not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

08 Jul 2020, 10:39

milly wrote:
deltaforce wrote:
milly wrote:
iainwilson wrote:
milly wrote:It's time to merge Royal Mail and Parcelforce into one company,it makes no sense to have both companies delivering Parcels.
Most decent size towns and cities will have separate Royal Mail depots and Parcelforce depots when it would be more economical to use one site.


I work in Rotherham Parcelforce we cover Sheffield Barnsley Doncaster Rotherham Peak District Wakefield Huddersfield Chesterfield Worksop Scunthorpe Goole Grimsby and anywhere in between from the one depot. We also have a Royal Mail temporary sorting area in the depot as well.


I am sure it would be much cheaper to absorb all of that work into the local DO's for delivery.

You wouldn’t have the room and the vans would need to be much larger.There would be collection to consider as well. My local Parcelforce depot has a few 40 ton trucks on premises. I’m sure they wouldn’t fit in the typical d/o


The Parcels would be unloaded from the 40 tonne vehicle into the 7.5tonne vehicles then onward to the various DO's, this is what happens in my office.
As for deliveries Royal Mail would have to buy more Sprinters but they would also be using Parcelforce's as well if we were to amalgamate.
When we get back to normal and have two people to a van it would be far easier to deliver large parcels between two people.
I work on collections and quite often Parcelforce don't even bother picking up from Post Offices(quite often Parcels are not picked up for a few days) I could easily take them as I would usually have space in my van for them.


A couple of of the DOs we cover I believe they have to unload the 7.5 tonne vehicle in the street as they physically can't get it into the DO yard

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

08 Jul 2020, 10:51

A couple of of the DOs we cover I believe they have to unload the 7.5 tonne vehicle in the street as they physically can't get it into the DO yard


We're talking about the future not the present or the past. Delivery offices and even mail centres that aren't fit for purpose just won't exist.

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

08 Jul 2020, 11:47

Woody Guthrie wrote:
A couple of of the DOs we cover I believe they have to unload the 7.5 tonne vehicle in the street as they physically can't get it into the DO yard


We're talking about the future not the present or the past. Delivery offices and even mail centres that aren't fit for purpose just won't exist.

That would be near enough all the DOs being relocated (and probably merged at the same time). Possibly the number of DOs cut by 2/3 with "super-DOs" being created?

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

08 Jul 2020, 17:33

Some of the Parcelforce items are 2.5 m long and loads of bulk deliveries as well. Car doors and bonnets bumpers flat packed furniture mattresses. It takes up a load of room.

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

09 Jul 2020, 08:13

iainwilson wrote:Some of the Parcelforce items are 2.5 m long and loads of bulk deliveries as well. Car doors and bonnets bumpers flat packed furniture mattresses. It takes up a load of room.


Our office is quite rural with many small towns so we collect around 5 or 6 yorkies a night for Parcelforce as it is uneconomical for Parcelforce to collect them, now and again there are some very large items but from what I have seen there is nothing that Royal Mail couldn't deliver providing we had more Sprinters.

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

09 Jul 2020, 08:22

The size of the van etc is not the issue, the issue is whether RM should take Parcelforce under its own brand and operate the distribution through its existing RM delivery network instead of operating an entirely different network dedicated to large items.

The existing vans and drivers (most of them) would still be there just wearing different uniforms but the real issue and potential savings is the reduction in facilities, real estate and non operational staff.

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

09 Jul 2020, 08:30

Woody Guthrie wrote:The size of the van etc is not the issue, the issue is whether RM should take Parcelforce under its own brand and operate the distribution through its existing RM delivery network instead of operating an entirely different network dedicated to large items.

The existing vans and drivers (most of them) would still be there just wearing different uniforms but the real issue and potential savings is the reduction in facilities, real estate and non operational staff.


I agree entirely the cost savings would be huge and we could sell off many sites and reinvest into larger sites that were geared towards the 21st Century rather than the 19th Century.

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

09 Jul 2020, 21:16

norris9 wrote:Couldn't Royal Mail become like Amazon and become a retailer + delivery company and sell everything and anything online. Set up a few massive warehouses and do what Amazon does. Everything sold there gets delivered by us. It seems that sooner or later everyone will be ordering goods online expecting a same day service. The easiest way we could offer a same day service is by selling goods ourselves.

Royal Shopping
Royal Foods
Royal Mail

Would be jobs galore.


:thumbup I've often thought they could even offer a trunking service to get a pallet or whatever from A to B, for a set price. Lets face it, we've got the fleet. The people at the top don't or wont see the opportunities.

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

11 Jul 2020, 20:00

milly wrote:
iainwilson wrote:
milly wrote:It's time to merge Royal Mail and Parcelforce into one company,it makes no sense to have both companies delivering Parcels.
Most decent size towns and cities will have separate Royal Mail depots and Parcelforce depots when it would be more economical to use one site.


I work in Rotherham Parcelforce we cover Sheffield Barnsley Doncaster Rotherham Peak District Wakefield Huddersfield Chesterfield Worksop Scunthorpe Goole Grimsby and anywhere in between from the one depot. We also have a Royal Mail temporary sorting area in the depot as well.


I am sure it would be much cheaper to absorb all of that work into the local DO's for delivery.


It may become part of the 300 Packet / Parcel Delivery Offices R M are planning

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

12 Jul 2020, 16:52

heapsy wrote:
norris9 wrote:Couldn't Royal Mail become like Amazon and become a retailer + delivery company and sell everything and anything online. Set up a few massive warehouses and do what Amazon does. Everything sold there gets delivered by us. It seems that sooner or later everyone will be ordering goods online expecting a same day service. The easiest way we could offer a same day service is by selling goods ourselves.

Royal Shopping
Royal Foods
Royal Mail

Would be jobs galore.


:thumbup I've often thought they could even offer a trunking service to get a pallet or whatever from A to B, for a set price. Lets face it, we've got the fleet. The people at the top don't or wont see the opportunities.



Can deliver people's Food, letters and blow up doll in one go.

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

19 Jul 2020, 13:32

Number one on the list for CWU should be no compulsory redundancies. Let those that want to go leave and give those that want a job security.
I speak as someone that would take the money and go.

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

19 Jul 2020, 15:33

antcpfc wrote:Number one on the list for CWU should be no compulsory redundancies. Let those that want to go leave and give those that want a job security.
I speak as someone that would take the money and go.


I agree. There will always be some who would gladly go. The union shouldn't try to save every job. I honestly believe that would put us on a collision course with RM which could be disastrous. My main concern, with falling mail volumes would be that RM call the CWUs bluff. Either take the job losses or reduce contracted hours for all the full timers due to being unsustainable. How many could afford to lose money?

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

19 Jul 2020, 16:05

Both sides will be looking to have a deal agreed by the time R M holds there Annual General Meeting on the 8th September

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

19 Jul 2020, 16:31

By the way Terry was talking the other day VR’s sound inevitable. I think the union have accepted it is the only way to go

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

19 Jul 2020, 18:30

The real question for the union is how many members do they need to remain a viable concern?

Joint statement now let's get into the real negotiations

19 Jul 2020, 20:25

wallan wrote:Both sides will be looking to have a deal agreed by the time R M holds there Annual General Meeting on the 8th September

Well they did set a deadline for end of july did they not.

Previous page Next page


Page 3 of 3   1, 2, 3