not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

LTB 182/20 - D2D NHS CAMPAIGN - April 2020

07 Apr 2020, 08:20

LTB 182/20 - D2D NHS CAMPAIGN – April 2020

No. 182/2020

1st April 2020

D2D NHS CAMPAIGN – April 2020

Dear Colleagues,

As previously advised to Branches in LTB 173/20 colleagues will be aware that the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson is writing to every household in the UK, enforcing the stay safe policy being ordered by government, as well as other advice.

Accordingly, we have attempted over the course of the week to establish more detail in regards to this mailing and to also document a jointly agreed set of guidelines with Royal Mail management at a National level.

Disappointingly, Royal Mail has once again chosen not to engage with the Union at a National Level in any genuine or meaningful way in order for us to provide satisfactory advice in terms exact timescales of when these items will be arriving into delivery units or the operational process for delivering them.

Given the current attitude from the Royal Mail senior management team, along with their current structures and interfaces with the National Union means that it is extremely difficult to deal with current issues in a joined up and constructive manner. It is unacceptable that at a time of National unprecedented crisis and at a time when everyone should be pulling together for National interest that Royal mail should act in this way. Particularly in regards to an important National Government posting, which contains advice that is in the public interest.

Therefore, we are issuing the following advice to our Branches and Representatives in order for them to engage in Area/local discussions with management along the following lines to establish an agreed process for dealing with the National NHS D2D drop covering the following points;

These National NHS D2D items take precedence over all other national D2D items. (Taking account of CWU policy of suspending other commercial D2D items.)
Essential indoor plan for the prep of items to ensure ‘warm call’ is facilitated as far as possible (which would include advance and staggered prep arrangements); noting some units perform reduced hours on Monday and Tuesday.

Daily joint discussion in order to establish product priority along with fair and manageable workloads taking account of the current working arrangements.
Establish how the delivery of the items can take place in units with high absence levels.
Maintain social distancing as part of any local arrangements.
Comply with current ‘one person, one van’ policy – with adequate replenishment solutions, including dealing with any weight on delivery issues.

As outlined above local discussions will need to take place as a matter of urgency in order to ensure compliance with the operational specification as much as possible given the measures and constraints in delivery offices that are already in place as a consequence of the current Covid-19 crisis.

In regards to the 3-day delivery specification we are of the understanding that this contract and commitment has been given to the Government on a “best endeavours” basis.

Our complete dissatisfaction continues to be made clear to the company who seem to believe that it is better to plough on regardless without the CWU, whilst continually showing disregard to our members.

Any enquires as to the content of this LTB should be directed to the Outdoor Department, reference 230.03, email address: outdoorsecretary@cwu.org.

Yours sincerely,

Mark Baulch

CWU Assistant Secretary

LTB – D2D NHS CAMPAIGN April 2020 MB doc 2_DG_TB

07 Apr 2020, 13:02

It looks like RM management think they have the union over a barrel, they believe the union won't take any action because it might affect any public support we might have at the moment, the result is just ignore the union as though it doesn't exist, I would guess this would be the way they plan to treat the union and its members from now on!
I think we have no choice now but to call a strike as soon as we can unfortunately.

07 Apr 2020, 13:06

sorefeet17 wrote:It looks like RM management think they have the union over a barrel, they believe the union won't take any action because it might affect any public support we might have at the moment, the result is just ignore the union as though it doesn't exist, I would guess this would be the way they plan to treat the union and its members from now on!
I think we have no choice now but to call a strike as soon as we can unfortunately.

Unfortunately my gut feeling is that if we were to call a strike, the government would get an injunction

07 Apr 2020, 14:19

We haven't had any D2Ds this week, apart from the Johnson letter. And have also been told there won't be any for the foreseeable

07 Apr 2020, 23:11

Bit late now, got most of mine done along with a double glazing d2d. Was that busy on letters today, got rid of 80% already.

08 Apr 2020, 07:25

I really struggled with the Govt D2D yesterday. I was on a round which I know but I’m not that familiar with the frame (I’m PT), and a line manager had bundled it for me, he only pulled out that Govt letter for the addresses where I was going to but most of the frame is double slots. If the addresses were simply 1, 2, 3, 4 etc there would be no issue but it’s one of those rounds where you’re constantly crossing over the road eg 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 7, 9, 11, 13, 6, 8.

So some won’t get the important letter and others will get 2 lots of it. What a mess.

08 Apr 2020, 08:43

HTPostman wrote:I really struggled with the Govt D2D yesterday. I was on a round which I know but I’m not that familiar with the frame (I’m PT), and a line manager had bundled it for me, he only pulled out that Govt letter for the addresses where I was going to but most of the frame is double slots. If the addresses were simply 1, 2, 3, 4 etc there would be no issue but it’s one of those rounds where you’re constantly crossing over the road eg 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 7, 9, 11, 13, 6, 8.

So some won’t get the important letter and others will get 2 lots of it. What a mess.

I wouldn't worry about it its not your fault, there's nothing in the letter that everybody didn't know already anyway.

08 Apr 2020, 09:46

I thought they did away with the constant road crossing , obviously not !!

08 Apr 2020, 10:02

sorefeet17 wrote:I think we have no choice now but to call a strike as soon as we can unfortunately.

I know we risk loss of public support if this happens, but drastic action is now called for, for many reasons, not least the lack of PPE.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1