not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Current Working Practices?

17 May 2020, 12:58

A quick question - what are offices doing currently to work with the 1 to a van delivery? My office is switching walk from day to day delivering mail every other day. This doesnt seem acceptable to me either as the postie or for the customer.

17 May 2020, 13:18

They are lucky then worse in other areas

17 May 2020, 13:23

knackeredneedadayoff wrote:They are lucky then worse in other areas

Really? Worse than every other day deliveries?

17 May 2020, 14:10

Totally, try 4 days for a round in our office, only tracked parcels went out, no complaints

17 May 2020, 15:20

Is that a one off or how the offices are working? :(

17 May 2020, 15:30

We are trying to do a walk every second day but that’s not guaranteed.Even then some of them walks are coming back as our office hasn’t paid any ot for weeks.

17 May 2020, 15:46

Does seem like we are trying to do our jobs one hand tied behind our backs. I wondered if everyone was doing the same as its killing me!

17 May 2020, 15:59

litl666 wrote:Does seem like we are trying to do our jobs one hand tied behind our backs. I wondered if everyone was doing the same as its killing me!

Why is it killing you? :arrrghhh

17 May 2020, 16:09

taking out 2 days mail and packets in one hit.

17 May 2020, 17:42

litl666 wrote:taking out 2 days mail and packets in one hit.

Well if your trying to do two days work in one day then more fool you unless you are getting paid a decent amount of overtime of course but i doubt you would be complaining if that was the case

17 May 2020, 18:06

litl666 wrote:taking out 2 days mail and packets in one hit.

How do you have the time?

Obviously you take your full break I assume. But on top of that we need extra time for returning to the office to use the toilets, and safety procedures like thorough cleaning of van interiors before you start.

Just stop doing the overtime, I suggest, unless you really need the money.

17 May 2020, 18:25

Our office has been on an "every second day" for a few weeks now, with some walks not getting mail out even that often (due to parcel volumes).

It depends on the circumstances in each office:

If there's enough staff, and those staff not driving can get to the walk, then the walks can be done whenever (as the managers see fit) so long as you don't both jump in the van.

If your office is short on staff, or in a position where pairs can't meet out on the walk, then things need be adjusted.

Whether any adjustments work well or not isn't necessarily relevant when it's a case of "make do with what you have" for the forseeable. If you can't complete, you can't complete.

17 May 2020, 18:55

Well we dont have the time but leaving it is frowned upon. We take our breaks. We are not allowed to walk out to our walks but have to prep a number of frames and then go out on a more local walk on foot if we arent going out on regular walk. I hear that other local offices are delivering the mail daily and wondered if we were the only office not doing so. If we leave anything its just going to sit there til our next time to go out which doesnt help the situation.

17 May 2020, 19:36

litl666 wrote:Well we dont have the time but leaving it is frowned upon. We take our breaks. We are not allowed to walk out to our walks but have to prep a number of frames and then go out on a more local walk on foot if we arent going out on regular walk. I hear that other local offices are delivering the mail daily and wondered if we were the only office not doing so. If we leave anything its just going to sit there til our next time to go out which doesnt help the situation.

It doesn't matter if frowned upon the situation is not caused by you and somebody taking home a lot more wages than us is tasked with finding a solution. Go to work, do what you can without "killing yourself" and don't stress about what you have no control over

17 May 2020, 21:39

litl666 wrote:Well we dont have the time but leaving it is frowned upon. We take our breaks. We are not allowed to walk out to our walks but have to prep a number of frames and then go out on a more local walk on foot if we arent going out on regular walk. I hear that other local offices are delivering the mail daily and wondered if we were the only office not doing so. If we leave anything its just going to sit there til our next time to go out which doesnt help the situation.

It doesn't matter if "leaving it is frowned on".

If you don't have enough time to do the work, then don't do it. Your manager cannot force you to do so when you tell them.

I know this is easier said than done, I sometimes can't be arsed with the hassle it brings. But please try.

19 May 2020, 19:37

Still one to a van. Bit weird that I've seen coppers paired up in panda cars together, and this afternoon spotted two blokes working in a Curry's van offloading a sofa. They might be a couple for all I know.

Im sure some hire van companies are open now. Guess Royal Mail don't feel obliged to use them if staff are working the evenings using the existing vans. Sod the customers though as they don't know if posties are going to be delivering at 7pm or not at all.

Imagine if it's like this by Xmas!!

20 May 2020, 01:16

postslippete wrote:Still one to a van. Bit weird that I've seen coppers paired up in panda cars together, and this afternoon spotted two blokes working in a Curry's van offloading a sofa. They might be a couple for all I know.

Im sure some hire van companies are open now. Guess Royal Mail don't feel obliged to use them if staff are working the evenings using the existing vans. Sod the customers though as they don't know if posties are going to be delivering at 7pm or not at all.

Imagine if it's like this by Xmas!!

Its avoid sharing a van IF POSSIBLE TO DO YOUR JOB without doing so

We can so therefore we dont share a van - what dont people get?

20 May 2020, 08:39

I think the top brass are chomping at the bit to get us back to pairing up in the vans with a full track & trace, daily testing regime prior to commencement of deliveries. They can't carry on with the situation the way it is long term.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1