was never delivered.

"We thought it was a bit odd but didn't really think too much into it.”

At the same time, the couple started to hear from neighbours about missed letters for hospital appointments and missing paychecks.

“I have a neighbour who said they have missed vital appointments at the hospital because they’ve not received any letters informing them about it,” Vicky explains.

“Other neighbours are waiting on pay cheques and some have ordered things online that have never arrived.

"They've complained to the companies they bought from, who sent out replacements and they still haven't received those.”

Vicky said she visited the Royal Mail sorting office on Welman Way to find out what the holdup was and was told there had been a ‘disrupted service’.

See the nearest Covid vaccine centre near you or visit InYourArea for all the Covid vaccine latest

“The person there said there was a massive problem with a backlog of post that hasn’t been delivered,” she explained.

“It’s really odd and it’s just horrendous.

“I live on a street where there’s a few elderly people and sometimes it’s the only way they can keep in contact with people.

“It could have been we’ve not had it right for a while and I'm only just realising that now.”

Vicky says that she knows that it’s not just her area that has been affected with other friends around Altrincham and Trafford having similar problems.

Vicky added: "Everyone’s starting to get really irate about it now."

She says she’s also heard of difficulties in further afield areas like Wimbledon too.

Some Trafford residents have even now reached out to Sir Graham Brady, MP for Altrincham and Sale West, in a bid to help them.

Sir Graham told the M.E.N: “I am aware that several constituents have recently had issues with their deliveries in Altrincham and I am in close contact with the Royal Mail team to ascertain what can be done to alleviate these issues.

“A reliable post service is vital for members of the public and local businesses alike. Such long gaps in deliveries are completely unacceptable.

“If anyone encounters further problems, then please get in touch with my office so that I can keep you updated of developments."

Royal Mail has apologised for the delays which it says has been down to resourcing issues due to a number of ‘COVID related absences’.

A Royal Mail Spokesperson said: “The health and safety of our colleagues and our customers is our number one priority.

“In a limited number of areas, we are experiencing some disruption to service due to COVID related absences.

“We aim to deliver to all addresses we have mail for, six days a week.

“If resourcing issues, associated self-isolation and safety measures prevent this, we’ll look to deliver at least every other day.

“We apologise to customers in the Altrincham area for any inconvenience if they are experiencing delays.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

Pidleypoo

Re: Residents in Altrincham say they haven't received any mail in over three weeks

Post by Pidleypoo »

Yeah it’s got absolutely nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with the structural revision they’ve had.

Too many deliveries taken out and loads failing every day to the point where you’re only taking one duty out between 2 of you and maybe get the tracked done as well.

You’ve never seen such a poor revision planned and implemented.

Hardly any procedure has been followed correctly.

Loops are absolutely massive and the bag weights way too heavy.

Staff morale at an all time low too.

And the union absolutely nowhere to be seen either.