not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Van sharing when 1 metre?

26 Jun 2020, 19:50

I've heard talk of van sharing when the relaxing of the 2 metre to 1 metre rule comes into force, but surely with 2 people in a van it's still closer than 1 metre! I'll have to take my tape measure in tomorrow and measure it.

26 Jun 2020, 20:48

It's not happening.
You are 30cm from each other in a van.

26 Jun 2020, 20:53

Driving lessons restarting 4th July , so what’s the difference ?

26 Jun 2020, 20:56

chickenwittle wrote:Driving lessons restarting 4th July , so what’s the difference ?

Driving lessons are optional

26 Jun 2020, 22:33

chickenwittle wrote:Driving lessons restarting 4th July , so what’s the difference ?

The advise for driving instructors is that both they and the student must:

Wear face masks
Keep the windows open
Uses gloves
Keep their arms and legs covered ie long sleeve top and shirt

Fancy it?

27 Jun 2020, 05:19

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:

The advise for driving instructors is that both they and the student must:

Wear face masks
Keep the windows open
Uses gloves
Keep their arms and legs covered ie long sleeve top and shirt

Fancy it?

The driving instructor also has to disinfect the car before and after each student.

I will not be getting in a van until the chief scientist and medical officer deem it safe and I have no idea why people are so desperate to get back in one.

27 Jun 2020, 07:10

Pidleypoo wrote:I have no idea why people are so desperate to get back in one.

Neither do I.

27 Jun 2020, 07:50

Bet RM are wishing they'd kept the bikes now :crazy:

27 Jun 2020, 15:52

You cant do the job at all while socially distancing - we can

27 Jun 2020, 17:15

Acca Dacca wrote:

There isn't even social distancing in the office. What's the difference?......

27 Jun 2020, 18:03

rambo1 wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:

There isn't even social distancing in the office. What's the difference?......

The difference is lack of social distancing in the office is either the fault of staff or the fault of local management which gives the business plausible deniability.

A business decision to implement van sharing doesn't.

27 Jun 2020, 19:08

Van sharing is very unwise on the part of the company at the moment in my opinion. They should not be forcing people who do not want to work in an unhealthy environment to do so. If our guys want to work with each other despite the risks, as they have been doing in a few cases already in our office, then let them, but don't force others who do not want it yet (and quite rightly so given the abject ignorance of science by government and companies because of the 'economy') to do so.

27 Jun 2020, 21:22

I would imagine most people who want van sharing to resume are like me,the unfortunate penalised worker that so happens to be able to drive that I get shed loads more work and responsibilities which is very unfair,the guys I'n my office no licence have been laughing for months oh look at all those oversize sucks to be you!!!

27 Jun 2020, 22:45

postieblueshirt wrote:I would imagine most people who want van sharing to resume are like me,the unfortunate penalised worker that so happens to be able to drive that I get shed loads more work and responsibilities which is very unfair,the guys I'n my office no licence have been laughing for months oh look at all those oversize sucks to be you!!!

Why dont they take them in a LWT like guys in my office who dont drive have been doing?

27 Jun 2020, 22:48

I won't get in any vehicle with anyone except my family until the virus is gone.

27 Jun 2020, 23:12

Acca Dacca wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:I would imagine most people who want van sharing to resume are like me,the unfortunate penalised worker that so happens to be able to drive that I get shed loads more work and responsibilities which is very unfair,the guys I'n my office no licence have been laughing for months oh look at all those oversize sucks to be you!!!

Why dont they take them in a LWT like guys in my office who dont drive have been doing?

Unfortunately there all taking advantage of the situation even putting items smaller than shoebox back in the oversize York's behind your back.van share should never have been brought in it was better when it was packet duties and bag drops.

28 Jun 2020, 00:21

I wouldn't be surprised if RM were looking at the hours used all around the country and will decide eventually if they're going to keep split shifts

28 Jun 2020, 11:00

Trouble is two walk duties shared (i.e. 12+ (40 min) loops and packets/parcels) cannot be cleared in one day without van sharing. So when the current temporary relaxation to the Royal Mail Universal Service Obligation comes to and end....what then?

28 Jun 2020, 11:08

1560loopsayear wrote:Trouble is two walk duties shared (i.e. 12+ (40 min) loops and packets/parcels) cannot be cleared in one day without van sharing. So when the current temporary relaxation to the Royal Mail Universal Service Obligation comes to and end....what then?

One problem is that we're judging things on the current level of parcels.

If you're going to do that then to be fair it's doubtful that van sharing would have cleared the two duties anyway.

The parcel volumes are similar to Christmas and we don't clear then.

If you were dealing with normal volumes and the situation was managed better (for instance giving the non driver an extra loop to allow large parcel delivery) it could work.

What we also have to understand is that the plan is to remove large parcels and Tracked from letter deliveries.

28 Jun 2020, 11:28

Woody Guthrie wrote:
1560loopsayear wrote:Trouble is two walk duties shared (i.e. 12+ (40 min) loops and packets/parcels) cannot be cleared in one day without van sharing. So when the current temporary relaxation to the Royal Mail Universal Service Obligation comes to and end....what then?

One problem is that we're judging things on the current level of parcels.

If you're going to do that then to be fair it's doubtful that van sharing would have cleared the two duties anyway.

The parcel volumes are similar to Christmas and we don't clear then.

If you were dealing with normal volumes and the situation was managed better (for instance giving the non driver an extra loop to allow large parcel delivery) it could work.

What we also have to understand is that the plan is to remove large parcels and Tracked from letter deliveries.

Given the drop in letters and increase in parcels/packets we tried to go down the route of giving the non driver 1-2 extra loops of mail only, plus packets that would post through doors (i.e. taking no longer than a letter). It was flatly refused by the non drivers as they wanted to keep things nice and hassle free, management simply not interested in changing duty structures to enable it. There must be literally hundreds of planning staff doing very little for RM just now (I can't imagine revisions etc are going ahead through this), so I can't understand why they haven't been repurposed to come up with some emergency planning.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2