not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

35 hour Tuesday to Saturday

16 Jul 2020, 22:38

Sir Henry wrote:6 Jam on it
7 A pony
8 The moon

9 VAR
10 ( . ) ( . )

X
V

17 Jul 2020, 00:25

gb93 wrote:As I have previously said I now personally dont have a problem if we go to a 5 day letter uso providing.
1 No compulsory redundancies
2 35 hour week including a 30 minute meal relief
3 Have a Saturday parcel/special delivery & hopefully Sunday parcel delivery too so enhancing overtime opportunities
4 If its 3 year deal at least 3% pay rise or current inflation rate if above 3% with hour off working week each year
5 Protect the ft/pt ratio so most full time posts made redundant can be filled with part timers moving up

That’s about the best we can hope for, only point would be it should be a 40 min break. I think it will drag on for abit, boss up at ours says natural turnover of posties is about 1200 a month nationwide so they will happily left them carry on leaving for free for abit yet.

17 Jul 2020, 00:46

gb93 wrote:"Ideally like to keep the 6 day uso even though decline in letters
"Ambassadors talking about a 3 day uso"
"Ambassadors talking about 20 000 job cuts there wont be (20 000) job cuts.
Anyone else getting vibe for 5 day letter delivery coming soon yet

I think you are right

Terry doesnt have a good poker face :chuckle

17 Jul 2020, 00:49

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
gb93 wrote:As I have previously said I now personally dont have a problem if we go to a 5 day letter uso providing.
3 Have a Saturday parcel/special delivery & hopefully Sunday parcel delivery too so enhancing overtime opportunities
4 If its 3 year deal at least 3% pay rise or current inflation rate if above 3% with hour off working week each year
5 Protect the ft/pt ratio so most full time posts made redundant can be filled with part timers moving up

That’s about the best we can hope for, only point would be it should be a 40 min break. I think it will drag on for abit, boss up at ours says natural turnover of posties is about 1200 a month nationwide so they will happily left them carry on leaving for free for abit yet.

The length of the breaks will depend on the length of the shift, from another thread:

Attendance length............ total breaks..... probable pattern
Less than 2 hours 30 minutes none (a 10 min grace break should be provided if work permits)
2 hours 30 to 3 hours................10 mins.................. 10
3 hours 1 to 3 hours 30..... .......15 mins....................15
3 hours 31 to 4 hours 59..... .......20 mins.................. 20
5 hours to 7 hours................... 30 mins...................30
7 hours 1 to 8 hours 59..... .......40 mins..............40 or 20 + 20
9 hours to 10 hours 59...............50 mins................30 + 20
11 hours to 12 hours 59..... .......60 mins............. 40 + 20 or 30 + 30
13 hours or longer..... ..............70 mins..................40 + 30

17 Jul 2020, 06:44

On deliveries it would probably be 2 short days (under 7 hours) & 3 longer.
So for sake of 30 min over week I personally wouldnt mind it being just a 30 minute break every day if it greased a decent deal.

09 Aug 2020, 17:04

How can contracted hours be cut when packets are still through the roof, and online shopping keeps growing from strength to strength? How can there be “short days”? Yes, Royal Mail seem to be manipulating the flow of mail and making Mondays lighter, from a letters point of view, but the packets and parcels are still at high levels, which keeps our sorting and delivery times long (not short!). And, although letters may be down in some offices, they’re not down in all offices, plus people’s driveways and laneways are still the same length so you still have to walk/drive the same distance with two letters instead of three or four i.e. delivery times are still the same length with a slight drop in letters, but longer with the increased volume of packets and parcels, plus it takes significantly longer to successfully deliver a parcel than putting letters through a letterbox, and this is not being taken into account by management or the union.

09 Aug 2020, 17:13

thelittlesthobo wrote:How can contracted hours be cut when packets are still through the roof, and online shopping keeps growing from strength to strength?

And when they put everything over shoe box size on a dedicated parcel route?

18 Aug 2020, 08:39

I'm open to new ideas and ways of working but the biggest issue with losing a day off of the USO is that Royal Mail won't simply be pushing for one day as a USO free day in the future; but looking to get rid of the USO altogether. If that happens it would wipe out a huge chunk of its workforce as mail simply keeps rolling over from the previous day.

The main factor though is trying to make a 35 hour 5 day week sustainable because we will have extra mail and "non-tracked packets" to deliver on Mondays, so that day becomes a long rather than a short day. Also we are expecting all mail and parcels to be delivered within 7 hours a day (7 x 5 = 35) which includes our 30 minute meal relief when our usual long day from Wednesday to Friday is around 8 hours! Are Royal Mail going to reduce duty sizes or are we all shepherded into believing that mail will be constantly and consistently down from lockdown levels even though the business is now believed to be trying to increase mail volumes as they have said that we only profit when parcels are being delivered with the mail? Can you imagine a world whereby you don't have arguments with your manager that you can't deliver the post because you have suddenly got less time to deliver it in?

31 Aug 2020, 10:06

The best we can hope for, and logically speaking it's the only option, is for RM to go with a five day operation Monday to Friday probably with a complete shutdown on 'the weekend'. It's a win-win for RM as they get to make large savings on overheads and make out they are a good employer & kind to their staff.
I still think that they will first push with the regulator & government for an every other day six days a week based operation which would enable even more 'cost savings' in terms of even less staff requirement than moving to a five day operation.

31 Aug 2020, 11:01

I'm sure if it went to a vote 90% of posties would be in favor of loosing Saturday delivery, bring it on Monday to Friday, weekends off :nana

31 Aug 2020, 11:09

I agree give everyone the full weekend off, most staff will accept that.

Is the USO being discussed in these high level talks between RM and CWU?

31 Aug 2020, 12:42

1560loopsayear wrote:I agree give everyone the full weekend off, most staff will accept that.

Is the USO being discussed in these high level talks between RM and CWU?

Yes, according to the joint statement 2nd July;

5. To develop a mutual interest’s strategy for the future, the Royal Mail and CWU will now also explore the potential to better utilise the company’s unrivalled infrastructure, including the following: -

Developing a joint strategy to maintain the USO as part of the social fabric of the UK, including exploring the potential for new USO products to support its long-term economic sustainability.
Last edited by rogersh on 31 Aug 2020, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

31 Aug 2020, 12:44

twoloops wrote:I'm sure if it went to a vote 90% of posties would be in favor of loosing Saturday delivery, bring it on Monday to Friday, weekends off :nana

It will probably mean working 5 days over seven. There is unlikely to be any of this... :nana
Probably more of this ..... :sad:

31 Aug 2020, 12:50

twoloops wrote:I'm sure if it went to a vote 90% of posties would be in favor of loosing Saturday delivery, bring it on Monday to Friday, weekends off :nana

The 300 or so LAT Packet / Parcel Delivery Offices will have to provide a 7 Day Service , if not the work goes to a company that dose

31 Aug 2020, 15:04

We all know whats coming, 3 days for letters 7 for parcels/specials.

31 Aug 2020, 16:32

2yearpostie wrote:We all know whats coming, 3 days for letters 7 for parcels/specials.

Royal Mail would definitely be happy getting mail delivery’s down to 3 days but surely the union won’t be, anyone think the union and ourselves are still in a strong enough position to just get one day’s mail stopped or you think the 3 day’s is what’s coming and 7 for parcels. With the way lots of duties are only getting tracked parcels and specials some days I actually think the public would see a 3 day a week mail service as acceptable.

31 Aug 2020, 19:33

wallan wrote:

The 300 or so LAT Packet / Parcel Delivery Offices will have to provide a 7 Day Service , if not the work goes to a company that dose

If that were to end up being all Tracked then that could end up being something like 7.5k Tracked per LAT office

31 Aug 2020, 20:41

Manboat wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:We all know whats coming, 3 days for letters 7 for parcels/specials.

Royal Mail would definitely be happy getting mail delivery’s down to 3 days but surely the union won’t be, anyone think the union and ourselves are still in a strong enough position to just get one day’s mail stopped or you think the 3 day’s is what’s coming and 7 for parcels. With the way lots of duties are only getting tracked parcels and specials some days I actually think the public would see a 3 day a week mail service as acceptable.

The company are always going to go for less days than they actually want then the union can claim a victory as it won’t be as bad as it could have been, whatever it is it won’t be good for us.

06 Sep 2020, 18:49

RM need to go 7 days a week to compete with our rivals, obviously staff won’t be working the full week n will get at least one day off. Let’s start being realistic in these threads , if RM was to drop letters any day of the week that would mean job losses. Monday’s are only currently quiet as the DSA is not entering our system at the weekends. Mailcentres will shortly start to receive DSA again at the weekends bringing the normal mail profile back.

07 Sep 2020, 17:39

was heavy today. first Monday in a while. for our office anyway.

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4