not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Social distancing... Possible changes?

14 May 2020, 16:30

From the updated Coronavirus Q&A released yesterday.

What is the company’s position on social distancing?

Royal Mail supports Public Health England’s social distancing guidance. We have introduced and communicated temporary changes to operational processes. They include staggered meal breaks, cancellation of WTLLs and changes to doorstep deliveries. You can get more detail at PHE and NHS websites. Further information will be provided next week. Social distancing is everyone’s responsibility so please do all you can to follow the PHE guidance.

14 May 2020, 18:18

well i posted on here 3 weeks ago when the DOM had us in the middle of the floor. he told us they had word from their gaffers that it was looking like we won't be going back to van share, and this social distancing could be a permanent practice. fast forward 3 weeks, now he's saying if we don't go back to van share, the job is basically f****d in its current form. :whistle

14 May 2020, 19:12

Masks and gloves worn in the office as per government instructions and also while travelling in the van as a van share I reckon!

14 May 2020, 19:12

Further information will be provided next week

No hurry then.

14 May 2020, 19:24

There’s no way I’m going to van share while it remains obviously unsafe to do so. The fact that the government advice has changed because they want to end the lockdown prematurely after being too late to enter it doesn’t make an iota of difference.

14 May 2020, 20:03

FacesOfStone wrote:There’s no way I’m going to van share while it remains obviously unsafe to do so. The fact that the government advice has changed because they want to end the lockdown prematurely after being too late to enter it doesn’t make an iota of difference.

I was reading somewhere that there's one estimate that 1/3 of the UK population has already had corona

14 May 2020, 20:48

SpacePhoenix wrote:
FacesOfStone wrote:There’s no way I’m going to van share while it remains obviously unsafe to do so. The fact that the government advice has changed because they want to end the lockdown prematurely after being too late to enter it doesn’t make an iota of difference.

I was reading somewhere that there's one estimate that 1/3 of the UK population has already had corona

There's a hundred guesstimates out there from 5% to 50% and that's all they are but I can tell you something if the government thought for one minute that a third of the population has already had it they wouldn't be extending the furlough scheme until October.

14 May 2020, 21:11

Woody Guthrie wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

There's a hundred guesstimates out there from 5% to 50% and that's all they are but I can tell you something if the government thought for one minute that a third of the population has already had it they wouldn't be extending the furlough scheme until October.

There's that new antibody test that is supposedly 100% accurate, I wonder how long it'll take the government to start using it to test absolutely everyone (possibly anyone who tests negative getting the "have you currently got corona" test weekly

14 May 2020, 21:27

Countries in Europe have been using that test for almost a month.
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-52656808
In Spain, the health ministry said on Wednesday that preliminary results of one study, based on more than 60,000 antibody tests around the country, suggested about 5% of the population had been infected by coronavirus so far.

15 May 2020, 11:18

GRS wrote:Masks and gloves worn in the office as per government instructions and also while travelling in the van as a van share I reckon!

Absolutely not , I won’t get in a van until the chief medical officer says that social distancing is no longer required.

Less than 1 metre is 30-40 times higher chance than at 2 metres of catching the virus.

With more out at work and outdoors in general there a much higher chance of catching it in a van.

They would have to completely disinfect every van every day and that would not be enough.

Masks only protect someone else from you and we shouldn’t be wearing gloves because it makes no difference to us.

15 May 2020, 13:10

Woody Guthrie wrote:Countries in Europe have been using that test for almost a month.
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-52656808
In Spain, the health ministry said on Wednesday that preliminary results of one study, based on more than 60,000 antibody tests around the country, suggested about 5% of the population had been infected by coronavirus so far.

Similar test, but not the same test. The test used in Spain is supplied by REVIV and is 97% accurate, the one just approved for use in the UK has 100% accuracy (minimum is 98%) and is developed by Roche.

15 May 2020, 23:14

That's weird.
The Coronavirus Q&A was updated again today...and that reference to further information next week has been removed.

Royal Mail supports Public Health England’s social distancing guidance. We have introduced and communicated temporary changes to operational processes. They include staggered meal breaks, cancellation of WTLLs and changes to doorstep deliveries. You can get more detail at PHE and NHS websites. Social distancing is everyone’s responsibility so please do all you can to follow the PHE guidance.

Are they watching this site?

15 May 2020, 23:30

Yes. And others...77th brigade? (Hi Guys)
In case anyone hasn't noticed by now, there is deliberate misinformation being spread. That may include what you hear as 'official'.

17 May 2020, 16:24

Woody Guthrie wrote:That's weird.
The Coronavirus Q&A was updated again today...and that reference to further information next week has been removed.

Royal Mail supports Public Health England’s social distancing guidance. We have introduced and communicated temporary changes to operational processes. They include staggered meal breaks, cancellation of WTLLs and changes to doorstep deliveries. You can get more detail at PHE and NHS websites. Social distancing is everyone’s responsibility so please do all you can to follow the PHE guidance.

Are they watching this site?

Yes they do and I was just going to post up that it had changed again, weird.

19 May 2020, 08:06

It's no secret that moving to 1 person per van has caused huge problems when it hasn't been (or can't be) managed effectively.
I know there are a few people on this site who, for want of a better word, have good 'contacts' within RM.
Do RM see this as sustainable going forward? Are they actively looking at the situation and trying to maybe create workable ways round it? 'You've been doing it for 2 months now, so just carry on', seems to be the mantra.
Pretty much the whole country is set to go back to work soon, in much changed environments with spacing etc. After an initial few weeks of semi social distancing, the majority of offices I've read about on here have returned to the old ways (apart from van share), with 'hot desking', a practice the government want to severely limit, being such a common thing within RM.

19 May 2020, 11:11

themailman wrote:It's no secret that moving to 1 person per van has caused huge problems when it hasn't been (or can't be) managed effectively.
I know there are a few people on this site who, for want of a better word, have good 'contacts' within RM.
Do RM see this as sustainable going forward? Are they actively looking at the situation and trying to maybe create workable ways round it? 'You've been doing it for 2 months now, so just carry on', seems to be the mantra.
Pretty much the whole country is set to go back to work soon, in much changed environments with spacing etc. After an initial few weeks of semi social distancing, the majority of offices I've read about on here have returned to the old ways (apart from van share), with 'hot desking', a practice the government want to severely limit, being such a common thing within RM.

Of course RM don't see it as sustainable and i'm sure they are seeking advice on a daily basis on their H&S commitments.

Nobody is going to like it but the only way i can see offices where the majority of the walks are van shares moving on will be split shifts, how they work this is going to cause major problems.

19 May 2020, 11:16

Move the bulk of the parcels onto the afternoon shifts, make the deliveries 20% longer, buy/lease some more vans and move to one van per duty.

It's pretty much what their plan was anyway.

19 May 2020, 11:32

A2B wrote:
themailman wrote:It's no secret that moving to 1 person per van has caused huge problems when it hasn't been (or can't be) managed effectively.

Of course RM don't see it as sustainable and i'm sure they are seeking advice on a daily basis on their H&S commitments.

Nobody is going to like it but the only way i can see offices where the majority of the walks are van shares moving on will be split shifts, how they work this is going to cause major problems.

All we have is a wall of silence though on this, from the union and RM. 2 months on. Other industries are taking huge steps to change the way they operate.
You are correct to say that any changed won't be liked, as look at what happened when Rico tried to force them in, but let's be honest, that's the only way things can possibly work safely, isn't it? Are the union/new RM management going to come up with something radically different from split shifts, relocation of staff etc? Or will it just be re-packaged/rebranded with a token bonus attached.

19 May 2020, 11:35

Woody Guthrie wrote:Move the bulk of the parcels onto the afternoon shifts, make the deliveries 20% longer, buy/lease some more vans and move to one van per duty.

It's pretty much what their plan was anyway.

If that is the case, it will be exactly the same solution that Rico tried to force in. Will it get the same hostile reception depending on who proposes it?
It's as if the company is waiting for this virus to get bored and go away.

19 May 2020, 12:31

Will it get the same hostile reception depending on who proposes it?

The union's primary goal has to be to protect jobs, how we do the job and how much we get paid to do it has to come second because without the first the second is meaningless.

How safe are our jobs without a long term sustainable strategy?
Can we keep throwing clogs at the machines simply because we like to do things the same way... our way?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6