not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Have any of you been having issues socially distancing on delivery?

07 Apr 2020, 22:20

I'm getting pretty fed up of the general public at the moment. Bit of a rant here sorry.

I had to walk out into the road a few times today because people were literally sitting on the pavement (!) tending to their front gardens, weeding their front walls or digging flowerbeds right next to the pavement. And they all want to talk to me because they're bored out of their minds. To me it's just another risk of someone flinging spittle at my face.

You have entire households out, all dressed up and clinging together a group. Kids on bikes with their parents taking up the whole pavement while people then walk out into the road to get around them. I had to beep at some people wandering into the road without looking earlier. It's like a zombie apocalypse; infectious groups of mentally vacant people wandering around everywhere.

I'm tired of being the 'smiley postwoman'. I just want to keep my head down and get back indoors. I don't want to be calculating whether people will suddenly move off from a flowerbed and bump into me. I see an open garage or front door and I'm anxious, because a person could come around the corner, get surprised and splutter on me. It's actually middle-class smiley people who are currently posing the biggest risk to me personally because they all have garages, tended gardens and f**k all to do right now.

People think 'what are the chances' but when you're taking a chance hundreds of times a day, it adds up. I do not want to discuss my job with random strangers, I don't want people commenting on my PPE or lack thereof while they're needlessly outside of their homes. If someone is furloughed, as far as I'm concerned they are being paid out of the public purse to do a job: stay indoors and reduce the spread of the virus by removing themselves from the general population. But so many people seem to think it's a holiday, making 'the most of it' by bending the rules as far as they'll stretch and staying outside of their houses as much as possible while technically within their property line or 'exercising'. Then they thank you, while speaking to you face-to-face as they approach you to pick up a parcel or stand right in the way. If you want to thank me, stop ordering online and approaching me!!

I just wish the public understood that stay home means stay away from anywhere you could have a chance encounter with a person who is not in your household. It doesn't mean 'stay technically within the bounds of your own property even if that means others are forced to be closer than 2m to you'.

Sorry for the rant. Anyone else suffering this, especially in the good weather?

07 Apr 2020, 22:33

All I can say is be polite and kindly move away from them as you reply to them. Just remember come christmas time you will be stomping around looking for letters hanging out the letterboxes with tip money in it.

I got a tip today with 6 cans of beer and chocolates in as a thank you for working at the moment. If you're lucky you might get one too.

I had a couple of problems on my round. The 1st being a delivery of a registered passport special and I opened someones porch to knock on the internal door and they came out screaming at me asking why I went in to that door. I had to explain i had an important document to deliver and they abused me as to why I didnt knock on the porch door. I said sorry and next time I went with a letter they had put a box outside for my mail to go in.. lol.

2nd time was because I put someones letter onto his wall to save him having to open his letterbox as he was only 10m away in his garden and he rang up and complained about me at the DO because I didnt hand him the mail ??? He seemed to think I was being rude putting it on his gate when actually I was trying to maintain social distancing !!!

These two were solved I'm glad to add and there were apologies all around

07 Apr 2020, 22:34

Yep you nailed it perfectly, but missed out a new subgroup : the more rotund members of society who’ve decided to take up running and cycling because A&E is quiet at the moment

07 Apr 2020, 23:10

Stick to the rules.

If they try to aproach your 2m zone say "whoaa" and place the mail and parcels on the floor in front of you and then step back while saying "sorry I can't hand it to you, but we have to stick to the social distancing rules".

Don't feel guilty it is what it is and the the more of us that adhere to the rules the sooner we will come out of the other side.

07 Apr 2020, 23:17

The cyclist’s out on the rurals at the moment as a bloody menace, big groups of them as well with not much social distancing going on. I nearly took one out when I opened the van door last week, I looked in the mirror and there was nobody there then he just appeared as the door was half open. They think it’s a race track, I wouldn’t have been surprised if he was doing 30mph +. I don’t mind people exercising but that are putting themselves and others at risk, come of a bike at the speeds they are doing and it’s an ambulance job.

07 Apr 2020, 23:18

Pretty much summed it up, everybody especially with having a few warm days has been outside mowing laws, jet washing drives,gardening or Running,cycling or walking around aimlessly like you say and there not that considerate some times forcing you to have to move around them and i still have people trying to open the door to me or approach me also its pretty tedious. Actually would like the weather to get a bit colder and miserable to hopefully keep them inside

07 Apr 2020, 23:45

I actually think the job is brilliant at the moment (so probably in the minority)everybody's home to take their packets and parcels in, everybody's much more friendly and they are actually appreciating what we are doing for a change.
Its not that hard keeping your distance and families are allowed to be in groups if from the same household,a lot of posties seem to be getting frayed at the edges which is understandable but i am not one of them,i believe your born on a certain day and you will die on a certain day,be it corona,cancer, car crash ,heart attack or old age (no i am not religious) just take all the precautions you can and try not to have a breakdown.

08 Apr 2020, 00:11

TBH I don't mind those hanging around a bit in their garden/on their front. It's understandable in many places, especially if they don't have great back yards.

The ones that annoy me are those that, while walking down the road toward you, insist upon pushing us roadside in spite of the fact that we obviously need access to the houses or paths they want to brush shoulders with, only for them to continue into the distance as they don't want access to any house on the street.

08 Apr 2020, 07:15

I know exactly what you mean. A couple walking their dog yesterday must’ve had the worlds longest lead, little Buster there had a 15ft lead while they admired people’s gardens stopping to look. It meant I had to wait for them to finish their tour of the Chelsea flower show before I could access 3 houses.

As for people coming up to you for their mail, I don’t give them the option. As soon as someone in the garden or drive spots me, I tell them in a firm but friendly voice ‘I’ll just put it there for you’ be it on top of a hedge/wall/plant pot/car or even if there’s nowhere accessing for them to get it I just put it on the ground. There’s no discussion to be had, I’m keeping my distance.

I’m actually finding kids are the worse for it, walking up to you. You’d think the first thing the parents would do when the lockdown happened was to tell them not to approach anyone. Instead it’s just a long holiday for them, out in the streets on their bikes etc.

08 Apr 2020, 07:29

My partners been taking 10/15 later than normal to finish her loops, she’s saying the oldies keep talking to her, some have not seen anyone for days! Not your problem, give them a “Morning” look away & keep walking, job done.

08 Apr 2020, 07:47

Just joggers.
Might end up giving one of them an accidental 'clothesline'.

08 Apr 2020, 08:45

If I see people out and don't have a clear route to avoiding them, I walk past regardless of what I have for them.

08 Apr 2020, 16:06

People are definately out and about more the traffic on the way back today wasn't much lighter than normal but there are a lot more people on the pavements than a normal day.

08 Apr 2020, 19:38

I do like this new way of placing the item at the door step, I’m usually up the next drive by the time they answer the door & can see them pick it up from over the fence & quick shout from me “Cheers” I will continue working this way when this CV is sorted :dance

08 Apr 2020, 21:58

Emptying Post Offices! People idling right by the entrance, having a long chat with a neighbour or the person behind the desk. It’s cramped enough in there as it is with all the return parcels we’re having to deal with. And surprise surprise the same faces that are always up there bang on collection time asking if can I squeeze one more letter in? NO stick it in the box and it’ll go tomorrow you’ve f**king missed it again for the 100th time you daft c**t. We have a job to do so get out of the bloody way and mind the 2m rule while you’re at it!

09 Apr 2020, 20:27

Hmmm... :hmmmm All of this reminds me of something.

Oh, here it is:

Jackasses.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1