ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Eastbourne woman 'devastated' after missing funeral due to mail delay

Coronavirus news articles only.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Eastbourne woman 'devastated' after missing funeral due to mail delay

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news ... ay-3373775

An Eastbourne woman was left ‘devastated’ after discovering she had missed her friend’s funeral due to a delay in mail.

Christine Smith of Albion Road said she received an invitation to a friend’s funeral the day after it took place.

Mrs Smith said, “I didn’t get the information about the funeral until after. It was really distressing.

“I was absolutely devastated. It is not just her, it is her family as well. I couldn’t give my condolences.”

Along with being unable to attend the funeral, Mrs Smith’s husband almost missed a hospital appointment as the letter only arrived the day before – 13 days after the letter was addressed.

She said, “We only got the letter the day before. There must be a number of appointments being missed.

“It must cost the NHS money and staff. I think it is terrible.”

Emma Boyes of Bourne Street also experienced the delay in deliveries and said it has potentially cost her money.

Ms Boyes said her pet insurance offers were due to arrive in the mail so she could decide whether she wanted to renew.

The Eastbourne woman explained that she usually calls her insurer to get the price down before agreeing – but this year the statement did not arrive until after the automatic renewal date.

She said, “I probably would have renewed it anyway but it would have been nice to see it and not if I had wanted to.”

Ms Boyes, like Mrs Smith, raised concerns over hospital appointments that could be missed.

She said, “I am really concerned that people will be called into appointments with short notice and not know anything.

“I haven’t had a letter for an appointment. I still do not know the time and date.

“I do need to arrange transport so I do really need to know when it is.”

Ms Boyes said she also had a delay in medication, which was delivered a week late.

In response to the mail delays, she said, “Just sort it out please and stop pretending it is not an issue.”

Mrs Smith added, “They should see that they are having problems without us having to complain.

“We should be getting mail at least once a week.

“It is frustrating to say the least.”

A Royal Mail spokesperson said, “The health and safety of our colleagues and our customers is our number one priority.

“In a limited number of areas, we are experiencing some disruption to service due to covid-related absences.

“We aim to deliver to all addresses we have mail for, six days a week. If resourcing issues, associated self-isolation and safety measures prevent this, we’ll deliver at least every other day.

“It’s only in extreme cases – where offices are severely affected by absence levels - that this may not be possible”.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

Decky Boy

Re: Eastbourne woman 'devastated' after missing funeral due to mail delay

Post by Decky Boy »

Firstly can I say...it is never good missing a loved one's funeral...but to blame Royal Mail for such a thing...is rather incredible ?

"Christine Smith of Albion Road said she received an invitation to a friend’s funeral the day after it took place." ... is it just me... Regretably I've had to attend numerous funerals over the years (more and more as I get older ! ) ...and never once have I been invited ! ! !

Usually word of mouth, social media and the local newspaper are the sources that alert one to this inevitable life event !

Death will come to us all sooner or later. For some religions, passing just means moving onto a different life or place. It can hurt, especially close individuals left behind and I sympathise to some extent with Ms Smith in missing the formal send off. It is never too late to send condolences and I suggest you do so now !

Blaming your postie for all this just doesn't cut the mustard with me !
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

Emails and texts followed by post is usually the best way.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
ssdd

Post by ssdd »

Believe it or not, there are actually some people in this day and age who don't use social media, email or texts! I know, incredible isn't it! An elderly person in a different town may not have any other viable way to receive such information. And perhaps the sender doesn't have the recipients phone number, if they even have a land line!
The real disgrace is that, even with Covid related absences or delays, Mrs Wilson will get her Tracked parcel with a nice new pair of shoes, whilst poor Mrs Smith doesn't get the important information that she needed in time.:so there
Last edited by ssdd on 08 Sep 2021, 19:23, edited 2 times in total.
scoobydo79

Post by scoobydo79 »

I’m sure the blame doesn’t rest entirely on Royal Mail on this.I Myself have received a hospital letter.Posted late and delivered 2 days before the appointment. No fault of R.M.
jackthecube

Post by jackthecube »

Judging by the amount of Christmas cards we kill off every year, for people that are long dead, this is hardly surprising.
ssdd

Post by ssdd »

scoobydo79 wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 19:17
I’m sure the blame doesn’t rest entirely on Royal Mail on this.I Myself have received a hospital letter.Posted late and delivered 2 days before the appointment. No fault of R.M.
Of course the NHS is also being affected by delays, but with RM prioritising certain items, it's having an impact on other items, namely letters.
scoobydo79

Post by scoobydo79 »

ssdd wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 19:26
scoobydo79 wrote:
Of course the NHS is also being affected by delays, but with RM prioritising certain items, it's having an impact on other items, namely letters.
Absolutely. I know what hospital appointment letters look like and Il always try and get them delivered when I see them. The envelope is very distinctive in My area.
ssdd

Post by ssdd »

scoobydo79 wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 17:27
ssdd wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 19:26
scoobydo79 wrote:
Absolutely. I know what hospital appointment letters look like and Il always try and get them delivered when I see them. The envelope is very distinctive in My area.
Are you doing that off you're own back though, or are you being instructed by a manager to prioritize them?
scoobydo79

Post by scoobydo79 »

If I spot one in the frame and it’s say near where I’m going with a tracked , maybe a short path, where I park for a break that kind of thing.