not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

LTB 352/20 Joint Statement - Royal Mail Group and the CWU :Pt 2

11 Jul 2020, 16:39

Munchboii wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:I'd give it 5 years tops before RM look at some sort of system for the dynamic daily generation of walks based on what's coming into a DO for that day

Unless letter scanning is going to be a thing then absolutely not. We have sequencing now and even that missorts letters. You can do all the letter sequencing you want but to Royal Mails agony we will always still need letter frames to get the missorts and flats in. Plus all the small large letter packets. In Royal Mails ideal world we would get the sequenced mail straight off the machine and walk out the door to deliver saving hours of prep time. But we know that won't work. Until they can get a machine that sequences flats, letters and large letter packets into a bundle with no missorts then we will always still be on the frames.

Once this GDPR marketing mail reduction settles I can't see letters going down for a while, hospital appointments and court documents will always still needed by post, for example.

Missorts will happen whether it's a human or a machine sorting the mail.

There are already machines that can sort and sequence letters and large letters together, I've not idea what the maximum thickness is that they can handle.
Manual letter scanning is kinda possible with something like https://www.solystic.com/manual-sorting-assistance.

Don't know if sequencing of packets will ever be doable but they could probably eventually be sorted to loop level. Upstream mech sorting could get a list of what's coming through then another bit of software could generate the loops

11 Jul 2020, 18:35

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Munchboii wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:I'd give it 5 years tops before RM look at some sort of system for the dynamic daily generation of walks based on what's coming into a DO for that day

Unless letter scanning is going to be a thing then absolutely not. We have sequencing now and even that missorts letters. You can do all the letter sequencing you want but to Royal Mails agony we will always still need letter frames to get the missorts and flats in. Plus all the small large letter packets. In Royal Mails ideal world we would get the sequenced mail straight off the machine and walk out the door to deliver saving hours of prep time. But we know that won't work. Until they can get a machine that sequences flats, letters and large letter packets into a bundle with no missorts then we will always still be on the frames.

Once this GDPR marketing mail reduction settles I can't see letters going down for a while, hospital appointments and court documents will always still needed by post, for example.

Missorts will happen whether it's a human or a machine sorting the mail.

There are already machines that can sort and sequence letters and large letters together, I've not idea what the maximum thickness is that they can handle.
Manual letter scanning is kinda possible with something like https://www.solystic.com/manual-sorting-assistance.

Don't know if sequencing of packets will ever be doable but they could probably eventually be sorted to loop level. Upstream mech sorting could get a list of what's coming through then another bit of software could generate the loops

Its not going to happen within 5 years mate

12 Jul 2020, 15:41

Woody Guthrie wrote:I've been involved in all types of revisions some of them using exactly those methods to even out the duties and the only thing you can guarantee is that no two people even reserves will ever agree on how long a duty takes.

An expensive and ultimately futile waste of time and energy trying to 'balance' duties.

Combination of factors but unfortunately in this company you get those that always carve up duties to look good or are downright nasty and constantly whisper in managers ears that such and such's duty is way too short because "they don't do it the right way".

Only place I've ever worked where if you do the job correctly and to a high standard and your knowledge of the job is very high you still get the same pay of some numpty who couldn't give a damn about how many screw ups they do each day and knows sod all in the grand scheme of things.

All it's done is create a selfish none cooperative none team working backstabbing environment. And they wonder why nothing ever improves or changes.

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 3   1, 2, 3