ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Shaun Davis : Royal Mail-Mental Health and covid

Coronavirus news articles only.This is an open forum.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Shaun Davis : Royal Mail-Mental Health and covid

Post by POSTMAN »

https://www.iod.com/news/news/articles/ ... tal-health

Shaun Davis is Global Director of Compliance & Sustainability (Safety, Health, Wellbeing, Corporate Security and Regulatory Compliance) at Royal Mail and co-author of ‘Positive male mind’. He believes that mental health support should be integrated into an organisation’s health and safety policy.

“A positive approach to the mental health of your workers should be part of any responsible business. You can’t say you’re a sustainable, ethical organisation if you’re not looking after your people.

At Royal Mail, we’ve been committed to mental health for many years and we recognise the link between positive mental, physical and financial health. We have measures in place to support our staff mental health and wellbeing, so when Covid-19 struck, we were able to respond from a position of knowledge.

We knew that communications would be key to reassuring people during such uncertain times so we ensured our messages and our methods of communication were appropriate to all our different audiences in terms of age groups, demographics and cultures. It was time to be responsive and creative and to tailor our approach to the needs of employees, so we pivoted to more mobile communications like texts, WhatsApp and phone calls as well as using more traditional internal comms tools like intranet and email. We immediately set up a Coronavirus Helpline for staff, produced a Q&A document for managers to talk to employees about the situation and arranged access to essential information from personal technology.

The most common mental health challenge experienced by our staff was anxiety, largely created by the uncertainty and the sense of isolation caused by the lockdown. Without their usual access to friends, family and their colleagues, staff felt unanchored. Managers were very worried about keeping their staff safe, but had the benefit of working from home, while delivery people had difference concerns about being out on the ‘frontline’, particularly during the first wave of the pandemic.

Although we couldn’t provide answers to this uncertainly, we could call it out and we did our best to inform and reassure people with information which was evidence-based and which didn’t allow myths to take hold.

I think the pandemic has broken down the barriers between home life and work life and showed us that you don’t come to work as one person and go home as someone else. As a consequence, we are much less likely to see someone just as their job title; we see each other for who we really are and this can strengthen relationships and diffuse tensions.

Moving forward, I would like to see mental health become far more integrated into an organisation’s health and safety programme and included at all stages of decision making, such as recruitment, appraisals and career development. The Institute of Directors has a very loud voice which it can use to set the agenda around mental health in business. It would be good to see the IoD show the way by integrating mental health into existing IoD Director training and development programmes, rather treating mental health as a separate subject.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.

Pidleypoo

Re: Shaun Davis : Royal Mail-Mental Health and covid

Post by Pidleypoo »

They’re really taking the Micheal now aren’t they.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

Hey Shaun

How about telling Super Si that suggesting that Mental Health issues such as stress can be dealt with by phoning a helpline is both extremely ignorant of the issues, and insulting to those who suffer from it. One level short of "pull yourself together", shameful.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Speedmeister

Post by Speedmeister »

It's not just covid causing me anxiety and stress it's the constant pressure to do more - e.g. absorption, a rural delivery with an additional 166 houses on it - nothing's been done to make it achievable - the post person just has to absorb all this extra work. What a load of old bollocks these clowns come out with.
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
noggin1969

Post by noggin1969 »

l
Last edited by noggin1969 on 01 Feb 2024, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Haditup

Post by Haditup »

noggin1969 wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 22:37
Seems strange he's so caring, they usually can't wait to shove you out the door if you have any issues. The cheaper, the better for RM.
Shaun is out of the door he handed his notice in last week!

What a sorry state of affair when a Mental Health Advocate Quits.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

From a DOM on Workplace, not fake, an actual DOM!...

It’s amazing when you mention issues with mental health. You get all sorts of messages from higher management and then nothing. It’s as though they do their bit to be seen as doing what’s required but no one will take up the baton to check up. Out of sight out of mind. I was bullied out of my role and let’s be honest no one cares or wants to deal with the bully as he is senior . Talk is cheap actions speak louder so at the mo it’s silent
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
ssdd

Post by ssdd »

Pretty much what I was thinking about that article above. It smacks of buzzwords and corporate jargon, designed to look good on paper, and to appeal to the leaders of our industries - "we pivoted".
Bye Shaun. :wave I'm sure you'll be a great success in your new role.
The Goats Toe

Post by The Goats Toe »

Where can 1 view this Mental Health and Wellbeing Policy?
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

The Goats Toe wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 20:00
Where can 1 view this Mental Health and Wellbeing Policy?
https://www.myroyalmail.com/support
I Wrote
My BFF Clash